all posts post new thread

Barbell Increasing Grip Strength And Starting Neck Work While Running PTTP?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheEnthusiast90

Level 5 Valued Member
I have a very cheap barbell. It lacks any decent knurling, I picked it up for literally $50. I've had it for a few years. I use straps whenever I lift because the barbell isn't worth trying to grab, even with chalk coating my hands. With that being said, I'd like to increase my grip strength while increasing my lifts so I can get back to pulling without straps once I get my hands on a better barbell. Seeing as how I'm also going to be getting into Muay Thai / some kind of MMA in the near future I'd also like to get into consistently doing neck work.

Can anyone suggest a PTTP-like approach to incorporating grip and/or neck work into my training regimen? A while ago someone suggested I incorporate abdominal training somehow, so I figured adding grip/neck work wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

If you can to neck bridges, doing a set after your deadlifting 2-3 times should work well.
Tend to feel very good for the back (as well as the neck) after lifting, in fact.
If you can not to neck bridges yet, then working gradually towards them a couple of times a week is advisable.

@Don Fairbanks I have considered getting a heavy KB for the longest time, now might be the time to splurge in quarantine. I will have to see.

@Pantrolyx thank you for the suggestion. For clarity, you're recommending I do a set of 2-3 neck bridges after my workouts? Should I attempt to hold each bridge for a certain length of time?

@Don Fairbanks I have considered getting a heavy KB for the longest time, now might be the time to splurge in quarantine. I will have to see.

@Pantrolyx thank you for the suggestion. For clarity, you're recommending I do a set of 2-3 neck bridges after my workouts? Should I attempt to hold each bridge for a certain length of time?
Anytime is a good time to invest in a big bell or three.
Check out the Iron Neck that I hear Rogan talking about from time to time. Maybe put a shout out to anyone that has used one, see if they have noticed some benefits.

Actually, I meant to write 2-3 times a week.?
One set will do each time as a start. Slow, dynamic reps are excellent and will quickly provide useful strength and mobility before your neck is exposed to sports with hard contact.

@Don Fairbanks The Iron Neck looks pretty expensive but is definitely something to keep on my shopping list.

@Pantrolyx thank you for the clarification. Do you have a number of reps per set you stick to?

About 5 reps is normal in my case. I don't push my neck anywhere near exhaustion. Should feel more like a dynamic stretch than heavy strength training, IMHO.

Here are two progressive steps and some briding.

Horrible angle, I know, but at least the clip includes some metal music. :p

I hear you man. You could do carry's with a barbell, dumbbell,etc And manual resistance with a towel for the neck.

I didn't think about using a towel for neck work but that is a fantastic idea. But, the carries are out of the question unless I invest in a KB unfortunately.

I'd like to increase my grip strength while increasing my lifts so I can get back to pulling without straps once I get my hands on a better barbell.

Different Kind of Grip Strength

Below is information on the...

The 3 Types of Grip and the 8 Ways to Train Them

Types of Grip Training and When to Use Them

Grip training goes well beyond squeezing grippers or stress balls. After all, there’s more than one kind of grip strength:
  • The Crush Grip is the grip between your fingers and your palm—the one you use for shaking hands and crumpling beer cans.
  • The Pinch Grip is the grip between your fingers and your thumb. This can be further subcategorized into individual fingers + thumb grip.
  • The Support Grip is the ability to maintain a hold on something for a while—think pull ups or long and productive shopping trips.
The type of grip training you do depends completely on its applicability to what you want to accomplish.

Neck Training

The majority of lifter don't need direct neck training.

Powerlifters and Olympic Lifter have large, thick, strong necks and very few, if any perform any type of neck training,.

That because the neck is involved in the majority of exercise.,

In a well executed Bench Press, the neck is driven into the bench when lower and pressing the weight. The neck performing an Isometric.

In Pulling Movement (Olympic Pulls, Kettlebell Swings, etc the neck and traps are heavily engaged.

That in part due to the...

The Tonic Neck Reflex

Research shows the more force (Maximum Strength and Power) are produced when a Tonic Neck Reflex is employed in a movement; which engages and trains the neck, as well.

Pressing Movements: The Tonic Neck Reflex is engaged in Pressing Movement by driving the neck back, as in driving the neck into the Bench Press when lifting. When performing an Overhead Press, driving the head back as you drive the weight up engaged the Tonic Neck Reflex.

Pulling Movements; The Tonic Neck Reflex is engaged in most Pulling Movement by tucking the neck down into the chest.

Exercises like Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Curls, etc

Neck Packing

Neck Packing also ensure that you maintain a neutral spin, rather than hyper-extending it.

Dr Bret Contreras' video demonstrates "Neck Packing" for the Deadlift.

The same "Necking Protocol" applies to Back Raises and Kettlebell Swings; that because the movement patter for the Deadlift, Back Raises, and Kettlebells is virtually the same.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom