all posts post new thread

I May Again Know Chris

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
Background: 35/m, 186 lbs (about 85kg) skinny fat body type. I used to run about 165 when I was very active and looked relatively lean (minus the love handles which never seemed to disappear completely) but not terribly muscular. Always been a skinny fat guy. Been lurking for a while and I’ve probably read every post on the kettlebell section of the forum 3 times.

Always did some half-hearted version of a workout plan from about 16-25. Mostly body weight stuff but did put my time in doing bench/squat/deadlift type work though I never got terribly strong (form, consistency). I could max at 225 on the bench, deadlift was around 280 I think. Squat was always low.
Started CrossFit at 25 for about a solid year. Got leaner and stronger but also had lots of lower back and neck strains/pains/etc due to poor form, racing the clock, etc...

LONG STORY SHORT: Was an IV drug user after age 25(heroin, crack, methamphetamine). All training and physical activity stopped.

Got clean in the end of 2018 and ballooned from 175 to about 215 at my heaviest. Due to my weird skinny fat body type I still fit into my size 34 pants and medium shirts. I mostly gain the weight in my love handles and hips and butt and just look sloppier than I look “fat”.

I had a 16kg and 24kg bell I had bought and in the beginning of June decided to start S&S after re-listening to the Rogan Podcast with Pavel. I wanted a program that was SIMPLE and that I could stick to that didn’t big me down with variables and long workouts. I’m the type of person who immediately says “yeah but what about XYZ” when it comes to anything. That’s why S&S seems like a perfect place to start. My goal right now is to do that program AS WRITTEN and not do any accessory or supplemental stuff (maybe minimal GTG pull-ups) because I want to keep it simple, consistent and actually see what results the program yields for me.

Had a beautiful baby girl in April and for my wife’s sake I wanted a program that wouldn’t take more than 45min/1hr away from the family AND that I could at home.

Started S&S around June 15 (as written) and want to start posting my training logs on here. Using the 16kg for the swings and GU’s. One handed swings are not terribly hard but I’m doing mostly 2HS to get that hip hinge dialed in better. I CAN swing the 24kg but my form doesn’t feel solid enough for me to do any more than one or two sets 2/3 times a week of swings with it before switching back to the 16kg. Get ups are a little challenging with the 16 but totally doable. Will stick with this weights for a while I think thought I feel like I’ve always gotten my strength back pretty quickly.

DIET INFO: Strict Keto. Most days I do intermittent fasting (stop eating around 6-7pm and done eat again until 1pm the next day). I do have black coffee in the morning though.
I don’t really count calories or macros (aside from watching carbs) as most days all I eat is steak and eggs with cheese. Sometimes a salad if my wife makes me :)

So happy to be apart of the community!

Taking a day off today so I’ll post yesterday’s practice:

Warmup 16kg/sets 16kg
1HS x6
2HS x4
TGU x5
TGU’s are getting better. 16 isn’t too heavy but the 24 is a little might right now. Gonna just keep grinding with the 16 and focus on form then maybe slow down reps or pause if they get too easy.

I can genuinely say I‘ve looked forward to every session so far. I’m in the mindset of strength being a marathon not a sprint this time around.

Sidenote: Pants are down to a 32 from a 34 and carrying my daughter around a lot doesn’t aggravate my back at all now. My upper and lower back have always been weak. Slowly but surely getting there!

S+S 16kg

Form felt good. Kept glutes tight and hips were driving.
TGU SEEM to make my neck tight on the left side behind my ear. Nothing bad but I definitely notice something. Might be from sleeping wonky. Not sure.
Side note: only a few weeks in but I feel like my arms are starting to look better. Collateral damage :)

I wonder how long I should stay at the 16 before using the 24? I still feel like I’m getting the benefit from the 16 but the annoying voice in my head says to use the 24. I need to listen to the advice from basically EVERYONE on the forum and just own the 16 first. No need to rush. Always room to improve w form/intensity.

TGU SEEM to make my neck tight on the left side behind my ear. Nothing bad but I definitely notice something. Might be from sleeping wonky.

I'm convinced that in most cases, the TGU doesn't cause injuries, it exposes them - tells you where to look. Personally, I think most of the neck issues I've ever had have been rooted in poor upper spine / shoulder mobility, so I put a lot of mobility focus there. Seems to help me, at least.

I wonder how long I should stay at the 16 before using the 24? I still feel like I’m getting the benefit from the 16 but the annoying voice in my head says to use the 24. I need to listen to the advice from basically EVERYONE on the forum and just own the 16 first. No need to rush. Always room to improve w form/intensity.

I'm personally not a big fan of the idea of "owning" a weight. Obviously, it's never a good idea to sacrifice form for more weight - that's really the threshold, what can you do without breaking form. But if you walk up to the bells on a particular day, you're feeling strong and the 24 is looking light, why not swing that sucker a few times? Even if it's just that one day, and you don't even look at it again for another week. Heavier weight is instructive.

As you say, no need to rush. I just think, no need to construct artificial hoops to jump through either. Just my opinion.

I'm convinced that in most cases, the TGU doesn't cause injuries, it exposes them - tells you where to look. Personally, I think most of the neck issues I've ever had have been rooted in poor upper spine / shoulder mobility, so I put a lot of mobility focus there. Seems to help me, at least.

I'm personally not a big fan of the idea of "owning" a weight. Obviously, it's never a good idea to sacrifice form for more weight - that's really the threshold, what can you do without breaking form. But if you walk up to the bells on a particular day, you're feeling strong and the 24 is looking light, why not swing that sucker a few times? Even if it's just that one day, and you don't even look at it again for another week. Heavier weight is instructive.

As you say, no need to rush. I just think, no need to construct artificial hoops to jump through either. Just my opinion.
What do you do for mobility?

7.1.20. S+S with the 24kg today!
Really strange. Swing felt better. Hips felt more explosive and my get ups, while definitely heavier, felt better. Maybe the 16 was too light? I didn’t feel particularly ready to rock n roll before I started today. Feels good though!

Wanted to tack on that I’m still feeling great after the 24kg today. I can’t believe how the longer rests between sets actually gives me more energy!

7.5.20. Day off yesterday. Went fishing.
S and S today w the 24. Felt the effects of rushing through it since I did it while my wife was asleep and felt like the baby was gonna wake up soon. Definitely a different animal when you don’t rest a lot between sets. Still got it in though!

pushing the pace once in a while is not a bad thing. the 80/20 principle is a good one to keep in mind - ie 80pct of training should be clocking in the practice, for the 20pct pushing the pace or adding a SEMF (Single Exercise Mind F^&*) like 100 burpees in a row/a 6k quick march with a ruck sack/etc is good to train the mind.

S and S 24kg. Felt unusually strong today.Trwining went quicker than I wanted cause my mother in law was over and I didn’t wanna take too long. That being said, I didn’t really rush it. Just pushed a little more.
Crazy to think a month ago I couldn’t get through one getup with the 24. Progress.

7.7.20. Did not feel like hitting it today. Still did it though. Did 2HS with the 24 instead of 1HS. Felt good. Get ups are getting smoother. All around good.
Noticing my desk job is really a pain in my upper back though. I lean forward all day working on computers. I’m sure I could google remedies for this...

7.9.20. S and S. 16kg on the swings and 24 on the TGU.
Was feeling a little sore today. Not sure if I’m pushing it using the 24 every day. I can still work on explosiveness and form w the 16 and get in a good training. Worried I’m not getting enough sleep a little too. Newborn baby means I sleep about 5-7 hours.

Not sure if I’m pushing it using the 24 every day.

If you're not sure, then you are.

There's two sides to the "go by feel" coin. When you feel good, grab the heavier bell. But, do not feel any shame in grabbing the lighter bell when the mood strikes you.

Newborn baby means I sleep about 5-7 hours.

I'm impressed you're getting that much!

Moved furniture yesterday so I didn’t get it in

Today I did S and S with the 16kg and time tested myself. Got It in under the 16 min. Felt good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom