all posts post new thread

Bodyweight In your opinion, what is the best bodyweight press exercise ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

For a while, I was wondering what is the "best" press exercise.

For me, this is somewhere between OAOL PU and HSPU.
HSPU put a lot of tension in arms and shoulders (above all) and a little in the core too. However, OAOL PU engage also quads, glutes and abs.

Does someone know a kind of "ratio" of body weight on arms and shoulders for theses moves ? (eg. for OAOL: 50% of bodyweight on arms (I do not know if this is a correct figure))

I find dips far esier than both of them.

Kind regards,

Pet'

You didn't include the heaviest BW press exercises - hollow back press (from elbow lever to planche to handstand) and planche pushups. Those are not achievable by most people though.
My goals for the next year are handstand pushups and dips with additional 2/3 bodyweight. I have voted for HSPU, the freestanding - shoulder stand to handstand - HSPU variation could be used in a Naked Warrior program, you can do them everywhere.

Hello,

@Jevgenij
Alright, I gonna add these moves.

They were not in the list (at the beginning), because they seem to be more "performance moves" (meaning goals) than moves you do on a daily basis such as OAOL PU and so on ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@natewhite39
I can not remove the aswers already there... :( if someone knows how to do it ?
However, I cast your vote ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

As for BW push, my vote goes to OAPU/OAOLPU, as taught in our SFB curriculum.

A hollow back press really is just an extension to the HSPU. They're sort of the same family, just one is much harder. Good luck trying to do a hollow back press without paying your dues with HSPUs.

The rest of the choices I feel are dissimilar enough for the question to make sense IMO.

Calisthenics revolves around having a really strong shoulder girdle. I think that's the key to Calisthenics. My vote goes towards the HSPU (and all its variations) because of that.

Planche work is terrific for shoulders, but it's probably a lot riskier than you'd want the best press to be.

In my opinion and just from my own experience, I think OAPUs over-emphasize the triceps and simply do not strengthen the shoulders as much as I would like them to. I used to work on them a lot, and when I started doing more handstand, planche, HSPU work etc, I realized there was very little carry-over. Nowadays I've dropped all OAPU work and just focus on Planches as my horizontal push. A bit disappointed with them but oh well.

Dips are sick. Weigh them down and they're terrific. I think these should be done as well as HSPUs for a complete bent arm pushing development. Close second I'd say.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Hello,

I consider using some Press program to improve shoulder strength in a full range of motion.

I never did weighted dips. I guess with 2/3 bodyweight it can be excellent !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I voted dip because it's so versatile to load that anyone could do it - with assistance band or belt with weight.

The push-up. The moving plank is a novice and advanced exercise. The push-up trains a basic human movement and is the beginning of a long road exercise and health for most people. I can remember doing push-ups long before I ever touched a weight.

My bias is this:

but it is not the best, as I not really believe in something attributed as "best". Just have some experience with HSPU in the last months. I did some considerable volume with almost daily practice in the last months.
For me it is easy on the joints and recovery from them is no problem.

Last edited:
My bias is this:

but it is not the best, as I not really belief in something attributed as "best". Just have some experience with HSPU in the last months. I did some considerable volume with almost daily practice in the last months.
For me it iseasy on the joints and recovery from them is no problem.

0_o wtf that was amazing. That's a pretty good level of calisthenics strength Harold. Kudos.

@Harald Motz you machine! ;) Hope you're well!

My answer: It Depends.

If you're not doing any heavy core work/big barbell lifts than the oapu/oaolpu is my answer.

If you do have a lot of core demand, I'd go with the wall HSPU as the core demand isn't as great as the oa variations.

Hello,

@Harald Motz
High level of strength and balance !

I do only 3 or 4 with a wall. If I do not have a wall I can use my head and hands as a tripod to put myself upside down, but then I am afraid to fall if I press...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Harald Motz
I have a question : I am able to do 3 or 4 HSPU in a row, using a wall to maintain my balance. Besides, I can put myself upside down using head + hands as a tripod (so, without a wall).

However, I can not do a free HSPU. I feel like I am not strong enough. Should I use more reps of wall assisted HSPU ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet', try putting less pressure on the wall, e.g., only one foot.

There are several adjustments to make in terms of where you put your hands in relation to your head, where you look, etc.

I don't know but I seem to remember some of this being taught at our bodyweight courses or certs - @Karen Smith?

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom