all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Increasing Full Range of Motion HSPU reps?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CClark2.0

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello,

I have recently achieved a full range of motion HSPU on parallettes. Was wondering what would be a good plan to help me get to 5 good reps. Right now I can only do one maybe two at best. Would gtg work when I can only do 1 or 2 reps? Or would scaling back the hspu a few steps and building reps that way 2-3 times a week work better? I have no prior injuries so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

I'll just say that I can only do 3 full range reps for an unsupported HSPU so I'm at a similar stage to you. I can do about 10 reps of HeSPU's when I use a wall for support.

I do the HeSPU's face to the wall and pull my head right back and touch the floor with my nose or chin. So I get a bit more ROM than a back to the wall HeSPU but not the full range range like you do on kettlebells or parallettes.

So I use the face to the wall HeSPU as practice in the GTG format several days a week for 4 or 5 reps and only normally do 1 or 2 sets of full ROM HSPU's on my heavy day. I really don't do a lot of the GTG work it's just enough to keep the neural habit trained, I only do 3 or 4 sets on the 4 or 5 days I GTG for that exercise. I always try to have a day or two off after my heavy day. I'm getting a bit older (47) but someone a bit younger could probably do a bit more volume than I can quite comfortably though.

I also include some 40kg kettlebell MP's which is just over half my bodyweight on my heavy day for sets of low reps (1-2). I found that once I got to a point where I could press the 40 kg again all the HSPU/HeSPU work seemed a lot easier.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation... I can do two HeSPU reps (maybe three) so today I've started GTG for the first time ever.

I eliminated all other pushing work, just doing pulling and legs every other day. How much volume do I (we) need to accumulate? If I do one reps every hour that'll probably take me to 9+ reps a day, is that enough and how long does it usually take to increase reps for something like this?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think it's relevant.

On good days, I can do wall HSPUs from a deficit. Its also a sign I need to practice them more.. Have you read Daniel Hanscom's "Chinese food for rapid pressing gains" article?

I also include some 40kg kettlebell MP's which is just over half my bodyweight on my heavy day for sets of low reps (1-2). I found that once I got to a point where I could press the 40 kg again all the HSPU/HeSPU work seemed a lot easier.

^+1000.
I also find that training HSPUs (although I do them freestanding, so there's that) is tough because I can only manage 2-3 reps tops, and it isn't very consistent. So I've supplemented with a good amount of Barbell Pressing, and found my HSPU rep max to go up with little practice honestly.
OR you could just drop the rest of pushing exercise, and concentrate/GTG this one. Not sure what's best but both are solid I think.

I would GTG a few days with current skills, or take a regression and program sets/reps into your training for safe training and keeping you injury free.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom