all posts post new thread

Bodyweight In your opinion, what is the best bodyweight press exercise ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

OAOL PU are part of my daily training. It engage a lot your core (including lats).

Pressing upwards (HSPU for e.g.) will mainly focus on shoulders and triceps.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Maybe but as Pavel points out it stresses out a few more areas so that it is not as effective.
The Best Press Exercise

The one-arm push-up seems like the logical winner. It provides the opportunity to grease the groove. It addresses a whole lot of symmetry and reflexive stability issues, which is one reason Gray Cook is a fan of The Naked Warrior. It teaches high tension skills. In addition to working the “pressing muscles,” it devastates the midsection.

The last item is an asset and a liability. When your pressing muscles get strong enough for you to knock off multiples sets of five, one-arm push-ups beat up your your abbies, glutes, and QL a lot more than your triceps. Which is why the one-arm push-up does not win this contest.

Note: If your choice of a press has to be body weight, it is a good idea to rotate one-arm push-ups and handstand push-ups every two weeks.

You want some neck extension - look in the same direction as you were when you were standing, i.e., if you were facing a wall before you bent forward into your handstand, don't keep your neck neutral and look at what would be behind you if you were standing, rather look at the wall, at least somewhat.

I cannot explain why to you, except to say that this is what everyone who does these successfully does, or at least almost everyone.

The picture on the left is not usual, in my experience; the picture on the right is what seems to work best for most.

perfect-yuval-ayalon-handstand-versus-arched-handstand.jpg

@Karen Smith

@Rif

The left picture is a gymnast handstand and the picture on the right is what most people looking like if doing a. handsand walking and b. freestanding HSPU.
However at the SFB certification, we teach you to lookin forward doing the HSPU progressions. As you advance to freestanding HSPU you body will automatically adjust as needed to counter your bodyweight in my opinion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom