all posts post new thread

Nutrition IF/OMAD & long distance cardio?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The Issue With That

This to some extent covered in the information provide by Dr MIke T. Nelson in post 15.

The issue is that it takes time for the body to adjust if an individual is on a High Carbohydrate Diet and then goes on a Ketogenic Diet.

The same applies with going from a Ketogenic Diet to a Higher Carbohydate.

More Detail

It would be interesting to see how you applied it.

To reiterate, the research and anecdotal data indicate it take time for the body to adapt.

Base on the Metabolic Flexibility data, it appears this is a more optimal method for athletes be able access and utilize ketones/fats and glucose/carbohydrates, dependent on the sport or activity
Sure thing Kenny…

Certainly not keto at all.
Generally I follow the guidelines in the aforementioned Uphill Athlete book, and discussions I have had with the authors. Which basically come down to three things:
  • Doing the majority of my training early on in the day in a ‘fasted’ state (i.e. mildly glycogen depleted)
  • Having a diet that is reduced in carbohydrates and increased in fat.
  • Performing a high volume of low-intensity training (locomotive endurance)
Also I should note that I don’t train/live this way all of the time. But I am more rigorous about the application in the weeks and months leading up to a major event. As you noted there is time needed for the body to adapt.

Lots of folks in the ultra world are low-carb or Keto. Every single one of them uses some level of carbs for races, when they are wanting to be competitive. Mike McKnight and Jeff Browning(I think) have both ran 100 miles on no calories, but they have both won several 100 mile and even 200 mile races and use carbs during races. Fats sit in your stomach like a boulder when you are moving.

Take it from someone who is lower-carb, and trains fasted almost exclusively, except when I am going over 2 hours. Then I ingest some carbs. I like Hammer products.

Every single one of them uses some level of carbs for races, when they are wanting to be competitive.
Ketogenic Diet

As we know, it takes about three days for the body to get into ketosis; burning ketones instead of glucose.

If someone goes back to a higher carbohydrate intake, it takes about same amount of time for the body to effectively use glucose from carbohydrates.

Thus, if these individual go back to using carbohydrates for their runs or competition, it is going to take a week or three for that transition to effective occur.

trains fasted almost exclusively, except when I am going over 2 hours.

Intermittent Fasting

Research (Dr Mike T. Nelson) determined Intermittent Fasting produces Metabolic Flexibiliity.

The body learns to use ketone or glucose, dependent on the demand.

Why a Ketogenic Diet Does NOT Increase Metabolic Flexility

As Dr Mike T. Nelson states...

1) Ketogenic Diet

Going on a Ketogenic Diet increased the "Body's Ketone Producing Machinery". The body is "Ketone Dependent".

It is efficient at using Body Fat/Keones for energy and ineffective at burning accessing Glucose for energy.

It does so at the expense the body's ability to effectively use Glucose from Carbohydrates.

2) Traditional High Carbohydrate Western Diet

Being on a Traditional High Carbohydrate Diet increases the "Body's Glucose Production Machinery". The body is "Glucose Dependent".

It is efficient at using Glucose for energy and inefficient at burning Body Fat/Ketones.

Secondly, High Carbohydrate Meals or Snacks throughout the day, maintain elevated Insulin Levels.

Insulin blocks Body Fat from being used for energy.

3) Intermittent Fasting

a) With Intermittent Fasting, the body becomes more Metabolically Flexible. The body become effective at determing when to use Ketones and Glycogen.

Think of Intermittent Fasting like a...

Hybrid Car

1) At slow speeds the car uses electricity. The body in this situation, low level activities, become more efficient at utilizing Ketones/Body Fat for fuel.

2) With quick acceleration for passing another car, the Hybrid Car uses gas. The body in this situation, with an intense exercise, uses Glycogen.

Last edited:
^above are all good responses; in my experience, long duration cardio is doable if you have reserves. In contrast, if I am on a cutting period, multiple days of long duration cardio on a fast will just leave me tired and with little energy.

Wow.
Someday I want to complete the Ranger challenge... 12 miles under three hours with a 35# ruck.
I don't know why it's called a Ranger challenge. That's just the Army standard for the infantry and any Army schools you go to. Done in uniform and with Army boots. Water weight doesn't count nor does the rifle you carry.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom