all posts post new thread

Nutrition IIFYM

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone ever used IIFYM?? Any advice experience
Ran the numbers and this came back
Protein Grams: 189
Fat Grams: 83
Carbs Grams: 154
Fiber Grams: 33-44

When all of these macros are added up, you get a total of 2114 calories.

I was thinking of running it for the next 4 weeks and track using MFP and see how it goes..

Hello,

I never used it myself, but like any diet, I think it depends on your goals, and if you have any med constraints.

It may oblige you to count every calories of everything you will eat, everyday to precisely see if it fits your macros.

Then, some things make me "doubt": what about insuline response (for instance) if you eat a pizza and then a ice cream ? Maybe you get you daily macro, but you can create a favorable body environment to further fat storage.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi Conor, I've not used it but I've been reading up on various approaches recently. I saw this article on T-Nation which I felt raised some good points, sounds like IIFYM can be a good for for those tracking their macros but as always some people take it too far and forget the focus on health.

IIFYM: The Good, Bad, and the Ugly | T Nation

Thanks guys..I'm going try and to track Cals and see if I can work roughly within those parameters. I've tried it before but family life etc makes it really challenging. I'll see how it goes but I'll not be eating ice cream etc...well hopefully..

Hello,

@conor78
Beyond macros, quality is also important. If you focus on that, maybe it can be good. Plus, paying attention to biological constraints also plays a role (insulin sensitivity, gluten, LDL / HDL, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

For me it is what is sustainable? can I count calories for awhile, maybe, but I am looking for what I can do long term. So far IF seems to be working and is more sustainable. I am losing, without counting. Now keep in mind I have a lot to lose, I am not trying to go from 15% BF to 10%.

@morrisda Sustainability is clearly very important and different things will work for different people based on results sought as you indicated in your response. As far as weight loss / fat loss is concerned any method that will create a weekly deficit will work, regardless of health benefits or not. The level of deficit and ratios of macros will determine how much you lose, muscle loss / maintenance and body composition.

Hello,

For me it is what is sustainable?
Sustainable can vary in function of the person. To me, a sustainable diet is an "easy" diet which does not put too many constraints and fits my goal. I have to be able to do it "without thinking about it", for several months or even year. It does not have to jeopardize my health (lack of nutrients, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

If done right IIFYM is probably one of the best diet styles you can use.
It goes without saying that you should make wise food choices most of the time but if you "fill up" your remaining 250kcals with a candy bar just go for it!
It also leaves you much more flexibility in your other food choices without scapegoating certain foods as "good" or bad.
For example: lets assume you eat a nice bowl of chili and have white bread with it. White bread might not be the healthiest thing in the world but with all the fibre/veggies/micronutrients from the chili it is perfectly fine!
Start seeing things within the context not just black/white.
Furthermore IIFYM is pretty much self limiting. If you have 2200kcals on the bank and eat a big pizza and ice cream, you probably already went pretty much overboard with your fats and carbs, while neglegti g protein and fibre. There is nothing wrong with having a huge feast once in a while but again: context and wise choices most of the time!

Hello,

A good way to monitor kcal and macro is to create a kind of list, as follows:
Name of the product: pizza, ham, salad, tomatoes, etc...
Proteines
Carbs
Fats
Fibers

You can do that by rounding the figures to make it simpler (36 > 40 ; 34 > 30 ; 35 > 35).

In advance, you write down your daily needs for proteines, carbs, etc... Then, when you buy something, you can immediately report and see how it goes and you will be able to fill in each category. With time, it will be natural to count and track.

Kind regards,

Pet'

The only part of IIFYM thst I find tricky is the fibre part. Maybe it's habit but I only ever really think about nutrition in terms of carbs fats proteins. Trying to stay under 2100 cals. Easy during the week, weekends a different matter.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom