all posts post new thread

Kettlebell If this is not proof kettlebell superiority, than whats?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 4484

1wWB39A.jpg

Okay, the thread is not super serious, but if Fedor use(d) bells, I´m in! :)
Anyone know what kind of bells that is?

Hello,

Fedor uses kettlebells because they mostly are full body moves. In MMA he needs a lot of power so for that he is obliged to involve his whole body.

If you see his fights you will see how well he transmits power from legs to fists thanks to body torque. Kettlebell is one of the rare tools which allow to connect that well the body parts.

Besides he has a pretty good technique as well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, I started watching UFC 96 and Pride FC in early 2000 so the question was more rhetorical ;)

Hello,

Conor Mc Gregor moves also very well and is pretty strong regarding his height / weight.

Enjoy your fights ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

If only he had longer arms. You can get stronger but you can't lengthen your reach. The shorter your arms the more likely you will lose.

If only he had longer arms. You can get stronger but you can't lengthen your reach. The shorter your arms the more likely you will lose.

Well its not completely true, but I get what you are trying to say ;)

Hello,

If you move well...you can run ;)

I think that someone who is small can move better. I am former boxer. I observed that tall guys are slower and less explosive than the smaller ones.

In all cases, kb will help you to increase mobility (GU, bent press, squat) and power (swing, C&J...)

As Pavel says "Power to you" ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

If you move well...you can run ;)

I think that someone who is small can move better. I am former boxer. I observed that tall guys are slower and less explosive than the smaller ones.

In all cases, kb will help you to increase mobility (GU, bent press, squat) and power (swing, C&J...)

As Pavel says "Power to you" ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

That is my standpoint as well. I´m a former Krav Maga and Thaiboxning practitioner, and once the short or those with shorter reach got a hang of it, they did really good against us who was lankier and fighted from the outside.

Regarding KBs, you are right .. Get-ups is my game-changer! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve; can you edit my sentence above to the more comprehensive
"I´m a former Krav Maga and Thaiboxning practitioner, and once the short or those with shorter reach got a hang of it, they did really good against us who was lankier and fighted from the outside."

Thank you :)

Hello,

Fedor is also big and heavy ;)

A curious thing about a user of kettlebell is that he is not really "lean" but still moves very well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Longer reach actually needs greater mobility to make use of it. If the shorter reach must constantly fight to close, better odds of getting tagged repeatedly on the way in.

But then for straight boxing, the shorter reach will do well to tie up as often as possible, get in tight and push em around - think Frazier vs Ali #1.

Really, footwork trumps reach most of the time no matter.

My apologies for running off topic...

Longer reach actually needs greater mobility to make use of it. If the shorter reach must constantly fight to close, better odds of getting tagged repeatedly on the way in.

But then for straight boxing, the shorter reach will do well to tie up as often as possible, get in tight and push em around - think Frazier vs Ali #1.

Really, footwork trumps reach most of the time no matter.

My apologies for running off topic...
I know that a skillful boxer is going to do better than an unskilful guy with longer arms, but reach is a very big component of any kind of fight, including large scale wars.

In his last fights I felt it wasn't him anymore... But back in the Pride days and his first stint in Affliction... His domination of Nogueira in his Pride title bout was unexpected, brutal, methodical... What a great fighter he's been.

To answer your question about what type of bells these are, @Stefan Olsson, and assuming you refer to the one of more a cilindric shaped central part, my guess is that it's a competition ghirya which has been loaded in some way. This is a quite common way to go really heavy (up to near 100 kg, but the virtual limit is probably higher) with competition bells which theoretically can't increase the bell size: what you do is loading them from the diamater down. If I'm not mistake, there are videos of people making them heavier with concrete bases: sick!

In his last fights I felt it wasn't him anymore... But back in the Pride days and his first stint in Affliction... His domination of Nogueira in his Pride title bout was unexpected, brutal, methodical... What a great fighter he's been.

To answer your question about what type of bells these are, @Stefan Olsson, and assuming you refer to the one of more a cilindric shaped central part, my guess is that it's a competition ghirya which has been loaded in some way. This is a quite common way to go really heavy (up to near 100 kg, but the virtual limit is probably higher) with competition bells which theoretically can't increase the bell size: what you do is loading them from the diamater down. If I'm not mistake, there are videos of people making them heavier with concrete bases: sick!

You are right, he has seen his better days. Since the loss to Werdum everything has gone downhill. He heydays in Pride was something special, the same goes for Wand in Pride! Good ol days!

Thanks for clarification about the bells, they look a colossus! :eek:

I still remember the bombs Sokoudjou threw on Nogueira and Arona, and how sadly he fell once he was brought into the UFC... I used to be a Pride fan boy, and always thought they got better rules (although the kicks to the head of a downed opponenet have always a butality to me) and better fighters - especially the heavyweight division, also given the fact that, at the time, it was an absolute disaster aside from Frank Mir, while Pride already had the Emelianenko brothers, Nogueira, Hunt, CroCop and Kharitonov at the top of their form. But I could do nothing but surrender to the evidence once Pride was absorbed... I know I'm gonna go in a dark place here, but the way most ex Pride fighters performed sub-par in the UFC left me with a lot of doubts about the drugs regulation in the UFC and the complete lack of it in Pride...

About the bells: go look for some video... The shape they can get is both funny and scarry! :D

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom