all posts post new thread

Off-Topic In a Pandemic, Stay In Or Go Out?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That's an interesting perspective on things... I have been wondering if after everybody has been indoors, sanitizing everything, and wearing masks outdoors everywhere they go for a year or two, how will their immune systems stay strong enough to handle things like the common cold??

[OPINION]

For me, it's about being anti-fragile - regularly face enough of real life and you'll be better prepared for the unprepared. Trying to prepare for specific situations invariably means you won't be prepared for an unanticipated specific situation.

That said, my statements above are oversimplifications at this time because if you're not able to deal with the current unexpected, very serious and deadly thing, then you must preserve yourself in the best way you can.

[/OPINION]

-S-

Initially, stay in... I stayed in initially when the mortality rate looked like 10+%. But after a couple months, when the data came in, one must make a decision and weigh the pros and cons. Over time I became more willing to go out more and more. This is a personal decision.

I'm pretty much back to normal. I wear a mask whenever I go somewhere (private property) that requires it, out of respect, etc..., such as restaurants or grocery stores, etc...

Like many others, I imagine, I've developed my own models and regressions of local, state, and county-level covid infections/deaths etc... I sort of do this for a living so it was easy for me to apply to this pandemic. I try my best to make informed decisions which are best for me and my family.

Regards,

Eric

-S-
When I read this article I was taking a one week holiday with my family and some friends at a country house outside Buenos Aires. The house was a beautiful, magazine-like house. Plenty of space inside, comfy couch, etc. I remembered how different houses built 50 years ago were. Smaller inside, less light, not as comfortable.

That got me thinking: houses used to be for eating, sleeping, and play Monopoly after dinner, and live outside during the day. These beautiful houses nowadays are so nice inside that instead of going out we stay in and look at pictures of trees on Instagram.

Not related, but got me thinking.

My method is prudent precaution, but not fear. I wear a mask as a courtesy and kindness to others. I know it is doing little to protect me but I understand that it is possible that I could be infected but asymptomatic. So I wear it for others mostly. Also because I believe in leading by example. Not saying this is the right way but it is what I have settled on.

When I read this article I was taking a one week holiday with my family and some friends at a country house outside Buenos Aires. The house was a beautiful, magazine-like house. Plenty of space inside, comfy couch, etc. I remembered how different houses built 50 years ago were. Smaller inside, less light, not as comfortable.

That got me thinking: houses used to be for eating, sleeping, and play Monopoly after dinner, and live outside during the day. These beautiful houses nowadays are so nice inside that instead of going out we stay in and look at pictures of trees on Instagram.

Not related, but got me thinking.

Hi Oscar. I am spending 11 weeks in my 16 foot long camper with my wife. The small space is comfortable but it does encourage me to get out much more.

Hi Oscar. I am spending 11 weeks in my 16 foot long camper with my wife. The small space is comfortable but it does encourage me to get out much more.
That's awesome, it's been a while since I've done something like that. I used to vacation in my father's sailboat, which is more or less as comfortable as a camper. Not much to do inside, no internet, no tv and no phone (at that time). I had the best times of my life there.

I want to show this to my daughters, but so far haven't had the chance. They are 3 years old and 9 month old, so I have time, I guess.

Now that i think about it, some of the best times of my life were camping and living in the sailboat, with very little comfort and zero technology. Some food for thought.

I'm at upstate NY, Finger Lakes region. We currently have about .3% community spread and everywhere you go there is pretty uniform mask compliance, even in more rural areas where you might expect more pushback. This % is trending downward even as testing numbers has increased. My kids are back in school 2x/week and hopefully this will be ratcheted up as time goes on. We have had no outbreaks so far.

I wear a mask indoors in public or outside if I cannot maintain about 6ft spacing. If I am among friends/family I generally do not wear a mask. I believe the mask is currently the only proactive measure I can take and probably will be for quite some time to come. While actual efficacy can be debated based on a variety of studies, there is no doubt it helps. I made a heap of them out of old Nike Dri-fit material, they're about as comfortable as I can get em.

Life is as close to what it was as I could imagine under the conditions, we go all over the place within the state. I just got back from the Adirondacks on a camping trip with the fellas. We did not wear masks around the fire but I wore one at every stop on the Thruway. You won't get service anywhere in the state without one from what I have seen.

The mean between rashness and cowardice is courage.

"Mistakes happen some because we are afraid of what we ought not, others because not as we ought to, others because not at the time we ought to, or the like. And similarly with what is fearless.
Hence he who fears and endures the things he ought to, for the right purpose, as he ought to and at the time he ought to, as well as the one who dares accordingly, is a courageous man; for the courageous man feels and acts in as much as merit requires and reason prescribes.
On the other hand, he who exceeds in confidence about terrible things is rash. And the rash man seems also to be arrogant and some one who pretends to be brave.
Again, he who exceeds in fear is a coward; for both what he ought not and as he ought not, and all the like follow on him.
The coward and the rash man, therefore, as well as the courageous man are concerned with the same things, but they are differently disposed towards them; for the two former exceed and fall short, while the latter is moderate and as he ought to.
As we have said, then, courage is a mean concerning things that involve confidence or fear, in the circumstances we have stated."
-- Aristotle

Last edited:
I go out and walk several times a day just for the activity. I'm not and have not, been sitting around in my house losing my mind. I get plenty of exercise with plenty of vitamin D from the sun. I wear a mask when needed and around people. My wife has left our house less than a dozen times since March and has been glued to CNN like it's the only channel. I couldn't pay her to go for a walk around the area. I believe that there is a real threat, I'm just not going to let it own me, this is where MSM here in the states has people losing it.

I go out and walk several times a day just for the activity. I'm not and have not, been sitting around in my house losing my mind. I get plenty of exercise with plenty of vitamin D from the sun. I wear a mask when needed and around people. My wife has left our house less than a dozen times since March and has been glued to CNN like it's the only channel. I couldn't pay her to go for a walk around the area. I believe that there is a real threat, I'm just not going to let it own me, this is where MSM here in the states has people losing it.

I think its a regional thing. As mentioned, where I am things are almost "normal" with exception of masks. My kids are right now at music lessons, in person. Just about everything is hanging tough, no movie theaters...

I think its a regional thing. As mentioned, where I am things are almost "normal" with exception of masks. My kids are right now at music lessons, in person. Just about everything is hanging tough, no movie theaters...
Same here in SE Virginia, it’s not all that bad. 1/3 of our population is military and they are required to were a mask while out, which has helped keep things in check for the most part.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom