all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed If you did only 1 exercise and 1 stretch..

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Say you experimented with doing only 1 strength exercise and 1 stretch for a period of time, like 90 days (arbitrary).

What would you choose?

I would probably choose 2 handed pushups (strength) and half pigeon (yoga).

A runner up for me would be chin ups (varying grips, from ledges, rings, bars, doors, stairs) and child's pose.

For instance - GTG with chin ups 3-5x / week and hit child's pose for 10-20 minutes every night before bed. Add regular walking (30-90 minutes/ day) and lots of fresh, cool water.

You could probably make meaningful progress doing something like this for 30-90 days. Just a thought.

Probably Chinups + Pigeon

Maybe Crawling + Pigeon.

Both coupled with an active life which would take care of aerobic fitness and a base level of healthy legs: Walking, riding the bike, yard work, carrying children, carrying groceries, hiking, taking stairs etc.

Luckily I live in a land of exercise choice abundance ;)

Pushups or Pull-ups....and wheel/bridge.

I think most people are choosing those exercises because they are pretty well proven for full body strength and tension generation.

Wheel/bridge gives a posterior chain emphasis and has a nice “full body mobility” component, more complete than pigeon I think.

With all of those movements one could work up to one arm one legs variants and be quite impressive.

Though like @Bauer says I’m glad I don’t have to be so limited.

Deadlifts and arm bars.

Edit: Now I see this was posted in the body weight section. Never mind. I’ll let myself out.

I didnt mean for it to be a bodyweight only thing.. I just thought this section would ve most apprpriate

With the stretch I agree with @Jak Nieuwenhuis and pick half pigeon. It's great, and economic in how it hits more than just one place, and what it stretches is what typically gets stiff for me from exercise and sitting etc.

I also agree when it comes to the bodyweight exercise. I'd go with the push-up. If I was more advanced in calisthenics the exercise could be a different one. But the push-up (and the variations, if permissible) are always good. And I think the upper body is more easily trained with bodyweight than the lower body, so that counts into the push-up as well.

It was harder to pick the weighted exercise. I was really close to picking the zercher, but snatch grip deficit deadlift it is.

An experiment like this could be a fun thing to do. But I like exercising too much and have standards to keep so I will have to pass for now.

Two, of course. Or soon someone will pick their favourite complex.

I suppose. Presuming one has a rack. As far as my training has gone, I haven't done a press without preceding a clean in years. Even with a kettlebell? I can't imagine how else it would get up to the shoulder. Ok fine, that aside I'd probably choose the Zercher from the floor (deadlift to knees and lift) and hang from a pullup bar.

Last edited:
I suppose. Presuming one has a rack. As far as my training has gone, I haven't done a press without preceding a clean in years. Even with a kettlebell? I can't imagine how else it would get up to the shoulder. Ok fine, that aside I'd probably choose the Zercher from the floor (deadlift to knees and lift) and hang from a pullup bar.

It is an inconvenience. This also proves how the discussion itself is arbitrary. But don't you think comparing the clean & press to practically every other single lift would be unfair?

It is an inconvenience. This also proves how the discussion itself is arbitrary. But don't you think comparing the clean & press to practically every other single lift would be unfair?

Yes it really would. If it were considered a single lift, I'm not sure anything else could really compare.

Zercher Deadlift (bar on floor, lift in crooks of elbows) and Cossack stretch.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom