all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Improving bench press, pull-ups & chin-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MountainManJohn

Level 2 Valued Member
I've been following SF for some time but I'm new to the forum :-D
My weak areas in strength training are the bench press, pull-ups and chin-ups. Outside of my fitness classes 2x/week (which are KB and body-strength intensive), I would like to know of body-weight techniques I can do at home to improve on these weak areas. In regard to the bench press, I was going to go the route Jody P. suggested in his article below (my MaxRP = 35, so currently doing 20 RPs/set daily, which I am tracking):

I have a pull-up bar at home. I welcome suggestions for body-weight routines I can do at home to improve my weak areas!

Final note: last night I achieved a PR of 205lbs for a hard-style weight plank. Next goal is 100kg. Other plank styles recommended to improve core strength?

--john

Welcome to the SF Forum
A bit more information about you would be helpful... age, injury history, training history, sports participation, and especially training goals and aspirations.

As far as bodyweight training goes... around here, the most prescribed programmes are Naked Warrior and FPP

Again welcome...

Hello;

+1 @offwidth

@MountainManJohn
My two cents:
Most of the folks who train the OVH press (either kb or bb) report an increase in their bench press. In a recent video, Dan John himself reported it.

So assuming you want to do bodyweight, handstand push ups with a deficit will help you in the bench. Of course OA / OAOL PU as offwidth said will transfer well.

Regarding the pull up well...as offwidth said.

For the core, using bodyweight
- HS plank
- Hanging Leg Raises
- Dragon flag
- Progression toward full planche

For the core, using weights
- Squat, DL, OVH
- Swings / get ups
- Carries (farmer, suitcase, waiter, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Welcome to the SF Forum
A bit more information about you would be helpful... age, injury history, training history, sports participation, and especially training goals and aspirations.

As far as bodyweight training goes... around here, the most prescribed programmes are Naked Warrior and FPP

Again welcome...
OK! I am 50 yo. No injuries.
Weekly activity: train on Mon and Wed evenings (normally) at a class (not large) which is kettlebell and bodyweight intensive. A mix of strength training and conditioning. Very well structured. In general, I've been to various personal and group trainers in the past 5+ years. In terms if routines, well, you name it and I've likely gone through it in my class.

It is on weekends when I hike; I hike the mountains of the Adirondacks in NYS, year-round. Hikes can be anywhere from 8 mi round-trip to 20 mi round-trip, with 2,000-7,000 ft elev gain. Can last from 8 to 12+ hrs. Pack can be 25-30lbs. Endurance is key. I hike either one day or both Sat and Sun, weather and availability depending.

Goals: improved strength (in general), and increased performance on my hikes in regard to endurance.

Thanks, and hope this help! Honestly, I am much more fit now than when I was back in high school or college.

Hello,

@MountainManJohn
It will be a little bit out of the pure bodyweight session, however, there is an excellent article on SF blog about rucking:

There is also the following thread on the kettlebell forum:

I hope this can be helpful.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Tha
Hello,

@MountainManJohn
It will be a little bit out of the pure bodyweight session, however, there is an excellent article on SF blog about rucking:

There is also the following thread on the kettlebell forum:

I hope this can be helpful.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you! I will read those today

If your main thing is hiking in the mountains then that is what I would focus on in training.
Rucking like what @pet' was getting at would be my first stop. (And maybe last)

Anyone engaging in uphill endurance activities can benefit from a deep aerobic base. That base is built by many accumulated hours of LED locomotive work. Running, Rucking, etc.

You could augment that with some strength work if you like. (S&S also compliments most anything)

All that bodyweight stuff and pull-ups and such are great, but very secondary in my opinion.

(Experience: 4.5 decades of moving in the mountains...)

(Speaking of the 'dacks..I remember summiting Mt. Marcy in the dead of winter in the early 80's)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom