all posts post new thread

Nutrition I started IF

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rayhzel

Level 3 Valued Member
So this week I started with IF.
I never thought it was for me, but learning about the hormonal benefits made me do it.

It goes pretty easy for me. I think I still have to tweak it a bit, but I have no problems sitting out eating for a while. So far I eat for the last time at 9pm and don't eat anything till about 12pm. It makes for a 15 hour fast, but these times work best for me.

Sometimes I feel it's a little hard to get all my calories within the time frame though.
Also most IF protocols suggest training during your fast, but training in the morning is a no go for me. I typically train around 7pm. It is just what is though.

Just a few days in, so I can't say anything yet about results. But at the very least it feels good.

Sometimes I feel it's a little hard to get all my calories within the time frame though.

Personally I can manage that train of thought a bit better if I think about weekly calories. If I'm focused on daily calories then then I start to fall into the mindset where I need to be filling that need every 24 hour period.

If I think of it in terms of a week (sometimes a spreadsheet or journal can help when starting out) and find the sum of my calories for the week, it becomes a lot less of a challenge. When I approach it that way I don't have the mindset of needing a daily calorific intake and it almost becomes irrelevant.

You just have to be aware of the natural tendency to binge the next day and undo the benefits of the fast.

I started with IF 2 years ago with the Eat,Stop, Eat method. 2 full 24 hour fasts per week. (I started with just 1 day)
I think getting use to it slowly is a good idea.

Now I have my own thing going which is a Hybrid of ESE and Geoff Neuperts 24 hour diet. Basically I fast M-F on a 20/4 (sometimes 19/5) so I only really eat in the evening. Weekends I eat all day but I can't really eat that much early in the day.

Working great for me.

Timely post, I am starting with ESE this weekend. I will be doing two 24 hour fasts. I think fasting on my off days might help recovery. Not really fasting to lose weight. The hormone benefits intrigue me as well.

Hope I can manage to add a little lean mass as well.

I like ESE. I feel like out of the Fasting Diets out there, ESE has been the most effective. I'm also a fan of Brad Pilon's refreshing view of nutrition that speaks to a lot of my skepticisms of "eat as much protein as possible" advice that you sometimes hear in the gym circles.

I can only do ESE as a seasonal thing, because eventually I get mentally worn out. Fasting might work for me in a fast-paced, moving environment. But in a slow office, the thought "I'm fasting" replays in my head for hours. Meals for me break up the day and monotony (and if you're a good cook, they're enjoyable).

I love ESE but the psychological side is what ultimately makes me drop it.

When I'm focused on how much calories I obtain in a day then I started with IF 2 months ago with the Eat, Stop and Eat method.
For that Monday to Friday I really eat in the evening. Weekends I eat all day but I can't really eat that much I eat before I start IF, in a day.
I also think getting use to it slowly is a good idea. Mainly it helps me a lot.

While the Neupert 24 hour diet was okay I decided to go back to a more fasting approach. Now my Wake to dinner is just BCAA before workout,lots of water and black coffee. Had crazy energy yesterday.

So I decided to start a 18/6 IF diet, I have started this today. I last ate last night at 6 p.m. I am going to wait to have a full meal at 2 p.m. being that it is Friday and will more than likely stay up a bit later than I normally do so today will be 20 hours until I have a full meal. I had a small snack of a tin of sardines at 10 a.m. this morning. I was wondering how many of you do the actual fast and how many of you under eat like I decided to do today. Since this is really my first attempt at this I I am trying to compare between the two different ways ( or 3,4,5...). Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I prefer Ori's terminology in the Warrior Diet - you don't fast, you undereat followed by overeating. Typical for me is something like 2-3 tablespoons of kefir mixed with the same amount of homemade nut butter - that's breakfast. During the day, a protein bar and a carrot. And then dinner.

-S-

Right and that is similar to Geoff Neupert's 24 hour diet. I seem to do better on a more Fasted state of just coffee/water during the day.

Returned to a 16/8 IF protocol two weeks ago and it's very effective. I've never really enjoyed breakfast and cup of coffee with a drop of coconut oil is more than sufficient. I'mean lifting 2 a week with barbell 1 LSS and 2 HITT sessions. easy to follow and works well with the daily grind....

Hello,

@conor78
Do you do IF because you want lose weight ?

I also did IF + HIIT. It is super effective, though it can be challenging on the long term.

Kind regards,

Pet'

IF has been great for me. I really noticed it this past few days when I felt obligated to eat, well, pretty much non stop. I don't feel well. Lol. Back in the saddle again tomorrow.

To be honest pet, I had been using my fitness pal and got fed up with it. I've been doing a bit of early morn LSS fasted and thought why not just go back to 16/8 IF to get ready for Xmas. It's working great and my strength hasn't suffered as yet.. here's hoping

Hello,

@conor78
For me, it has been challenging in terms of months. So I think you still have time before feeling "weak" or "exhausted" (physically or psychologically).

It is pretty smart to do IF before Xmas ! Besides, with experience, I would say that the 16/8 frame is the most sustainable (comfortable, efficient, good fatigue management, good performance management too).

For sure, IF with some cardio (HIIT or MAF) will give you incredible results.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom