all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Improving Vision (Was: Pavel was right again)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisdavisjr

Level 7 Valued Member
I eat a lot of chicken and turkey. What are the side effects from this harmful behavior?

Could be exacerbating the problems arising from your wearing of eyeglasses. Don't worry! Dr. Mercola has you covered with a free ebook detailing how you can repair your own eyesight through natural means: Natural Ways to Improve Vision Without Glasses - Free Report

I'd never heard of 'eyeglass denial' before. Apparently it's a thing.

I really cannot hammer home enough how much of a shyster than man is. I'll stop before I start foaming at the mouth.

You could always go to Barnard Castle to test your eyesight?

(Sorry, a UK Brexit Covid political reference that everyone knows here at least was total bullshit. And similarly, such flagrant bollocks is ok. We are where we are.)

@Chrisdavisjr, regarding glasses and improving vision, eyes have lots of moving parts, including muscles that can be weak and/or tight. I haven’t read the article you mention but I have managed to improve my eyesight, for distance, over the years. I wear contacts or glasses still but with about half the prescription I used to need.

How much improvement is possible is going to depend on lots of things.

FWIW, my father was an optometrist who, like his son, liked to explain things, so I got to learn a fair bit about eyes and vision from him over the years.

-S-

@Chrisdavisjr, regarding glasses and improving vision, eyes have lots of moving parts, including muscles that can be weak and/or tight. I haven’t read the article you mention but I have managed to improve my eyesight, for distance, over the years. I wear contacts or glasses still but with about half the prescription I used to need.

Hmm... strength training for the eyeballs? I probably need this... My vision seems to get worse by the month.

FWIW, my father was an optometrist who, like his son, liked to explain things, so I got to learn a fair bit about eyes and vision from him over the years.

-S-
@Steve Freides , I've heard similar comments from Steve Maxwell. He has a series of eye exercises for the six muscles of the eye that he uses as part of a morning routine. Said his vision improved enough that he no longer wears glasses for distance.

Hmm... strength training for the eyeballs? I probably need this... My vision seems to get worse by the month.
It's not necessarily strength training, sometimes it's the opposite: relaxation. For me, the key was having noticed, from time to time, that when I was particularly relaxed, my distance vision was better. I don't want to even begin to talk tech about eyes here - they say a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and that's what I have about eyes, a little more knowledge than the average Joe or Jane. I will add one other point - as with strength training, a good deal of progress exists in the realm of the neurological.

I can give another personal example. There is a tendency, as we age, for people to start to favor one eye for reading and the other eye for distance. For some people, this happens quite naturally, they hardly notice, and they might end up with glasses that help them see like this, with essentially a distance vision correction lens for one eye and a near vision correction lens for the other. One can fight this tendency by simply being aware of it and doing simple things like, from time to time, making sure to look only through one eye, then only the other, then both and notice how they combine, and trying to make sure you're actually using both eyes for both close and distance seeing. This is something I practice and it has helped me.

My distance vision "aha" moment came when I was wearing my contact lens and had been using +1 reading glasses at a restaurant to look at the menu. I forgot to take them off, started driving, and noticed I saw better at distance with them than without them. Sure enough, I went to the eye doctor and found my distance vision had improved by 1 diopter in one eye and .75 diopter in the other, almost exactly, albeit coincidentally, what my reading glasses were.

Please don't assume any of this applies to anyone - best to do some investigating on your own. But I suspect that, a lot like the Buteyko breathing that I teach, there won't be much of a commercial future in the kind of vision correction described above because it would take business away from people who practice what are now the traditional, accepted ways to deal with these things.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

-S-

-S-

I have a friend who eliminated his need for glasses by doing progressive focus exercises. His correction was not that strong, but nonetheless he did improve his eyesight to the point he no longer needed glasses for driving, honestly the only individual I personally know who has done so.

I went to my Doc complaining about my vision. He said “do you have trouble seeing things close up or far away?” I replied “far away.” He calls me over to his window and asks me if I can see that yellow object in the sky. To which I said, “of course it’s the sun.” He says “just how far do you want to see...?”
(it’s funnier with a few expletives...)

I don't doubt that a proper regimen of eye care and careful application of knowledge of the workings of the eye can be used to significant effect to combat poor vision in some cases. I'm given to understand that eye exercises can be beneficial in cases where 'convergence insufficiency' (the eyes' inability to focus simultaneously on proximate objects) is responsible for difficulty in reading etc.

Claiming that wearing eyeglasses contributes to poor vision, as Mercola does, is fallacious and potentially harmful.

I probably could have chosen a better example but it seemed suitably ridiculous to suggest that wearing glasses is the last thing you want to do when you have some form of visual impairment.

On the subject of eyesight, I've been somewhat longsighted for most of my life but have only started wearing glasses within the last 5 years, although I am coming to rely on them more and more. Apparently I did well to go without them for as long as I did although I think I may have suffered a fair amount of unnecessary eye strain over the years and should probably have gotten some sooner.

I don't know what Mercola says, but there is research suggesting that, for the near-sighted, glasses can contribute to worsening vision.

This link seems to suggest that doing near work in lenses designed for distance vision is harmful, not that the wearing of glasses to correct any kind of visual impaitment is damaging. Additionally, it appears to be connected with an organisation espousing their own alternative to mainstream medicine, which they appear to see as a multi-billion dollar industry whose aims are not to provide solutions to short-sightedness but to perpetuate a 'myth' in order to keep the public buying eyeglasses they don't need.

Their disclaimer states that they are not offering any form of medical advice, merely information of scientific interest:
"... we are talking science, not medicine here,"

I don't want to entirely discredit all of the information they present on their website, but disclaimers of that nature certainly make me dubious as to the validity of their claims or the reliability of any of the information they present.

Also - and this is me just being a jerk now - they used the word 'tenant' in that article when they meant 'tenet'. That really bugs me for some reason.

Yeah, I think I have to trust my eye docs on this... Give me whatever corrective lens I need to go with my defective eyes, and I'll be fine.

I was extremely nearsighted from age 8 or 9 and worsening steadily to late teens to a -5 D, 20/400 or so in both eyes, stayed steady there, wore glasses and contact lenses to age 35 when I had LASIK to correct myopia. I was blissfully 20/20 vision with no corrective lenses for 10+ years, but then the middle-aged farsightedness started creeping in and I'm at about a +2 now. Can't really see phone or computer without some sort of reading glasses ? unless I squint really hard ? but I can still see distance well with no corrective lenses.

My prescription hasn't changed in about a decade, except to be a little less strong, so my eyes are improving or I was previously overcorrecting.

Am pretty nearsighted, but I do occasionally walk the dog etc with my glasses off just to relax and as a way to tune out and see life like an impressionist painter.

Am pretty nearsighted, but I do occasionally walk the dog etc with my glasses off just to relax and as a way to tune out and see life like an impressionist painter.

I do miss that! It was indescribably nice to take off the glasses and the world would be soft and blurry. Lights at night were the best, especially colored lights like Christmas lights. Those with good eyes will never know what it's like!

Taking off the glasses and looking close up when farsighted is similar, but only frustrating, nothing good about it really.

Claiming that wearing eyeglasses contributes to poor vision, as Mercola does, is fallacious and potentially harmful.
I didn’t read the article, but I don’t disagree with him. Maybe somebody else can give evidence to the contrary, but I’ve never seen someone prescribed and using corrective lenses get better vision over time. If anything it gets worse. And then you keep going back to the eye doctor to line their pockets. (No disrespect to eye doctors.). I was diagnosed with near sightedness as a child, but I never wore my glasses and my sight improved over time. I’ve never wore corrective lenses as an adult.

I don’t really follow Mercola, but I like the fact that he challenges many of the common beliefs that most of the public has accepted over time. Not saying he’s correct, but you may want to at least listen and test his theories before flat rejecting them.

Margaret Darst Corbin wrote a few books in the 1940’s about the Bates Method. Dr William Bates was an ophthalmologist who used relaxation exercises to restore vision issues. Of course, his ideas was never accepted by main stream ophthalmology due to its highly lucrative practice. Nevertheless, many people have claimed success using it.

I didn’t read the article, but I don’t disagree with him. Maybe somebody else can give evidence to the contrary, but I’ve never seen someone prescribed and using corrective lenses get better vision over time. If anything it gets worse.

Because that's not what glasses are for: People wear glasses to correct deficiencies in eyesight that arise over time. Your eyes will get worse with age. Glasses will help you see. Nobody said that wearing glasses would fix your eyes.

I'm all for challenging the establishment and questioning 'accepted beliefs' but I'm not okay with discouraging people from accepting scientifically-proven medical treatment in favour of unproven or even disproven remedies, whether you happen to be making millions of dollars or not.

I didn’t read the article, but I don’t disagree with him. Maybe somebody else can give evidence to the contrary, but I’ve never seen someone prescribed and using corrective lenses get better vision over time. If anything it gets worse. And then you keep going back to the eye doctor to line their pockets. (No disrespect to eye doctors.). I was diagnosed with near sightedness as a child, but I never wore my glasses and my sight improved over time. I’ve never wore corrective lenses as an adult.

I don’t really follow Mercola, but I like the fact that he challenges many of the common beliefs that most of the public has accepted over time. Not saying he’s correct, but you may want to at least listen and test his theories before flat rejecting them.

Margaret Darst Corbin wrote a few books in the 1940’s about the Bates Method. Dr William Bates was an ophthalmologist who used relaxation exercises to restore vision issues. Of course, his ideas was never accepted by main stream ophthalmology due to its highly lucrative practice. Nevertheless, many people have claimed success using it.
My older brother dropped his near sighted prescription three times using the Bates Method and Brock String Therapy. He also spent an hour a day several days a week over several months to achieve these results. For him it was part of his fitness program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom