all posts post new thread

Bodyweight I want to make a new training program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sebape

Level 4 Valued Member
Edit title: skeptical about training program

Hi,

First of, i'd like to apologize for creating thread after thread. I feel like i have no clue what i'm doing but that might just be because of my anxiety and lack of self confidence.

I'd love to have 5-6day/week calisthenics training program that could work for a longer period of time and increase both my reps and strength.
The problem is that when i create a plan all by myself i start to worry after a while that i'm doing it all wrong.

I haven't made any workouts myself. they are made by ThenX and i do like the workouts. what i don't like is the lack of frequenzy of a specific workout, like training a muscle group only once a week.

This is the ThenX intermediate program i'v been doing.

Day 1: Back/Bicep (started GTG pullups today so i don't do Back/bicep anymore during this time)
Day 2: chest/Tricep
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders
Day 5: Abs (i have changed this day to skill training, pull ups, dips and pushups and done a 6 minute ab workout every other day instead.)
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest
Here's an example how all ThenX intermediate programs are built:

My goal in calisthenics for the moment is to learn basic skills like muscle up, front/back lever, become more explosive and gain a little bit more muscle mass (muscle mass is definetely not main goal). then progress to harder skills like ones like planche and strict muscle up in a few years if i feel like it. so far i can do 14 strict pull ups, 20+ dips and 50ish pushups my only skills are handstand and L-sit

Do you think this program is good and i should keep at it or do you think i should train a muscle group more often than once/week?

Hopefully i gave enough info and you understand what i'm asking. I'v been writing this thread for almost 2 hours trying to get my thoughts out.

Last edited:
First of, i'd like to apologize for creating thread after thread. I feel like i have no clue what i'm doing but that might just be because of my anxiety and lack of self confidence.

No need to apologise, new blood always stirs some interest and stimulates discussion which is always a good thing in my view.

Welcome to the forum too.

I've never personally tried any of Chris Heria's programs myself but the guy is obviously doing a lot of things right, the guy is a bit a freak when it comes to bodyweight stuff.

If you are getting results on his program then I'd suggest you stick to it until your results start to taper off and then start trying to adapt it when you hit a plateau.

Calisthenics involves more body awareness than some other forms of training, so after a while you'll start to identify your own areas that need more or less work.

I could probably suggest a few changes but if the program is working then I'd say pursue it until you have a specific goal that needs more focus & dedicated work. If you think you are lagging in a certain area then you could add a bit more work on the days you aren't normally training that area but don't push it too on the extra days, just think of it as practice and keep it a bit lighter ie less reps and sets than your actual training days.

Stay fresh & stay strong, avoid burnout at all costs.

Last edited:
Hello,

@sebape
+1 @Pavel Macek

Lot of people report excellent results with Al Kavadlo's programs for instance. There are plenty of progression towards your goal.

Regarding the MU, beyond strength, it requires specific skill, especially for the transition. Do you want to train (at least at the beginning) for ring MU or bar MU ?

FL is pretty specific as well and require a specific training. You can find plenty of progressions / regressions. I mainly used this one:

BL is easier (IMO):

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello,

@sebape
+1 @Pavel Macek

Lot of people report excellent results with Al Kavadlo's programs for instance. There are plenty of progression towards your goal.

Regarding the MU, beyond strength, it requires specific skill, especially for the transition. Do you want to train (at least at the beginning) for ring MU or bar MU ?

FL is pretty specific as well and require a specific training. You can find plenty of progressions / regressions. I mainly used this one:

BL is easier (IMO):

Kind regards,

Pet'

i signed up for Al Kavadlo's program but i think the program you mean is his app, i have to download that later.
I think the bar muscle up is easier right? so naturally i'd like to learn that first. i have already researched everything there is to know about it. and i'm going to start practice it soon.
i'm really close to doing BL. i can steadily decend to horizontal position but not hold it. i have never really trained any lever either until a week ago.

Hello,

@sebape
No especially the app. You can find excellent stuff in
- Pushing the limits
- Raising the bar
- Street workout
Calisthenics Books, DVDs and Apps | Al Kavadlo

As a side note, I'd add that, even if this is not your N°1 goal, pistol squat and OAP / OAOL PU are excellent bodyweight moves, which transfer very well to almost everything. They build full tension and teach you how to make your body work on a single unit. It gives plenty of core, leg strength, arm strength. Combined in circuit, you can even get plenty of conditioning from them.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello,

@sebape
No especially the app. You can find excellent stuff in
- Pushing the limits
- Raising the bar
- Street workout
Calisthenics Books, DVDs and Apps | Al Kavadlo

As a side note, I'd add that, even if this is not your N°1 goal, pistol squat and OAP / OAOL PU are excellent bodyweight moves, which transfer very well to almost everything. They build full tension and teach you how to make your body work on a single unit. It gives plenty of core, leg strength, arm strength. Combined in circuit, you can even get plenty of conditioning from them.

Kind regards,

Pet'
i do train Pistol twice/week. 4x8 both legs on leg day and 4x8 on fridays or rest days. what are OAP/OAOL PU? can't find the meaning on google

Hello,

They stand for One Arm Push Up and One Arm One Leg Push Up

Kind regards,

Pet'

you can work your way to a one arm pushup (OAP) on an elevated surface to make them easier. I'm a good 8 inches from a OAP on the floor.

@sebape:
if you continue with basic strength training, you might be able to do some of the skill moves without specifically learning them.
sometimes these things happen. i, for example, was able to do a front lever after doing lots of rope climbs and one arm push ups with no FL training whatsoever.
good luck with your training!

@sebape

Stage 1: Start with Pavel's The Naked Warrior and Hardstyle Abs. Learn the principles of bodyweight strength training, get stronger at the fundamentals. Make sure to read all @Karen Smith 's articles here on the StrongFirst blog.
Stage 2: Take part at the SFB Bodyweight Course.
Stage 3: ...and then you are ready basically for anything.

you can work your way to a one arm pushup (OAP) on an elevated surface to make them easier. I'm a good 8 inches from a OAP on the floor.
oh right! i'm definetely going to implement elevated OAP to my routines. Hope the app by Al Kavadlo has what i'm looking for. I could buy his book "Get Strong" but i'm terrible at reading (especially in english).

@sebape

Stage 1: Start with Pavel's The Naked Warrior and Hardstyle Abs. Learn the principles of bodyweight strength training, get stronger at the fundamentals. Make sure to read all @Karen Smith 's articles here on the StrongFirst blog.
Stage 2: Take part at the SFB Bodyweight Course.
Stage 3: ...and then you are ready basically for anything.
I will take a look at her articles. SFB course would be amazing to be part of, if it's ever in Finland :). I'v wanted for a very long time to be part of a calisthenics/body weight "gym" or "camp". but it's almost non existent in Finland, especially when your from a very small town.

@sebape Read. Watch videos. Travel. So many options. If SFB Course does not come to Finland, come to SFB Course.

My goal in calisthenics for the moment is to learn basic skills like muscle up, front/back lever, become more explosive and gain a little bit more muscle mass (muscle mass is definetely not main goal). then progress to harder skills like ones like planche and strict muscle up in a few years if i feel like it. so far i can do 14 strict pull ups, 20+ dips and 50ish pushups my only skills are handstand and L-sit

I hear you. These are pretty common beginner Calisthenics goals (I certainly had them). As good as The Naked Warrior really is, since it doesn't really cover these goals, I'm not sure it's a good fit. As good as a program can be, I personally don't think it's a good choice if it doesn't meet your goals. I think the SFB would be a much better fit, but until then, you need a program.

I actually like ThenX. Chris knows his stuff and his programs are sensible. I've trained with him here in Florida, he's pretty experienced.

Personally, I think you really should not overthink this. Read about other programs but don't program hop. You need to stick to something for a few weeks before it works. It doesn't have to be complex right now so for the sake of your results, stick to Herria's program for a bit longer and re-assess in the future. Worst thing you can do right now is to just leave that and re-start an entirely different program.

That said:
Do you think this program is good and i should keep at it or do you think i should train a muscle group more often than once/week?
You can probably bump up the frequency a bit. Chris makes the very intelligent choice of giving enough rest to Beginners. That fits well in people's schedules and is an easier barrier of entry. But if you feel like you can add a day (say a push+pull day on Day 6), go ahead.

^That is called Tinkering and in my opinion, is fine. To slowly change the program, cutting/adding frequency/exercises/sets, etc slowly as you get stronger is fine.

I could probably suggest a few changes but if the program is working then I'd say pursue it until you have a specific goal that needs more focus & dedicated work. If you think you are lagging in a certain area then you could add a bit more work on the days you aren't normally training that area but don't push it too on the extra days, just think of it as practice and keep it a bit lighter ie less reps and sets than your actual training days.

So much truth on this post ^. Glad to see you back @Tarzan ^_^

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom