I'm new :) is my template ok?

Discussion in 'Barbell' started by Michael Brian Turner, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Michael Brian Turner

Michael Brian Turner My Third Post

Hello I'm Michael from UK :)

I have an issue of over complicating things (obsessive disorder) and literally do the paralysis by analysis so I found this template on line which seems to fit me

Going to keep it simple on my PPL
    3x8-12 per exercise (rest pause 5 reps on last set)
    2x12-20 Isolation exercise
    Aim for 6 days a week minimum 3
    Hypertrophy goal

Push
    Vertical Push
    Horizontal Push
    Tricep iso

Pull
    Vertical pull
    Horizontal pull
    Bicep iso

Leg
    Quad dominant
    Hip/hamstring dominant
    Calve

Currently at 250lb wanting to get to 270lb and go on a serious cut.

Doing a 500cal daily clean bulk surplus at 3700cal to aim to gain 1lb a week and yoga twice a week as injury prevention and flexibility

Does anyone else use a very simplified training plan?

The template is based on the classic Push pull leg article from oldschooltrainer

So does this hit all bases regarding the template? I have my exercises already so that's not a problem, I just want to know if the template is good

Thankyou

2. Anna C

Anna C More than 5000 posts Certified Instructor

Welcome, @Michael Brian Turner

Is it a bodybuilding template?

You're likely to find a focus more on strenth-building, here... but there are some knowledgeable people on other types of programs.

Might want to tell us more about your goals.

3. Michael Brian Turner

Michael Brian Turner My Third Post

My main goal is to get in the best shape I can get, also injury free before may 6th next year (my 30th birthday) I have a few disabilities including chronic pain, and other weight training related issues that I'm dealing with.

So my main focus is muscle building and longevity, but due to my obsessive nature I wanted something simple to work with hence the 3 exercise PPL routine, so I just need to know if it's good to go :)

4. Pavel Macek

Pavel Macek More than 2500 posts Master Instructor

@Michael Brian Turner Welcome to the forum, sir!

My suggestion is to start some of the time tested foundational programs - Kettlebell Simple & Sinister is a great choice.

Meet the "Simple" goal, and then decide, what to do next.

5. Anna C

Anna C More than 5000 posts Certified Instructor

Fine idea by @Pavel Macek, and it's a good way to get started... However, some people are not inclined to kettlebell training, and that's OK.

Since you posted in the barbell forum, you might prefer the barbell.

I just don't think there's enough information to answer your question. There's no information about how you'll progress, for instance. And I'd be a bit concerned about "chronic pain", "other weight training related issues", and "Currently at 250lb wanting to get to 270lb and go on a serious cut."

But these are good goals: "get in the best shape I can get", "injury free", "muscle building and longevity", and "something simple to work with."

I would suggest a simple, sustainable, strength-building program using compound movement big lifts like squat, deadlift, press, bench press, and row.