all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed In-Season strength loss - with better performance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
I think for the first time in my life, I've experienced an "in-season" loss of strength, but increase in performance.

For years I've played 21+ league baseball, which was mostly 2x a week through summer. Since 6 years ago or so when I really started taking strength training seriously, I've been able to be relatively consistent. I've taken 3-4 weeks off during long vacations, but never truly "stopped" strength training even during my baseball season. Because of this, I've never really felt a true drop off in strength. Sure I stabilized/platuead during baseball season, but didn't see a decrease in the weight room.

This year I've really gone hard at golf and tennis, to the tune of golf 1-2x a week and tennis 3-4x a week. At the cabin I've also been wakeboarding a bunch of times as well to go along with the other sports (PS, if you ever want to talk about glycolytic capacity - go wakeboarding. My quads were SCREAMING, but I credit Q&D, A+A programming to allow me to handle 4+ minutes straight on the wakeboard. Training does not have to match the test!!). Because of all that activity I've done about 3-4 strength training sessions in the last 3 weeks (A+A snatch w/ 20 kg, throwing in random sets of 5 of TRX pulls or power pushups)

I've definitely noticed a drop in my # of repeats before sloppiness starts to come in and I shut it down. Still getting days of 100+ reps, but with longer rests and I definitely wouldn't use the 24kg. However, in tennis my forehand is flying off the racket. My first serve has improved dramatically, although much of that is attributable to a technique adjustment I'd say. In golf, I'm getting a good 5-10 yards more off my irons than last summer, and I've had a good chunk of drives that I'm carrying 250-265+ yards, and touching 290-300 a few times.

I suppose it's true what they say! Loss of strength in season isn't really a bad thing. This experience has really highlighted the importance of getting that strength level BEFORE the season starts - and not worrying when it goes down in season. I'm interested to see how this feeling plays out the rest of summer, as I imagine I'll be getting 2 strength training days a week at the absolute most.

Anyone else who plays a seasonal sport experience this?

I’ve never played games like golf or tennis, but I suspect that some strokes have a higher technical component to them. If you are practicing them more you are getting better and more efficient, thus seeing increased performance. In many skill based activities strength can mask poor skill and even prevent one from developing it.

Totally agree on the increased proficiency, although neither of these are unfamiliar sports to me. Both sports require a high degree of technical precision.

I suppose the underlying thought I'm trying to convey is that a decrease in strength may not be a bad thing - when strength is not the focus.

Anyone else who plays a seasonal sport experience this?

My weightlifting competitions are typically in the fall or spring, with an 8-12 week prep before competition.

Typically, during competition prep, my competition lifts will go up, but my strength lifts (squats, pulls, presses) will stall or even go down.

I'm often also cutting weight during competition prep, too.

As I get older (50 now), it seems even more noticeable than before.

I suppose the underlying thought I'm trying to convey is that a decrease in strength may not be a bad thing - when strength is not the focus.

Even when strength is the focus, it's specific strength.

I have a really hard time explaining to some powerlifters (usually newbies) that being strong at the deadlift is different from being strong at a clean pull -- the tempo, positions, stance, and end range are all different.

SAID is a real thing. ;)

I agree with what you are saying but I also think it would take much longer with no strength training to have a true drop off in strength to where it was detrimental to your performance. Working with college and pro athletes in season we often only get 1 workout a week in. In my experience, this has been enough for athletes to maintain 85-90% of their max coming into the season.

Although you are not as strong as you were before your season it sounds like you have done just enough to maintain your strength to perform at a high level. The question is what’s strong enough? If your goal is to perform at a high level in something outside weightlifting sports, the weight, often times Is not as high as people would think. Dan John talks about this with his standards for throwers. Once you hit those standards your focus should be minimal effective dose to maintain them. Rest of time spent practicing.

@John sardos agreed, this is a minor snapshot. I think I'm on a good plan for maintaining that 80-90% level as you say, but time will tell.
I don't work with college/pro level guys, but I do know from my high school athletes the same applies as you mention.

In all honesty, I'm probably more than strong enough for both of those sports, at least for a competitive amateur as myself. I want to keep it that way though!

Back in my alpine skiing days I noticed something similar. Weekend warrior skier, I trained hard through the fall, not that smartly, but better than nothing. At the beginning of the season I would be strong, but my skills were rusty. By spring, my strength was down, but my snow feel and ability to get on top of the ski and drive it were much better. I never could figure out how to maintain during the season.

If only I knew then what I know now . . .

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom