all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed If you could only stick to 5 exercises?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

justkel_

Level 1 Valued Member
Curious to hear opinions on what 5 exercises are considered to be most effective in changing body composition?

I’d probably assume:

1. Barbell Squats
2. Deadlifts
3. Planks
4. Split Squats
5. Burpees

But I’m curious to see what others would put as their 5? (If I were a guy, I’d include benchpress, but I’m not after chest heavy goals haha)

I'm not sure about my top 5 but they would include the powerlifts.

Low bar barbell back squat as number 1 for me. If done right, it is a hinge, and it's a squat. Best of both worlds!

- big pull (barbell deadlift, kettlebell or dumbbell swing or snatch)
- big press (get-up - sort of static press, barbell/kettlebell/dumbbell military press or side press or bent press, barbell bench press, one-arm pushup)
- squat (goblet squat, barbell Zercher/front/back squat, pistol)

Curious to hear opinions on what 5 exercises are considered to be most effective in changing body composition?

Most effective in changing body composition?

Compound barbell exercises most effective for building muscle. Having more muscle helps maintain good body composition.

Steady state cardio most effective for burning fat (many, many hours of it. It's great if you enjoy it, but it's much easier to eat less). But if no time for steady state cardio, any type of "work" in the gym will burn calories.

As for kettlebell or barbell, squat or hinge, push or pull.... for body composition, it doesn't matter. You need to develop the body's muscles, develop the energy systems, DO WORK, and adjust caloric intake. There's no magic exericse for body composition.

Closed Jaw Isometric Hold.

ROFL Supersetted with table pushbacks

(If I were a guy, I’d include benchpress, but I’m not after chest heavy goals haha)

Not 100% sure if I'm understanding you, but sounds like you might be falling victim to the misconception that lifting weights will make you "puffy". Sure, becoming a competitive powerlifter and doing the associated training will make you puffy, but most folks really don't have to worry about it - a few hours of training a week isn't going to blow you up. Probably the opposite.

@Anna C nailed it - get strong, develop some endurance, and do the work in the kitchen. The "best" exercises are really the ones you enjoy enough to do consistently.

Most effective in changing body composition?

Compound barbell exercises most effective for building muscle. Having more muscle helps maintain good body composition.

Steady state cardio most effective for burning fat (many, many hours of it. It's great if you enjoy it, but it's much easier to eat less). But if no time for steady state cardio, any type of "work" in the gym will burn calories.

As for kettlebell or barbell, squat or hinge, push or pull.... for body composition, it doesn't matter. You need to develop the body's muscles, develop the energy systems, DO WORK, and adjust caloric intake. There's no magic exericse for body composition.

This needs to be posted in every gym, everywhere.

Brilliance in the basics does it every time.

-Swings
-Chin up/Pull up
-Any big press (Dips, OA Pushup or OHP they all make me strong and have there own charm)
-Any Squat (probably Goblet)
-Armbars

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom