all posts post new thread

Old Forum Increase your overhead press.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
To finally press the 106, I used an exercise from Kenneth Jay's press book.  I tied a 16 kg KB to a 20 kg KB, so that the bells were 3 to 4 inches apart.  This forced me into a good groove and was considerably more difficult than pressing a single 36 kg bell.  This can be done with any weight KBs.  I don't have the book handy, but I recall that the lighter bell is the one "dangling."

Like Steve, I am a fan of double KB work.  It definitely makes me stick to better form and my body adapts to handling more weight.

V/R,

John

I've been doing 40 day program for couple times. I've been stuck with clean & press 5 x 32kg for a long time.

This time I decided to go progressively heavier repetition maxes on the heavy days (instead of 6x1 or 532) and I did military presses. So no clean, which makes it a bit harder.

At first I banged way over 10 reps with 24kg(WO1), then almost 10 reps with 28kg(WO6), and today I finally hit 5 reps with 32kg(WO10). Only the last reps were with some sidewards leaning. I missed the 36kg by a bit!

ROP definetely works, 40 day worked for me and many others too, doubles work(probably makes the platform more stable), handstand push-ups will work(especially if you have problem on the middle of the movement), Perfecting the press works(I guess its recommended if you are pretty close to ½BW press already), Beyond bodybuilding RKC ladders will work, pressing as frequently as possible while staying as fresh as possible works :D...

Great thread. Something I am working towards right now. Going to stick with improving my waiter press numbers and weight and then take a look at how i could structure some double work  based on what your guys experiences have been! Cheers :)

Rop works great, I have already gone two bells sizes up using it. I do both double and single cycles.

Nothing will get your kb press stronger than barbell military press as a second workout.As well as figuring out if your shoulders,triceps or back are the weak link.

Thanks Rif, that's interesting that the back could be the weak link in an overhead press, I would never have considered that.

Rif, how would you suggest to organize a cycle which includes KB press and barbell military press? one day of KB press volume  and one day BB MP based on intensity? or else? thanks a lot

Massimo,

cycles and programming are very individual in my experience. I like the idea of the barbell press done for lower higher intensity reps and the kbs for volume but in my experience one needs to increase loads and intensities only for 2-4 weeks at a time being followed by a back off week.

One couldn't push both the kb volume AND the barbell intensity so they would need to be alternated:
i.e wk 1 barbell press loads, kb deloads

wk 2 barbell press deloads kb deload

wk3 as week one,

wk 4 back off on both loads/intensities

Of course one could also use a "same but different" approach on the barbell day; eg

wk 1 standing barbell press close grip

wk 2 seated barbell press med grip

wk 3 standing barbell press med grip

wk 4 barbell press from a dead stop ( in a rack)

etc.

many different roads to Rome:)) The key thing is that one can, and should take advantage of the ability to use heavier absolute loads with the barbell, that will make the kb feel relatively light.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom