all posts post new thread

Bodyweight If you could only practice just ONE bodyweight exercise, what would it be?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Not sure that counts considering the other person is technically an external load but being a former wrestler, there is no better workout!
Depends on the perspective - strictly speaking, its still the weight of a body ;) But of course, it was intended as a trick answer. If the question was what exercise I'd pick in addition to wrestling, I'd be hard pressed deciding between rope climbs in L-sit and bridge spins for high reps (very important exercise for specific leg endurance in my school - you're supposed to do 30 circles per minute for 2x3 minutes), but I'd probably go with the former since I can burn out my legs and neck enough just by wrestling.

Where'd you wrestle and what style? With me, it was Greco and Freestyle in Germany and Austria, mostly under Russian coaches.

Cheers
Period.

Depends on the perspective - strictly speaking, its still the weight of a body ;) But of course, it was intended as a trick answer. If the question was what exercise I'd pick in addition to wrestling, I'd be hard pressed deciding between rope climbs in L-sit and bridge spins for high reps (very important exercise for specific leg endurance in my school - you're supposed to do 30 circles per minute for 2x3 minutes), but I'd probably go with the former since I can burn out my legs and neck enough just by wrestling.

Where'd you wrestle and what style? With me, it was Greco and Freestyle in Germany and Austria, mostly under Russian coaches.

Cheers
Period.
I'm from California. I grew up wrestling freestyle since age 7 and then switched to American folkstyle beginning high school. The last style I competed in was beach wrestling which is a lot of fun and exciting to watch. Hopefully the sport gains more traction.

The Russians are the best!

I'm from California. I grew up wrestling freestyle since age 7 and then switched to American folkstyle beginning high school. The last style I competed in was beach wrestling which is a lot of fun and exciting to watch. Hopefully the sport gains more traction.

The Russians are the best!

Yes, I was quite fortunate to have the coaches and international teammates I had. I never did beach wrestling, but it sounds like a lot of fun. We had a number of folkstyle wrestlers training with us, though - one of the teams I wrestled for in Germany was in a city that still had a fairly large US garrison at the time. Good times!

Cheers
Period.

Set a pull up bar height at just under your max jump reach. Push yourself off the deck from a prone position, jump to bar, do a pull up or three then a few hanging abs, swing yourself in the air and let go at a decent height for a nice depth jump, hit the deck, repeat.

Could substitute a rope climb for a pull up bar.
The perfect answer is…if i could only do one bw exercise for the rest of my life I’d do six in a chain! Love it.

The only one I can think of that would provide the most bang for buck for the WHOLE body is the One-Arm One-Leg Push-up (which I assume is why it's the choice for SFB cert).

It's not necessarily the best bodyweight press (I reserve that pick for the Planche Push-up), nor is it a phenomenal leg exercise BUT it covers probably the most bases of any single pick and has plenty of "WTH effect" carryover to exercises like the One-Arm Chin-up. The best part is all you need is a floor!

What is your pick?
Push-ups! It's the most basic and fundamental of all bodyweight exercises, which is why it's my personal favorite. I like to do 100 in sets of ten throughout the day as a quick break from my work, but you can also put them together into "challenges" by pushing yourself for more reps or adding chains one arm at a time for complexity. It gets both mind and body working!

Push-ups! It's the most basic and fundamental of all bodyweight exercises, which is why it's my personal favorite. I like to do 100 in sets of ten throughout the day as a quick break from my work, but you can also put them together into "challenges" by pushing yourself for more reps or adding chains one arm at a time for complexity. It gets both mind and body working!
I often toyed with the idea of accumulating high reps during a day. How have you found this?

Richard

Wow, my suggestion was L sit, but this is an entirely different beast, sinister almost.
I'm giving it a go at work tomorrow. ?

Go for it, it's a lot of fun and a staple in the conditioning of both wrestlers and gymnasts. My Greco coach was the uncrowned king of rope climbs in L-sit, allegedly his best (confirmed by a number of usually reliable sources) he was able to climb the 6m rope up and down 15 times in a row without touching the ground or dropping the legs (he wrestled at 68 kg, his walkaround weight was a lot higher though). According to him, there are very few muscles in the body that don't get a workout by this exercise if you do it properly - purposely tense the legs and point the toes, climb up as fast as you can and down as slowly as possible, and pull to the hips (!) when climbing- If you can't pull to the hips, pull as low as possible (as few reaches as you can to the top), but aim for the hips or at least sternum. The reason being that in wrestling, you always pull to the center of gravity.

Cheers
Period.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom