all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Ideas for S&S Timed Tests when using Sandbag Getups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

barrak

Level 6 Valued Member
So I started recently mixing 32K/40K kettlebell swings and 70lb/90lb sandbag getups in my S&S sessions.

Today I did my first timed test with 24K 1H swings and 70lb sandbag getups. I managed 6 min (100 swings) + 1 min (rest) + 5 min (10 getups).

Sandbag getups are too efficient, it seems... I start them from the top after a clean to shoulder and pause at the bottom to avoid momentum/leg kicks.

I was wondering if I should stick to this format or, perhaps, change the getups target to max reps in 10 minutes. Maybe even ladders: 1 clean+1 getup, rest, 1 clean + 2 getups, ...etc.

Would appreciate shared experiences and suggestions.

I would forget about time.Start at the bottom,get up and walk with the sand bag a given distance--go back to the ground--thats one side;repeat for as many reps you can get with good form.You can supplement with KB 1/2 get ups to your elbow or hand.

I was wondering if I should stick to this format or, perhaps, change the getups target to max reps in 10 minutes. Maybe even ladders: 1 clean+1 getup, rest, 1 clean + 2 getups, ...etc.

I personally find that I need to increase my sandbag getups by at least 8kg to match the effort and grinding heaviness of a KB getup. My last go-round of S&S was at timeless solid and when I subbed in sandbags I used 48 kg to give me roughly the same feeling as a 40kg getup. Maybe try that?

Hello,

@barrak
If you want to stick with your current sandbag weight, maybe you can try to do the GU with less rest.

Otherwise, I noticed a big jump going from 32 to 40 with a regular kb. So, I guess that you may try to add -at least- 8kg to your sandbag. I would even add more because leverage is a little bit easier with the sb (no straight arm). Doing so, I'd not bother with the time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

In my opinion sandbag getups are a work capacity exercise and not a strength exercise like the kettlebell TGU.
Work to increase your reps using either 5 or 10 minutes. I found about 20 reps to be a comfortable pace for 5 minutes. Increase slowly and push the pace every so often.
Probably not a popular opinion on this forum, but I much prefer sandbag getups to TGU. Less worry about a heavy piece of iron hitting your head and to me it seems to transfer better to everyday life.

I would forget about time.Start at the bottom,get up and walk with the sand bag a given distance--go back to the ground--thats one side;repeat for as many reps you can get with good form.You can supplement with KB 1/2 get ups to your elbow or hand.

This would seem to defeat the purpose of the prescribed weekly timed sessions.

I think I'll incorporate your suggestion though during the other regular sessions... I've been looking for ideas for convenient (to my schedule) loaded carries and this would fit perfectly.

I personally find that I need to increase my sandbag getups by at least 8kg to match the effort and grinding heaviness of a KB getup. My last go-round of S&S was at timeless solid and when I subbed in sandbags I used 48 kg to give me roughly the same feeling as a 40kg getup. Maybe try that?
Hello,

@barrak
If you want to stick with your current sandbag weight, maybe you can try to do the GU with less rest.

Otherwise, I noticed a big jump going from 32 to 40 with a regular kb. So, I guess that you may try to add -at least- 8kg to your sandbag. I would even add more because leverage is a little bit easier with the sb (no straight arm). Doing so, I'd not bother with the time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Totally agree with you both. In fact, when I was using kettlebell getups, mine were one size behind the swings. I cashed in the +8K sandbag advantage when I switched and now both lifts are in lockstep.

In my opinion sandbag getups are a work capacity exercise and not a strength exercise like the kettlebell TGU.
Work to increase your reps using either 5 or 10 minutes. I found about 20 reps to be a comfortable pace for 5 minutes. Increase slowly and push the pace every so often.
Probably not a popular opinion on this forum, but I much prefer sandbag getups to TGU. Less worry about a heavy piece of iron hitting your head and to me it seems to transfer better to everyday life.

The weekly S&S timed sessions are meant to test work capacity, I think.

I am leaning towards this approach. Maybe work up to 5 getups per side before dropping the bag and recleaning to the other shoulder.

I do find heavy sandbag cleans themselves just as challenging and valuable as double kettlebell cleans without the awkward wide stance.

+1

Sandbag Getups are very different. I don't think they're great for max strength, but they're awesome for volume. If you make the movement a little less strict you can get a pretty high volume pretty quickly (for me, 50 in ten minutes with a ~70lb sandbag is a moderate effort). Definitely my favorite "core" exercise.

I generally do a certain number on each side. Rest for the rest of the minute, then repeat on the other side.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom