all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed I made a mace. I'm underwhelmed so far, but I'm probably doing it wrong.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Al Ciampa Mace Swings and Benching?

I used Sledge Hammers with 10-20lb for Mace Swings and liked it a lot. Playing with Sledgehammers is very satisfying, like lifting a stone or bending a 60D.

I never stuck with it though. I have been doing a run or Smolov Jr for Bench and thought Mace Swings might be a good compliment to pressing. I know some use Mace Swings to warmup for pressing.

It definitely cues to not let the shoulder separate and using the lats.

Last edited:
@Geoff Chafe
I made a long handled one, and then just used a 15 and 20lb sledge for mace swinging. I did enjoy it overall but my body's response to it was more the obliques and abs and felt very little comparative improvement or change in my shoulders, grip, arms, balance etc.

It came down to training time vs goals. I'm curious what other training effect folks are seeing with this long term - I only stuck with it for a month or two.

42" is actually a pretty good size, but at the low end. I have a few different lengths and the one that has the best feel to me is the longest one, a 48" handle plus a few inches for plates. I also have one with a globe end that is 48" overall.

With the longer mace in a room with an 8' ceiling I have to be careful to keep my hands from getting too high when swinging it through the upright position in front of my body because it can hit the ceiling (and I'm only 5'9"). With a shorter one (about 42") I don't have to think about it, but I much prefer the feel of the longer ones.

So if you are tall and using it indoors, a shorter length may be more practical. If ceiling clearance isn't an issue then longer is better to get a fuller pendulum effect.

For one-handed swinging, I use my clubbells, which are shorter, and open up some different moves because you can swinging them head down toward the floor without hitting the floor.
Good info Steve, I'll add a bit to it as ceiling ht is no issue, for now I'll practice and then practice some more, I do like the shoulder aspect as well as the full body work.
Do you 'park' the shaft on the shoulder or hold it vertical when doing 360s? I've been holding it in front of me, then push sideways with my hands to initiate the swing behind, thereby kinda keeping the middle of the shaft closer to my center, this seems to maximize mobility without jerkiness in the movement..

Do you 'park' the shaft on the shoulder or hold it vertical when doing 360s?
I never park the shaft on the shaft on the shoulder. For the most part I let the mace swing through the vertical position in front of me without stopping it in a stationary vertical position.

I've been holding it in front of me, then push sideways with my hands to initiate the swing behind, thereby kinda keeping the middle of the shaft closer to my center
The movement of the hands is pretty much straight up over the head to the back position, then forward over the head and down to the front position. The hands rotate around each other (the bottom most hand in the front positon becomes the top most hand in the back position), but the movement of the hands together is basically straight up and down, staying very close the center line.

You tip the head of the mace to the side and over the shoulder, but the hands stay centered (give or take a LITTLE sideways displacement, especially when initiating the first rep from a stationary front position, and perhaps a little when transitioning over the head).

I made a mace using ready-mix concrete, an empty protein powder canister and a 4' x 2" round handle.

I should weigh it but it's probably a little over 15 pounds. It's pretty heavy if am at the end of the handle. It is significantly easier if I choke up on it six inches.

I've been doing 10-to-2s and 360s. First session was really awkward as I learned the movement, and I felt it in my triceps the next day (which probably means I was using my triceps too much.)

I got smoother in the next two sessions and I wasn't sore in my triceps, but I didn't feel like my shoulders were really getting worked hard or in a special way.

I'm going to continue doing easy sessions as a finisher while I get the movement down, but so far I'm not seeing the hype. Maybe with longer sessions that will change.

IMHO, a good next step from a kettlebell to something with a longer handle is an Indian Club. They're typically relatively light. I've attended one workshop where I used 1- and 2-lb. clubs and thought it was great. I also attended a club workshop where 6 lbs. was the lightest and people were using 10 kg clubs - I was overwhelmed and didn't enjoy the experience.

I remember my first kettlebell experience - 16 kg, and 2-handed swings just about knocked me over. But 2 weeks later, I ordered a 24 kg - 'nuff said. :)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom