all posts post new thread

Bodyweight In your opinion, what is the best bodyweight press exercise ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@Steve Freides
They are not part of a structured program, as I am yet in a military kb press program. I just do it from time to time to maintain the skill.

I thank you for this advice, I will try with only one foot against the wall.

Kind regards,

Pet'

It's advised to look forward for a handstand - it help keep things lined up better. Also try a crow pose.

-S-

It's advised to look forward for a handstand - it help keep things lined up better.

Steve, can you clarify "forward"? Is it better to keep the gaze on the ground, or let the neck come in line with the spine and look out at the horizon (seeing the world upside down)?

You want some neck extension - look in the same direction as you were when you were standing, i.e., if you were facing a wall before you bent forward into your handstand, don't keep your neck neutral and look at what would be behind you if you were standing, rather look at the wall, at least somewhat.

I cannot explain why to you, except to say that this is what everyone who does these successfully does, or at least almost everyone.

The picture on the left is not usual, in my experience; the picture on the right is what seems to work best for most.

perfect-yuval-ayalon-handstand-versus-arched-handstand.jpg

@Karen Smith

@Rif

Either version is fine - no worries about loading your lumbar because it's much less load than usual and extension is less of a problem than flexion for the lumbar spine in most circumstances, anyway.

-S-

Hello,

@Harald Motz
I have a question : I am able to do 3 or 4 HSPU in a row, using a wall to maintain my balance. Besides, I can put myself upside down using head + hands as a tripod (so, without a wall).

However, I can not do a free HSPU. I feel like I am not strong enough. Should I use more reps of wall assisted HSPU ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Might not be a strength issue. How is your freestanding Handstand? As you can imagine, you have to have a solid one before you can do pushups in one

@pet' : good points from Steve above.

freestanding HSPU are both, strength and balance, oh and lots of fun. When my balance is balanced, I can get some reps in, and they feel kind of easy then.

A slight deviation of the balanced groove makes a rep considerable harder and the margin of error is very small, as there is minimal leverage, to correct the off going alignment.

questions to you:
- Can you hold a handstand for some time?
- are you afraid, to kip over (I am not, as I can land safely on my balls of the feet into a bridge position)

what may help:
- practice of the bridge(hold) (loosens up the whole body, get your wrist stretched, which is also important)
- what Steve said the crow(hold) position (from this I start each set like in the vid, I can start from an already balanced position)
- walking on hands is some kind of easier, than a ramrod straight handstandhold
- have your hand position a good bit wider than shoulder width, than your supporting base is wider, and elbow and shoulder joints have more space to move
- as I said above, have a good tactic, when kipping over
- having more pressing strength might be useful too, obviously
- do not be concerned, about closed legs at first, this comes later
- want to have a skill? then avid forum visitors know, how getting to it...

Last edited:
Hello,

First of all, thank you for all your answers ! :)

@Harald Motz
questions to you:
- Can you hold a handstand for some time?
- are you afraid, to kip over (I am not, as I can land safely on my balls of the feet into a bridge position)

When I do a wall assisted HSPU and when I am in the "up" position, I can hold for 4-5s without the wall assistance. However I need to put myself on my two hands.

I can hold more or less 30s using head + hands as a tripod, straight.

I am not afraid of falling (I did lots of judo before boxing).

Kind regards,

Pet'

The warrior pushup (OAOL) activates almost all the muscles of your body including the anti-twist ones you need for pulling OR pushing. It's amazing and until you can do it you can get almost as much benefit out of two leg one arm pushups. It's so good an exercise that when I didn't have my kettlebells for two months this summer I only mised them a lot instead of pining for them grievously.

@Steve Freides : I think the pictures you posted are extreme examples. I don't think you have to pack the neck so much, nor should you be extending it out that much. I've heard that a slight extension, just enough to see a spot right between your hands, makes balance much more attainable without messing up your alignment.

Having seen a good amount of equilibrists, it seems that's what most people do. Look slightly at the ground. Some examples from Ido and Dan/Rhi's channel:

I posted a picture of my Handstand just for the sake of discussion. That's the form I've tried to develop for some time. I still have a slight lower back arch, but I think this will get fixed after I improve my shoulder mobility just a bit more.

That said, the Handstand with the head fully packed (what Jim from Beastskills refers to as the Capoeira HS) is still a worthwhile endeavor for better control. I'm just not there yet hehe.

Attachments

• Handstand.png
    Handstand.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 16
@305pelusa, I was just happy I found them both together. :) That's a single picture I found that I posted. I'm with you 100% on this.

-S-

Thank you, @Steve Freides @pet' @305pelusa @Harald Motz - great input on Handstands!

I changed my profile pic to my current handstand... looks like from what you said that I'm OK with that form.

Today I practiced coming up into handstand from crouching... working towards coming up from Crow pose.

I really love it!!
Just wanted to add that it looks like a good Handstand from what I can gather from a distance. Good stuff Anna, congrats. It clearly shows you've put in the time.

Hello,

@305pelusa
Nice picture ! ;)
How do you "initialize" the move ? Do you do a "tripod" (crow pose) then a press ? Do you "throw" your legs ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@305pelusa
Nice picture ! ;)
How do you "initialize" the move ? Do you do a "tripod" (crow pose) then a press ? Do you "throw" your legs ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
It depends. Most of my Floor Handstand work is still with the wall. So I walk up to the wall, and slowly balance away.

However, I also practice the regular way which is the lunge-into-Handstand (what gymnasts do). It's hard though but I'm getting there.

Lastly, I do train presses. I'm only working with straight arm, straight leg presses for now though. They are much harder, but I read it's good to learn that before bent arm pressing (aka going from crow pose into Handstand) to not develop bad bent arm habits early on in your straight arm pressing.

The presses have been getting pretty good. I think I'll be posting a form check this weekend because I think I'm slowly getting to a competent one hehe.

Hello,

@305pelusa

I am eager to see ! You progress quite fast and your calisthenics move are impressive! Currently, I do the Steve’s Daily Dose Press. I add one or two HSPU ladder “far” from the wall to maintain and increase my balance. For the moment, my goal is ½ bdw press + OAC + planche. Quite a lot ah ah

Kind regards,

Pet’

Pressing forward is supposed to develop more muscles and a stronger upper body than pressing upwards, which is why I'd suspect the best bodyweight move is the one armed pushup (one legged too if possible!)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom