all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed I made an interesting discovery about tension

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

3letterslong

Level 6 Valued Member
I don't know if this deserves a post of its own, but I'm posting it anyways.

I've been trying to include 10 minutes (accumulated) of dead hangs every day. Yesterday, I knew I'd have two hours to kill between meetings so I planned on going to an outdoor calisthenics park and fitting in some hanging and crawling.

I'd never been to this calishtenics park before, but it had the dumbest design for a calisthenics park I'd ever seen: the bars were too tall to do dips or rows on and too short to do pull-ups. They were definitely too short to do dead hangs on, but I was like, "I can still make this work. I'll just do an L-sit to get my feet off the ground while I dead hang."

Long story short, I discovered that it is impossible for me to do an ab contraction from a dead hang. Literally impossible. The moment I started pulling my pelvis to my rib cage, I reflexively started pulling myself into an active hang. It was like an involuntary reflex I couldn't break. I was like, "eff it, I'm 1/3 of the way to a pull-up, I may as well do pull-ups." So then I angrily did an L-sit pull-up workout and showed up at my next appointment complaining that my body defied me.

TLDR: I figured out what hollow holds are supposed to contribute to pull-ups, something I've been getting wrong all this time. Now I know what it feels like when they're enhancing the lift.

I'm going to have to try this, will report back.

I think I can tilt my pelvis while dead hanging, but will try it in order to confirm.....

I'm going to have to try this, will report back.

I think I can tilt my pelvis while dead hanging, but will try it in order to confirm.....
Very curious about your results, especially if you can separate the two. I wonder how the forum breaks down in terms of which camp they would fall into.

Very curious about your results, especially if you can separate the two. I wonder how the forum breaks down in terms of which camp they would fall into.

Just tried it.

Yup, I can completely tilt my pelvis through full APT to PPT without activating my shoulders or upper body or flexing my rectus while dead hanging.

I'm going to give some credit to Pilates for that.

Just tried it.

Yup, I can completely tilt my pelvis through full APT to PPT without activating my shoulders or upper body or flexing my rectus while dead hanging.

I'm going to give some credit to Pilates for that.
I hope other people chime in. I wonder if this is normal or abnormal. Whenever I discover something about my body it usually turns out to be something that needs fixing.

I hope other people chime in. I wonder if this is normal or abnormal. Whenever I discover something about my body it usually turns out to be something that needs fixing.

I've never looked into it specifically, but from the various essays I've read on the biomechanics of squatting and pulling / hingeing, poor pelvic control is very common in the general populace.

Men, in particular, seem to have more of an issue with it.

@Anna C had some anecdote from Mark Rippetoe that most women seem to know how to do it, but men are puzzled and have to be cued with hints like telling them to point their junk at the floor.

Good observation.

I can do it, but I credit a lot of hollow work from SFB and related training. I recall that it was taught and some people found it challenging.

@Anna C had some anecdote from Mark Rippetoe that most women seem to know how to do it, but men are puzzled and have to be cued with hints like telling them to point their junk at the floor.
Yep, you remember right.

I suppose a similar cue could be used in the opposite direction to move towards hollow position. But Karen Smith uses a nicer version, "point your belly button towards your face."

I can do it, but I credit a lot of hollow work from SFB and related training. I recall that it was taught and some people found it challenging.

Now that you mention hollow work, I don't recall if I learned it first form Pilates or body-line drills (hollow hold, hollow rock, arch hold, etc) for bodyweight / gymnastic ring work.

Either way, it's about that pelvic floor / TVA -- once I got reasonably good at it, my lifts (both barbell and rings) went up.

Is this topic related to the toes to the bar trick ? - ie If I am in a completel deadhang I cannot lift my toes to the bar, but if I go into a slight active hang then I am able to lift toes to the bar.

Is this topic related to the toes to the bar trick ? - ie If I am in a completel deadhang I cannot lift my toes to the bar, but if I go into a slight active hang then I am able to lift toes to the bar.

Maybe only indirectly?

Aside from the upper body, toes to bar main muscles worked are your hip flexors and rectus.

It's a hip flexing exercise.

Think this is totally a nervous system training thing. Like the Vulcan salute - doesn't happen naturally, but you can train the body to do it.

I did at one point notice a similar effect working on the hanging leg raise - early on I needed some elbow flexion in order to bring the legs up, but as I got stronger I found I didn't need that anymore.

Hmm... I think we may have found a market for a "dead hang pelvic thrust enhancer" supplement...

We're too late:

pf-spec-banner_1200x.jpg

I have no idea how this thing works, but the demo is here.

Post-partum rehab seems to be the main use.

First of all I find it funny that I tried it :) don’t tell this to anybody out of this community cause they will think that we are all mad.

I can do it. I mean there is nothing stops me raising my legs. No disconnection etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom