all posts post new thread

Nutrition I need some help with Warrior Diet

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SimplicityIsKing

Level 4 Valued Member
So I've been on the Warrior Diet off and on for about 3 years but I have a problem. If I have to eat lunch with my family or at a social event, afterwards I just binge on food. Tons of junk food, sugar, pizza and I'll even go out and eat alone in my car because I feel guilty. How can I control myself? I feel like the whole day is ruined because I ate in the middle of the day and why not have a binge session? I feel like I ruined the whole fasting period by having a meal with my family. Thank you to all.

I'm an recovering alcoholic & drug addict. I often relapsed by some small event giving me the excuse to go "stuff it I indulged a little, might as well indulge a lot". Man up & stop making excuses! Lunch with family or social events don't ruin the whole day, binging ruins the whole day. Family lunches & events are a part of life, being to strict on yourself is setting yourself up for binges. It's what you do 90% of the time that counts not your occasional digression, don't make it worse by binging. Man up (or women up) get some self control & realise that you're looking for a reason to binge & stop it. Don't look for answers here, you know what you're doing is wrong. If the diet is to strict for you then find one more flexible. Sorry to be harsh, but when I was in your position the best thing someone done for me was a solid kick in the a#@.

@SimplicityIsKing, in dieting, a binge isn't the end of the world, and some diets encourage a weekly binge. I look at eating as cyclical, and if you're doing the WD "correctly" most of the time, a binge might even cause you to lose weight - this is mentioned in the WD and it's happened to me more than once.

The above said, one can binge on good food, one can "binge" by having a reasonable quantity of not-good food, or one can do both. All of these choices can be OK, but at the end of the day, it's about establishing a healthy relationship with your hunger and nutritional needs and knowing the difference between "want" and "need" when it comes to food.

I'll give some recent examples from my own life in the hope that it's helpful.

My sister, who I speak to on the telephone every day, lives in another country and we see each other in person only a couple of times a year. She was just here for a 10-day visit, and during that time, even though I follow the WD, I went out to breakfast or lunch with her three times. I had a great time doing so, and wasn't feeling the need for unhealthy food, so I had a nice omelette each time, with buttered, multi-grain toast. This was a big treat for me, three times, and a great way to catch up with her.

While she was here a couple of nights ago, we had a family reunion of sorts, getting together with a few of our cousins, and I ate a ton, including pie and ice cream for dessert. And again, it didn't kill me.

This morning, she's gone home and I weigh about 1 kg more than usual, but that will be gone in a few days, and today I'll be back to my usual WD. For me, that's a small portion of kefir and nuts in the AM, a vegan protein bar midday, and a sensible dinner, plus my usual coffee and a few vitamins.

The Warrior Diet is about embracing variety in your eating schedule as much as it's about the recommended schedule, and I think that point is sometimes overlooked. I live near NYC, where it's cold in the winter and hot in the summer, and every year I eat arguably 'worse' in the winter and put on a few pounds, and every summer, I lose those pounds and eat a lot more vegetables and walk more in the summer. I also eat more on the weekends and less during the week.

Don't let yourself become regimented by the WD's recommendations, and don't give up the fun of occasional social overeating. If you are the type of person who can't stray off the path and then return to it, then that's something to be aware of and perhaps you have to stick to the straight and narrow, but for most people, it's really OK to "go with the flow" once in a while. Years of WD and health eating for me have meant I've lost much of my taste for sweets, pizza, and the like but I still have them once in a while.

Most of us here are fortunate to live in the land of plenty, where food is plentiful, the choices are many, and not having enough to eat to sustain a healthy body is a worry we've never experienced. That's a blessing, not to be taken for granted, and that we are so fortunate can serve as a reminder that we should eat what we need, and be mindful of the purpose of eating - the sustain our bodies and make them as healthy as possible.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

-S-

For me the psychological notion of the 'good day' and the 'bad day' was tied up with the question as to whether I really desired 'one' or 'many'. I used to diet strictly and most days were 'good' but if I ate something outside my dietary restrictions I would immediately label that day 'bad' and eat crap like a pig - never had just 'one' on a 'bad' day but always 'many'. Why? Because a bad day was a write off (there were no half-good days) and so it no longer mattered to me. Plus I really didn't want, for example, just one ice-cream (although having 'just one' was usually how it started) but four or five. For me the start of getting on top of this was recognising that I didn't want just one - one wasn't going to be enough. It wouldn't satisfy me. And so unless I was happy eating many (say the whole box) it wasn't worth having one. I still binge from time to time but much less because I recognise what I'm getting myself into. This worked for me but we're all different!!!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom