all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed I'm looking to buy a heart rate monitor

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ap0c

Level 5 Valued Member
I want to incorporate some LSS work into my week, and I'm wondering if any of you have a heart rate monitor that you like that will somehow audibly alert me when my heart rate is too high and perhaps also too low. Perhaps it could connect to my phone via bluetooth and play a sound or something.

I use a polar h10 and the polar beat app to do this. Only things I don’t like is the app doesn’t track elevation gain and I can’t set custom hr zones. But the zones are pretty close to what I’d put in anyways.

Polar H10 is usually considered one of the most reliable sensors. I have bought it on recommendation from Harald Motz and others and have not been disappointed. Pairs nicely with my Android phone. There are some guided programs for running - but I would like to see a customizable guide (beep when going below or above a certain range).

Only things I don’t like is the app doesn’t track elevation gain and I can’t set custom hr zones.
There are some guided programs for running - but I would like to see a customizable guide (beep when going below or above a certain range).
I use my Polar H9 (similar, but without built in memory) with an app called Zones that addresses both of these issues. The standard Beat app works fine, but Zones is similar with these two additional features.

For polar chest strap users....get a polar watch. I don't use a hr much now but had a H7 chest strap and watch....think the previous one to H10. I have the Bluetooth H7 now which works with the app and watch. Not sure of the model, quite old now I suppose given that it was pre Bluetooth but it is very basic non chunky quite minimal to wear. It has an audible alarm and custom hr settings.
It is more functional for in session use, better than the app in my view and for running, if that's what you do.
Picked mine up for 20 quid (gbp) off ebay.
Doesn't do graphs though!!
The watch is better for feedback, learning, less intrusive and less distracting than the app, overall.
So, yeah, combine them. Run the app in the background to record stuff, or if H10 download later, and use the watch for feedback.
Use it and then ditch the lot. ?

I use my Polar H9 (similar, but without built in memory) with an app called Zones that addresses both of these issues. The standard Beat app works fine, but Zones is similar with these two additional features.
Thanks, that is really helpful!

I've had two Polar H10s and liked them a lot. Each has lasted about 1.5 years and then pffft. It's irritating, but not so irritating that I won't get a new one.

Thanks I’ll try that out

I’ll buck the trend. I use a Wahoo Tickr strap and I really like it. It pairs well with everything I’ve used it with (iPhone for Kettlebells and MacBook for Zwift). It has a pretty long range as well for circuit style workouts.

I've had two Polar H10s and liked them a lot. Each has lasted about 1.5 years and then pffft. It's irritating, but not so irritating that I won't get a new one.
Just ordered my third H10 this afternoon. Yep ~1.5 years and it tears up (Southeastern US for ceases to function). They also don’t respond well to washing machines…:rolleyes:

Mine first Suunto HR Strap misbehaved after 3 years of using. Bought the second one.

Stay Strong. Stay Hard. Get After It.

Polar h10 is really good, but personally I prefer optical polar oh1. It's accurate enough and way more user friendly. I just strap it around my biceps and I'm ready to go. Works well for kettlebell work, calisthenics and naturally for things like jogging too...

Just ordered my third H10 this afternoon. Yep ~1.5 years and it tears up (Southeastern US for ceases to function). They also don’t respond well to washing machines…:rolleyes:
I just replace the strap when it wears out. Lots cheaper than buying the whole unit.

I just replace the strap when it wears out. Lots cheaper than buying the whole unit.
Mine isn't the strap that's the problem. The unit itself just is done - replacing the battery doesn't do anything. I should probably send it to Polar and see if they'll fix it, but my guess is that they might not. I might give a call to customer service just to see - if I do, I'll report back here.

Mine isn't the strap that's the problem. The unit itself just is done - replacing the battery doesn't do anything. I should probably send it to Polar and see if they'll fix it, but my guess is that they might not. I might give a call to customer service just to see - if I do, I'll report back here.
You can also just replace the sensor too for about $30 less than the whole kit.

My sensor is also what tore up. It works but only after pairing it again and then immediately starting my training. It also takes a few pairing attempts, kinda like starting an old outboard. I trust you, though, because you agreed that Hoppes #9 smells great!! :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom