all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Improving for 2km rum while not moving over the lactic threshold is it possible?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Seanpero

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi, I’m a huge fan of Pavel work just now finishing the q&d book.
I have a question- in 6 weeks I have a 2 km running race - how should I train for it to improve my outcome without going over the lactic threshold?
Ty?

Hello,

It depends where you are already at, in terms of time. Below are a few links regarding PFT so for 2 miles, but we easily get the idea of how we can train:

2km is super short anyway.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi, I’m a huge fan of Pavel work just now finishing the q&d book.
I have a question- in 6 weeks I have a 2 km running race - how should I train for it to improve my outcome without going over the lactic threshold?
Ty?
Like @pet' said where are you now? How deep is your base? i.e. how big is your zone 1-2, because six weeks is way too short a time to build a deep base if you aren’t already there (or at least close)

And of course... what is your expected outcome of this race? Do you want a fast time? How fast?

If you want a fast competitive time then there is practically zero chance you can do that without training at your AnT for some portion of your training.

And 2k is pretty short.... ( in some circles almost a ‘sprint’)

yes I’m now reading the articles written above me - my current best is 7:49 at 2 km
I need to get under 7:30 and a personal goal is to go under 7:15
- another question that came up to me is which energy systems work in a 2km run? The cp system probably doesn’t really kick in as you never go 100 percent until the end , the glycolysis system probably help you in the first to min of the race and the rest is aerobic right?
Like it’s a 7-8 min of work hhhh so I wonder if aerobics training would be the most important work in preparation and glycolysis system work will be 1-2 times a week to get used to the acid in the muscle right?
Now it’s all speculations from me from what I know what is your take on that?

Hello,

It depends where you are already at, in terms of time. Below are a few links regarding PFT so for 2 miles, but we easily get the idea of how we can train:

2km is super short anyway.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you very much!!! Read all of it and I will try it but still didn’t understood the science behind this 2km run

You definitely could make some improvements (depending on your starting point) by doing some easy volume running and very short very intense sprints. But, 2000m run is going to have a significant glycolytic component and that's an energy system that will improve with training very quickly.

How I would program a training block with 4 days a week of running, assuming an individual with reasonable running form and who could currently run for an hour.

One week of easy running with a few strides added on at the end of each run.

Four weeks of
Session 1: 10x200m/2' Rest
This will be done a little faster than goal pace. Focus on fast turnover. Not all out pace, should finish each interval with a little in reserve. Get a good warm up.

Session 2: Easy 30-40' Run with 4-8x 20 second long "Strides"
Keep the easy miles slower than you think. Strides are easy speed work, just practice accelerating and take plenty of rest in between.

Session 3: 4x800m/4' Rest
This is going to be the most important workout of the week. Likely start a little slower than goal pace. Try to stay consistent. Do 4x800m for two weeks and then 5x800m for the last two weeks. If this workout is getting faster your 2000m pace is getting faster. Get a good warm up

Session 4: 45-60' Long Run
Keep this easy and light. No need to calculate pace or distance. Just go for 60 minutes and make the running feel as light and easy as possible.

Final week do a few easy runs with strides at the end, and two or three days before the test do 4x400m/4' rest at goal pace (do not push too hard, just practice your pacing).

This is essentially the format I followed for a 3km assessment run about 6 years back. With about a month of training I got my time down to just under 11:00 with very little running over the previous months (but a history of endurance sports, and a foundation of kettlebell training).

Last edited:
You definitely could make some improvements (depending on your starting point) by doing some easy volume running and very short very intense sprints. But, 2000m run is going to have a significant glycolytic component and that's an energy system that will improve with training very quickly.

How I would program a training block with 4 days a week of running, assuming an individual with reasonable running form and who could currently run for an hour.

Four weeks of
This will be done a little faster than goal pace. Focus on fast turnover. Not all out pace, should finish each interval with a little in reserve. Get a good warm up.

Keep the easy miles slower than you think. Strides are easy speed work, just practice accelerating and take plenty of rest in between.

This is going to be the most important workout of the week. Likely start a little slower than goal pace. Try to stay consistent. Do 4x800m for two weeks and then 5x800m for the last two weeks. If this workout is getting faster your 2000m pace is getting faster. Get a good warm up

Keep this easy and light. No need to calculate pace or distance. Just go for 60 minutes and make the running feel as light and easy as possible.

This is essentially the format I followed for a 3km assessment run about 6 years back. With about a month of training I got my time down to just under 11:00 with very little running over the previous months.
Wow!what an answer!
Really what I was looking for it is an amazing training protocol but what I was amazed by is the way you elaborated on things and the importance of each part really an awesome answer?

Since I know nothing about where you are right now I would suggest that AndyMcL is correct. My only submission is a "stepdown" approach I used with a junior high runner who trained after our varsity kids were done, he was running a 4:55 mile and wanted to improve to 4:40 in five weeks.

Week One: Andy's four-day format with a slight change; Tuesday and Thursday were the more intense days. Tuesday was mile repeats, I simply wanted him to stay relaxed and stress maintaining form. I gave him five minutes between a total of three repeats. Thursday was 4x800, if I recall it was very close to Andy's 4x800 approach.

Weeks Two and Three: Tuesday: 4x800 as like Week One Thursday. Thursday was 4-6X400 with "3-minutes go." Just another way to say three minutes rest. I was looking for when he got into lactic acid at which time I stopped him for the session.

Weeks Four and Five: Tuesday was like Thursday the week before. Thursday was repeat 200's, hopefully 8-12. Truthfully, the second week of this format I wasn't concerned with whether he got 10-12 repeats, In fact, I think I stopped him because I thought that he was looking pretty sharp.

Sadly, he ran 4:41 on the goal week. Won his race.

I told him that I would have liked to see what he would have done had I have done a better job of backing him off. He wanted to get timed a week later so we backed off a bit leading up. He ran 4:38 with a high school kid pacing him for three laps.

The other two days were much along the lines of Andy McL although I don't recall when or if there was any fartlek-type stuff once a week.

Since I know nothing about where you are right now I would suggest that AndyMcL is correct. My only submission is a "stepdown" approach I used with a junior high runner who trained after our varsity kids were done, he was running a 4:55 mile and wanted to improve to 4:40 in five weeks.

Week One: Andy's four-day format with a slight change; Tuesday and Thursday were the more intense days. Tuesday was mile repeats, I simply wanted him to stay relaxed and stress maintaining form. I gave him five minutes between a total of three repeats. Thursday was 4x800, if I recall it was very close to Andy's 4x800 approach.

Weeks Two and Three: Tuesday: 4x800 as like Week One Thursday. Thursday was 4-6X400 with "3-minutes go." Just another way to say three minutes rest. I was looking for when he got into lactic acid at which time I stopped him for the session.

Weeks Four and Five: Tuesday was like Thursday the week before. Thursday was repeat 200's, hopefully 8-12. Truthfully, the second week of this format I wasn't concerned with whether he got 10-12 repeats, In fact, I think I stopped him because I thought that he was looking pretty sharp.

Sadly, he ran 4:41 on the goal week. Won his race.

I told him that I would have liked to see what he would have done had I have done a better job of backing him off. He wanted to get timed a week later so we backed off a bit leading up. He ran 4:38 with a high school kid pacing him for three laps.

The other two days were much along the lines of Andy McL although I don't recall when or if there was any fartlek-type stuff once a week.
Wowww amazing !

Four weeks of

Final week do a few easy runs with strides at the end, and two or three days before the test do 4x400m/4' rest at goal pace (do not push too hard, just practice your pacing).

This is essentially the format I followed for a 3km assessment run about 6 years back. With about a month of training I got my time down to just under 11:00 with very little running over the previous months (but a history of endurance sports, and a foundation of kettlebell training).
Hey. This program works pretty much for every distance between 1500m-21.1km :D

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom