all posts post new thread

Old Forum "If you can ____ a kettlebell, then you can also ____ the same kettlebell"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fajita_McJones

Level 2 Valued Member
Got to thinking after reading "From the Ground Up" by Dan Johns.  There's a part where he quotes someone that says "If you can front squat a weight for three reps, you can jerk that same weight overhead."

I was wondering what kind of corollaries you've found in your own training, kettlebell or otherwise.  To start, I've found that 5 minutes of TGU with a specific weight of kettlebell seems to equal being able to MP it for at least a single on each side.

Totally depends on the individual, his/her leverages, experience with different lifts....

However, the '3 atg FS = 1 C&J' is pretty commonly cited. I believe that David Willoughby also said that in a 'balanced' athlete who practiced all the lifts in question, 3 FS should equal 1 C&J, which should also equal the lifter's max bench and max weighted chinup (including both bodyweight and added weight).

Thus, a 200lb athlete with a 400 pound bench should also be able to

front squat 400x3

clean and jerk 400x1

do a weighted chinup with 200 pounds added

Personally, if I can bottom up press a kettlebell, I can MP a kettlebell 8kg heavier (and the converse).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom