all posts post new thread

Barbell Increase grip strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Melvin Brandenburg

Level 3 Valued Member
I am at the point where the limiting factor in increasing deadlift weights is grip strength. How does a lifter train for grip strength? I'm already using mixed grip and I use a sumo stance. I'm at the point where grip strength fails on the third rep at 370lbs. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I used to have the same problem like 10 or more years ago.

Lots of 1 arm kettlebell swings with heavy bells build the grip. If you arent into kettlebells, there is a product called fatgripz and fatgripz extreme. They turn your barbell into a thick bar. I would add this to my workouts and it really built up my grip strength.

@Melvin Brandenburg Welcome to the SF forum! Are you using chalk? If you're not, that would make a massive difference. If you are, have you experimented with the hook grip?

Moderately heavy double overhand deadlifts/rack pulls will certainly work your grip. If you don't have access to a rack or any safe way of pulling the bar from an elevated position and your proportions allow it, you can try kneeling deadlifts, which will allow you to get used to gripping a heavy barbell without having to lift through the full range of motion or worry about dropping the bar from a greater height.

Otherwise, as @william bad butt suggest, one handed kettlebell swings will work wonders.

If you do any accessories, like shrugs, rows, the like, do you do them with straps or without?

Ed Coan liked doing single arm barbell holds for time. Like set the bar at a correct height in a rack, grip it in the middle, lift just an inch and keep there for a minute, add weight when possible.

@pet' mentioned hanging from a pull up bar, it's a good idea. For making it even more specific for your purpose I would hang from a barbell, like set your barbell on top of something where it won't fall down, but will rotate, unlike the pull up bar.

I wouldn't use the grippers for this purpose.

I've been doing a lot of grip work lately - various forms of hanging, crushers, extensors, pinching, forearm work. Haven't been doing it specifically for deadlift, but I have noticed some improvement in my deadlift grip.

I can't say exactly what might be helping, but I suspect that it's worthwhile to put some focus on improving the grip of the ring and pinkie fingers in particular. I think typically the index and middle fingers do most of the work on the bar, and allow the ring and pinkie to get lazy.

I would also argue for various bar hangs, but you could also add an isometric. Hang from the bar, actively squeeze ( "crush") the bar for about 10 seconds then relax. I usually do this with a hollow body position to get the whole body. Just an idea. Farmer walk is also good, as mentioned above.

Great suggestions already. One thing I like is to do as many of my warm ups double overhand. You'll find the point between your max double overhand and your actual working mixed grip will reduce and grip won't be as bigger of an issue. Also some double overhand back down work has helped me in the past

I used to have the same problem like 10 or more years ago.

Lots of 1 arm kettlebell swings with heavy bells build the grip. If you arent into kettlebells, there is a product called fatgripz and fatgripz extreme. They turn your barbell into a thick bar. I would add this to my workouts and it really built up my grip strength.
Thank you for the advice. I warm up with sets of 20 kettlebell snatch and 1 arm swings. I'll consider adding this to my warmup.

@Melvin Brandenburg Welcome to the SF forum! Are you using chalk? If you're not, that would make a massive difference. If you are, have you experimented with the hook grip?

Moderately heavy double overhand deadlifts/rack pulls will certainly work your grip. If you don't have access to a rack or any safe way of pulling the bar from an elevated position and your proportions allow it, you can try kneeling deadlifts, which will allow you to get used to gripping a heavy barbell without having to lift through the full range of motion or worry about dropping the bar from a greater height.

Otherwise, as @william bad butt suggest, one handed kettlebell swings will work wonders.
Excellent advice. I like that. I will work with it. Unfortunately I have Vienna sausage fingers, so hook grip doesn't work. I cant get my thumb under the fingers because they are too stubby.

If you do any accessories, like shrugs, rows, the like, do you do them with straps or without?

Ed Coan liked doing single arm barbell holds for time. Like set the bar at a correct height in a rack, grip it in the middle, lift just an inch and keep there for a minute, add weight when possible.

@pet' mentioned hanging from a pull up bar, it's a good idea. For making it even more specific for your purpose I would hang from a barbell, like set your barbell on top of something where it won't fall down, but will rotate, unlike the pull up bar.

I wouldn't use the grippers for this purpose.

Have to bump this post. Ed Coan mentioned this exercise specifically for people who have trouble with their grip during dead-lifts. If you're not already aware, Coan is widely considered the greatest power-lifter of all time.

Also, doing as much as you can double overhand with out frying your grip before mixed/hook grip lifting and farmers carries are two more things that deserve a bump. Especially single arm farmers carries because it hits the side of your body which can be a missing link for some people, and it's fantastic for grip. Perfect exercise to do with a kettlebell or bells if you wanna do some drop sets.

@Melvin Brandenburg, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

I warm up with sets of 20 kettlebell snatch and 1 arm swings.
Those are grip-intensive exercises. Save them for another day or do them after your deadlifts. A few swings or snatches would be OK, but not multiple sets of 20.

I like is to do as many of my warm ups double overhand
This is simple and easy to do - warmup with double overhand, switch to mixed grip for work sets and be sure to work both mixed grips, and doing this adds no time to your training.

-S-

I am at the point where the limiting factor in increasing deadlift weights is grip strength. How does a lifter train for grip strength? I'm already using mixed grip and I use a sumo stance. I'm at the point where grip strength fails on the third rep at 370lbs.

Types of Grip Strength

There are threes type of grip strength.

The key to improving your Deadllift Grip Strength is training the right one.

The Three Types

1) Crushing
; Used for shaking hands and crushing aluminum cans.

2) Pinching Grip: Used for pinching weight plate to put on your barbell.

3) Supporting Grip: Holding on to something for a while, like Deadlifts.

Exercise for Support Deadlift Strength Training are...

1) Hanging from a Pull Up Bar for time, as Antti mentioned.

You can increase the resistance by attaching a weighed dip belt to your waist.

2) Deadlift Holds by place loaded bar in a rack around your lockout position, pull it up and hold it for time.

You can increase the resistance by increasing the weight on the bar.

3) "Fat Bar Holds with something by attaching Fat Gripz, as William mentioned.

Wearing gloves also elicits the same effect as does wrapping something around the bar.

4) Hand Grippers: For increasing Support Grip, close the Hand Gripper and hold it for time elicits the optimal effect.

That's impressive. How long did it take reach that level?
It took me about a year of steady work. I was doing Steve Maxwell's Five Pillar Bodyweight System with Convict Conditioning grip work on the side. If I'm honest my grip was the best it ever was but it also had a detriment on my other training. Was tough on my hands and knuckles.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom