all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Improving Vision (Was: Pavel was right again)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm all for challenging the establishment and questioning 'accepted beliefs' but I'm not okay with discouraging people from accepting scientifically-proven medical treatment in favour of unproven or even disproven remedies, whether you happen to be making millions of dollars or not.

I don't agree that all medical practice is "scientifically-proven" and that medical studies are even scientific. Medical studies are funded by people/organizations that are counting on certain result. If a particular result is obtained that isn't in the funder's best interest, then that study never gets published.

You don't have to believe me. Marcia Angell MD is a well-known, respected physician and long-time editor of the New England Journal of Medicine. She has said:

"It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine."

I'm not saying you should believe anybody. What I'm suggesting is that people should start doing some of their own research and start making their own decisions for their healthcare instead of placing all of that power on an industry that's more concerned with profitable growth than curing disease.

JMO

Sure, you should be skeptical about many aspects of medical science to some extent. You should be more skeptical about someone posting articles online claiming they have all the cures. "Doing your own research" isn't going to find you answers if no-one knows the answer, which I promise you no one does no matter how much they try and convince you otherwise. This is how we end up with anti-vaxxers, people think they are well informed but they are not.

There is a problem with negative results not been published, but if there was a study showing that exercises could be used to treat bad eyesight, they would of course be able to publish it if it was good enough. Opticians would not be able to block it believe it or not. Do these studies exist? If not then it is total fraud to sell this to people.

Glasses aren't meant to cure bad vision... they are meant to help you see.... and they definitely do that.

I don't doubt that a proper regimen of eye care and careful application of knowledge of the workings of the eye can be used to significant effect to combat poor vision in some cases. I'm given to understand that eye exercises can be beneficial in cases where 'convergence insufficiency' (the eyes' inability to focus simultaneously on proximate objects) is responsible for difficulty in reading etc.

Claiming that wearing eyeglasses contributes to poor vision, as Mercola does, is fallacious and potentially harmful.

I probably could have chosen a better example but it seemed suitably ridiculous to suggest that wearing glasses is the last thing you want to do when you have some form of visual impairment.

On the subject of eyesight, I've been somewhat longsighted for most of my life but have only started wearing glasses within the last 5 years, although I am coming to rely on them more and more. Apparently I did well to go without them for as long as I did although I think I may have suffered a fair amount of unnecessary eye strain over the years and should probably have gotten some sooner.

Agree wholeheartedly with all of the above.

As far as nearsightedness, as someone in glasses since the age of 6, with -9.75 diopter and with severe astigmatism, now in progressive lenses the last 2 years, and who cannot see my hand clearly more than 3 inches in front of my face, I would have to say I am pretty skeptical myself!

My vision stabilized by the age of 18 enough that monetary wise it finally made sense to get invest in contact lenses, alas cannot tolerate them now :( I have a new pair of glasses on order at the moment and literally will be wearing 1000.00+ $$ on my face, with all the high indexing of lenses and coatings etc that I get. I do recall getting new prescriptions 6 months to yearly through most of my childhood, with my dad jokingly asking the optomotrist if blindness was expected. I was a studious person, constantly reading/studying even outside of school hours, and doing a lot of close up stuff in that regard, who knows if that "changed the shape of the eye", but then I am only a n=1 subject in this regard though.

i thought this was an interesting article re: increased myopia rates. I was certainly outside more (as a 70's kid) although, interestingly enough with pretty much 99 percent of my extended family in glasses and some with as bad vision as mine, my teen and young adult children do not need glasses. There's always those outliers....

So sign up to the free eyesight report and receive daily bollocks from the mercola portal.

Today's featured covid masks and an offer of a supplement, a few cents off of $120. The blurb:

"The latest science reveals exciting new roles for two less known supplements, crucial to the round-the-clock workings of your mitochondria. Who would ever suspect that a valuable metabolic master switch and a component of interstellar stardust may be one of the most important combinations ever for your mitochondria health?'

A doughnut manufacturer could use the very same wording and not be wrong.

A free eyesight e-book from mercola??

Read the small print...

So sign up to the free eyesight report and receive daily bollocks from the mercola portal.

Today's featured covid masks and an offer of a supplement, a few cents off of $120. The blurb:

"The latest science reveals exciting new roles for two less known supplements, crucial to the round-the-clock workings of your mitochondria. Who would ever suspect that a valuable metabolic master switch and a component of interstellar stardust may be one of the most important combinations ever for your mitochondria health?'

Read the small print...
I can’t read the small print without my specs....

My experience is different, I know people who had improved eyesight after using corrective lens. Not sure if age had to do with it. Haven't read any studies, but guess that's worth knowing besides anecdotal evidence.

Read the small print...
Yeah, same experience for me. First e-mail I got was about not wearing masks. Unsubscribed immediately...

There are certainly ways to train your vision. My sport of baseball requires many abilities of eyesight, such as tracking, depth perception etc. I don't know if you can improve vision to reduce/remove lenses, but training to improve aspects? Possible.

My father did this. Went from needing to wear glasses whilst driving to not. As he as aged further this has reversed back but gave him a good few more years of better eyesight.

I first noticed my right eye had a bit of trouble getting a clear focus years ago. My left eye seemed to be my dominant one, and a few weeks ago I bought a left-side eye patch.

I few night of wearing it for about 15 minutes seems to have helped it a lot, FWIW.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom