all posts post new thread

Nutrition I started IF

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have started IF 16/8 protocol few days ago. I feel great. My eating habbits are changing, although, not every of my meals are as they should be.

I agree with you that every change in diet requires time, but to do that, we need to start from some point. I'm working on implementing more vegetables into my meals, for instance.

Hello,

Yes you are right. When I implemented this diet, I remember I was always hungry at the beginning ! However, after a while, there were lots of good effects : more energy, no more fatigue due to digestion after lunch, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been doing kind of a hybrid for a bit now (since July). Basically, I do 16/8 Tuesday through Thursday, 20/4 on Monday and Friday, then I eat whenever on the weekends. When I *do* eat, I'm almost entirely following a ketogenic food plan (lots of fat, moderate protein, few non-fibrous carbs). I feel fantastic. The only times I break this are on training days, when I have a protein shake after my training session.

I started IF last week. First day was by accident - I hadn't eaten breakfast, and my car was in the shop and I forgot to bring a lunch (and I'm too cheap to call in a delivery). I had been reading up some on IF and decided to go for it. After that I stopped eating before noon every day.

This is day 7 without breakfast (nothing before noon), and I feel fine. I did two 24-hour fasts (not consecutive) last week with no problem. I have Warrior Diet on the way to read, as I understand it is the foundational text on intermittent fasting. I have done some reading on LeanGains, and the Eat Stop Eat method seems straightforward as well. Tinkering with the right pattern for me. I train in the evenings after the kids go to bed (7 pm), so fasting during daylight until 8 p.m. is quite a stretch. For that reason I'm drawn to a 6-8 hour window that begins at either 2 or 4 pm, especially on training days (3-4 days a week), breaking the fast with something light like a salad or nuts & fruit.

If nothing else it is breaking my snacking addiction. My work-week pattern was breakfast sometimes (bagel, or fast food bacon & egg biscuit with hash browns), mid-morning snack (chips or some starchy carb or sugar), fast food lunch, another snack in the afternoon (also starch/sugar), dinner at 5:30, then more snacking later (often candy). No wonder I gained 40 pounds over 8 years since college.

I'll chronicle my IF journey in my training log along with my S&S progression.

That is great. I think you will enjoy it. I love it as it is pretty hassle free and quite effective. It made me FREE from cravings and gave me FREEDOM in my eating all while shedding BF and losing about 30 lbs.

Hello,

IF and S&S are quite a good mix. If you can reduce carbs while eating the same amount of fat and protreines, I think you will appreciate the results.

Basically, you are supposed to eat meat and fished and plenty of vegetables (this will give you carbs among other things). Then excepted for the cheat meal you mat eat, cut off rice, potatoes and so on, as well as soda and "junk good".

Kind regards,

Pet'

I suggest to experiment with various IF systems.

I was doing Lean Gains for a few weeks, but my main goal (fat loss) was going painfully slow. So I changed to Warrior's Diet, but eating a little during the day make me crave for food more. So I drop the "undereating" and go "water & espresso" during the day, but this is not Warrior's Diet anymore (more like Fast-5).

On Fridays I have a dinner at work with my colleagues at 13:00, so for social reasons I participate on those. I also enjoy eating with family earlier on weekends, so my schedule looks like that:

Mon-Thu - one big meal in the evening
Fri-Sun - LeanGains 16/8.

I also try to do heavier workouts on Friday and Sunday mornings to take advantage of longer eating periods.
It works very well for me.

Last edited:
I suggest to experiment with various IF systems.

I was doing Lean Gains for a few weeks, but my main goal (fat loss) was going painfully slow. So I change to Warrior's Diet, but eating a little during the day make me crave for food more. So I drop the "undereating" and go "water & espresso" during the day, but this is not Warrior's Diet anymore (more like Fast-5).

On Fridays I have a dinner at work with my colleagues at 13:00, so for social reasons I participate on those. I also enjoy eating with family earlier on weekends, so my schedule looks like that:

Mon-Thu - one big meal in the evening
Fri-Sun - LeanGains 16/8.

I also try to do heavier workouts on Friday and Sunday mornings to take advantage of longer eating periods.
It works very well for me.
I think this is where I will land. Warrior Diet through the workweek, 16/8 on weekends (may or may not include Friday). Basically skipping breakfast every day and lunch 5 days a week.

I say "skip" but I really mean fast through and save the eating for the compressed window in the evening.

Last edited:
I have started IF as of yesterday. Strangely, I wan't real hungry all morning. I did have a protein shake upon waking, to take my medications. They have to be taken with food, but my PCM said that a protein shake would work for me. This will be an interesting time.

Good luck to you @Rayhzel & everyone else starting IF.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom