all posts post new thread

Off-Topic I'm grateful for having weight training in my life

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

slnm

Level 1 Valued Member
Last night a friend who I love to dance with fell and broke her hip and femur. She is in her mid-60's, has a small frame and, as far as I know, doesn't weight train. It's sad that a human body can be so frail that a dance fall would result in such a serious injury. At a gym I once worked out at there was a sign that read "We don't fall and break a hip, we break a hip and then we fall." The point was that hips that aren't frail should not break that easily.

This experience of my friend, who is in surgery now having a full hip replacement, helps me to put my own training in perspective. During those times when I get down on myself for not training hard enough or not training often enough or not pressing enough weight I can take a step back and remind myself that I train my body to be fit enough to do the things I love to do safely. Today, that is enough. I'm grateful to have kettlebell work be a part of my strength training.

Sol

As sad as it is, for a lot of people breaking a hip can spell the end. Best of luck in recovery to your friend. You are right, sometimes things help put into perspective our own lives. It's not about pressing the weight the person beside you is; it's pressing the weight you couldn't do 3 months ago

May I wish your friend the best of luck in her recovery, a good physical therapist can make all the difference . As for training it's taken me nearly 30 years to work out that I'm not training to be a ninja ,navy seal etc I'm just looking to improve that ugly beggar that stares back out the shaving mirror

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom