all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Increasing presses from 24 to 32 kg?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I can get a single on my strong side with the 32, but I bought a 28kg to bridge the gap. I just restarted ROP and I'm working reps with the 28 into my ladders that are mostly done with the 24. Taping a 10lb plate wouldn't have worked because I need the 24.

I didn't mind buying the 28 as it will come in useful in other programs as well. One short term goal is some double KB work with 28s (double 32s seems so far away)- so it's not as if I bought it just solely to be able to press the 32.

I agree with handling the 32 for whatever you can. It seemed impossibly heavy and even intimidating when I first got it. But get ups and swings that felt very heavy at first were no big deal after a few weeks.

I agree with handling the 32 for whatever you can. It seemed impossibly heavy and even intimidating when I first got it. But get ups and swings that felt very heavy at first were no big deal after a few weeks.

I remember taking my 32 out of the packaging. Really I just cut the plastic banding and it flopped out of the remains of the cardboard. Initially I bought it for rows and BnP.

Dialing it in for pressing I cannot add anything to all the good suggestions given. It is important to be comfortable cleaning the thing and holding it in the rack.

Really good stuff on this thread so far. A few things that have helped me and the people I work with:

1. Heavy loaded cleans plus hold (confidence)
2. Set amplifiers such as extended sets and pump reps with a bell you are comfortable with
3. Slow negatives
4. Inclined push ups or handstand push ups. Don't forget about bodyweight training for the reverse muscle action!

@Kyle Kowalczuk

Interesting--I have a few questions, please.

-For heavy loaded cleans, would you recommend them if you can't actually clean the bell one handed? That's where I'm at with the 40K, though I can TGU it with relative ease.
-"Set amplifiers such as extended sets and pump rep" : what are these? I guess the first is simply more reps, but I've never heard of the second

@Kyle Kowalczuk

Interesting--I have a few questions, please.

-For heavy loaded cleans, would you recommend them if you can't actually clean the bell one handed? That's where I'm at with the 40K, though I can TGU it with relative ease.
-"Set amplifiers such as extended sets and pump rep" : what are these? I guess the first is simply more reps, but I've never heard of the second

Great questions.

- Extended sets would be like drop sets. Use a moderate bell for like 8-10 reps, immediately a lighter bell for another 8-10 reps.
- Pump reps would be using a bell you can press many times but making each single rep more difficult by various means. My favorite way would be to hold a moderate bell in the front rack and press it 1/4 way up, then back to rack. Then press it 1/2 way then back to rack. Then 3/4 way then back to rack. Then fully press. Thats one. Bottoms up and waiters presses are another way like they mentioned earlier in the thread.

It is perfectly fine to do an assisted clean for a bell that you cannot yet press. As long as the elbow is inside, wrist is straight and you aren't leaking any air while holding the rack. (nice and tight)

Last edited:
Oh, rapture! I finally pressed my 32-kg kettlebell with each arm! The air is sweeter, the sky is brighter, the birds are singing!... :p

On a more serious note, I really did perform a strict military press of my new 32 with each arm for the first time today. And it really does feel good. Thanks for all the tips, everyone.

Just curious

Are you aware about the other types of rep schemes for ladders?

i.e. 2,3,4

Going up one size for one rung then using your previous bell for the other rungs???
I definitely like this approach. I can actually get a single out of my 32 without sacrificing form. I have turned my light day into 5 ladders of singles with my 32 and have put them into the first rungs of my medium and heavy ladders. I haven't missed a rep yet, and my 2 and 3 rungs with the 24 shoot up like a rocket (in my head). They feel powerful, but not necessarily easy.

@Mark Limbaga I'm going to take this approach once I am hitting 5 ladders with 5 rungs with the 32 to really ensure I will have the base for a 40. OK, and this prolongs the time I will need to save up to get the 40. But this is way, way down the road for me still. Still have my first 5 ladders with 4 rungs with the 24 tomorrow. Not trying to rush it either. Just really enjoying ROP for all it's worth.

I definitely like this approach. I can actually get a single out of my 32 without sacrificing form. I have turned my light day into 5 ladders of singles with my 32 and have put them into the first rungs of my medium and heavy ladders. I haven't missed a rep yet, and my 2 and 3 rungs with the 24 shoot up like a rocket (in my head). They feel powerful, but not necessarily easy.

@Mark Limbaga I'm going to take this approach once I am hitting 5 ladders with 5 rungs with the 32 to really ensure I will have the base for a 40. OK, and this prolongs the time I will need to save up to get the 40. But this is way, way down the road for me still. Still have my first 5 ladders with 4 rungs with the 24 tomorrow. Not trying to rush it either. Just really enjoying ROP for all it's worth.

Many thanks for bumping this thread. All the advise here is pure gold!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom