all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Importance of Lats For Boxing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nyet07

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,

I was again reading one of Pavel's articles in strongfirst. In the tactical pull-up article written by Pavel he mentions how lats are important to a fighter since they allow one to put mass to his punches. I incorporated that idea into my own workouts and tried different punches with different degrees to a punch bag.

I realized when my elbows are close to the body (from 0 to 45 degrees), I was able to transform all my body mass to the punching bag. However, when the angle between my elbows and my torso began to past 45 degrees, I realized I was losing a lot of power because the kinetic chain was breaking at my shoulder. Basically my shoulders wasn't able to convey all the mass coming from the body. The closer elbows are to the body, the better performance conveying all the mass. Then I began to think that lats may not be "connecting" arms to the body as much as the article claims.

I have huge lats, powerful glutes and lower body, and strong torso overall. However, my weakest points have always been my upper body such as the chest, shoulders, and mid-upper back. I am one those having huge lats and relatively small mid-back.

When punching with a elbow positioned 90 degrees to the torso, is it my weaknesses at chest, shoulder and upper-back that prevent me to put all the mass behind my punch? What do lats have to do about it?

Basically your lats keeo your shoulders packed and help transfer firce from your lower body to your upper body.
You might try progressing towards the OAPU which connects force output from your lower body through your lats to your hand which will ultimateley transfer to your punching power

The primary function of the lats when punching is to keep the shoulder packed and for return speed - half of punching speed is how fast you can rechamber.

Most punching power comes from solid technique and mass. I cannot recall the formula, but as limb movement increases, motor unit activation drops way off. Accelerate and let the mass drive it through the target. Power comes from the floor and connection through the core.

Edit to add: if you hit harder with elbows more in, then practice with more of your punches using that mechanics - nothing wrong with it. Work with the elbow out a bit more and into corkscrew punches etc as a supplemental. You strongest straight shots will always be with the elbows in closer to your body - there's more mechanical advantage and no matter how strong your lat connection it will always be true.

To generate more power with elbows out further you need to switch to hook mechanics. The overhand corkscrew can generate a lot of power but that also involves lowering your center of mass as it lands - not the same as a straight punch.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom