all posts post new thread

Kettlebell If I Only Do S&S, Will I Lose Fitness?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

If I only do S&S instead of what I've been doing until now, will I lose fitness?
I'd say it depends of what you were doing.

If your sport was higly specific, maybe you will lose a little, but not that much. Indeed, IMO, it is impossible to be better in sport, while doing another sport, even if there is a carryover.

I guess S&S will always maintain a very decent athletic base.

S&S is "GPP oriented" so it gives a very strong average base, with no "peak" for a specific sport.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi Steve,

I guess you are trying to get the Q&A section going!
As to your question, the answer depends of course on fitness for what?

If we define fitness as the ability to do a given task more or less succesfully, then of course the task needs to be specified. I like Pet's reply:
S&S is "GPP oriented" so it gives a very strong average base, with no "peak" for a specific sport.

Brgds,
Claude

I think we address a lot of this here:

Active duty Marine has questions re: Simple & Sinister

I also think what you've said above is something that's addressed in the book; the reason I posted it as an FAQ-type question is that, someone, it still comes up regularly. People don't always grasp the idea of General Physical Preparedness. Another relevant point here is that not all GPP programs are created equal - after all, you are doing different things in each, and the choice of movement and program can arguably be said to influence how much carryover you get to other things. Then again, carryover should be beside the point if we're talking about GPP.

It's a tricky thing to explain, not to explain well, but to explain in a way that even people with little or no background in exercise will understand.

-S-

@ClaudeR, yes - that's the purpose here, to collect things we've found that, for whatever reason, keep coming up as questions.

-S-

I've been working on simple and sinister for over 2 years now. In my experience S&S will give most people every bit of strength, conditioning, and mobility they will ever need, while keeping energy levels high day in and day out, so that you can perform well in every portion of your life. If you are interested in reaching the highest levels of your physical capabilities you will need to Follow other programs.

Here's my take on this, being a devotee now for over a year and making it to the 40 kg weight:

Both the 1 hand swings and the getups build lots of nice strength and muscle. Both also get your heart rate up but I'd say the swings are a little more like playing a hard hitting sport. Both moves are very much like sport moves because of the amount of movement and the range of movement involved in them.

Therefore, my simple answer to the question of "will I lose fitness" is the simple answer "no, you'll gain it."

If I only do S&S instead of what I've been doing until now, will I lose fitness?

-S-
I have found a definite WTH factor from S&S in my alpine skiing and road cycling. I feel much stronger at both as a result of regular S&S practice. As far as GPP goes, I'm able to perform at my job more efficiently as well as chores around our small farm.

Hello,

It terms of fitness, I would say I gained. Indeed, when I only ran, I had more difficulties to ruck or even walk long time. However, since I do daily swings, I can still run, but now can ruck without trouble. So from this perspective, I gained fitness.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My experience, I did S&S from 21st September 2015 to 9th March 2016, so just over 5 months. Started with a 24kg and progressed to the 32kg for all reps and sets, very close to meeting simple (I could do both the swings and the GUs in the time but not with a 1 minute break between). Towards the end I had started working in 1 handed swings with the 40kg too. I suffered a wrist injury so stopped training for a couple of weeks and even after that the GU was uncomfortable so switched back to double presses with the 24s.

Whilst I'm not addressing the question of "fitness" directly, I found that my double press groove and press strength with the 24s had significantly deteriorated during that time and it took me a little while to build back up to where I was before starting S&S.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom