all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Inadequate stretching in S+S?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Shawn Crespi

Level 5 Valued Member
I have found the stretching prescribed in S+S to be inadequate, especially with the high, daily volume. This is especially true for my shoulders and upper back, which will get really tight/uncomfortable. I added a series of stretches that reduce the tension and discomfort significantly. I realize this could be due to less than optimal technique , probably related to shoulder packing. Has anybody else had this experience?

I have found the stretching prescribed in S+S to be inadequate, especially with the high, daily volume. This is especially true for my shoulders and upper back, which will get really tight/uncomfortable. I added a series of stretches that reduce the tension and discomfort significantly. I realize this could be due to less than optimal technique , probably related to shoulder packing. Has anybody else had this experience?
Just curious which stretches did you add. Hangs from a pull up bar help me tremendously!

The S&S warmup, as written, worked for me until I was using the 28kg bell, then it didn't feel adequate. My usual routine is to do S&S around 6am in the morning, so it's chilly in my basement. However, once I started doing my goblets squats with my working bell (28kg), I found my hips were warmer, and incorporating some of these:
- kettlebell halo to lunge and rotate at the bottom
- single arm shoulder shrugs
- arm bars
- unloaded getups with a yoga block balanced on my fist
- spiral presses
- downward dog into plank

Stretching I add way more than is written in S&S. I intuitively work on tight spots without having too much structure. I also alternate headstands and hanging throughout the day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom