all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Increasing reps on OAPU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey Folks,

so for the last 3 weeks I have been doing a NW GTG style training for OAPU and pistols. I train 6x/week doing 5-10 sets with 1-3reps per set. Since GTG troughout the day is impractical for me I just do one session. I also included some assistance work

Mo
NW + pike push ups + hanging leg raise

Tu
NW + one arm swings

We
NW + pull up + kettlebell hack squat

Thu
Start over at Mo

Su
Off

I made some good progress on the OAPU. Going from 0x OAPU on the floor to 20x1 in 40mins (1 rep every 2 mins) and 6x2.
I vary the intensity every session . So one session I would go for pure OAPU on the floor, the other onto an 45cm elevation (very light) or a 22cm elevation (medium).

However, I do not know how to progress from here. I can't seem to get mire than 2 reps in a row. Should I still use the NW approach or might there be a better option.
I would like to be able to do 5x5 strict, perfect OAPU.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Thank you, sounds reasonable.

Once I can do 3...would the fighter pull up program for 3RM also work with OAPU?

Hello,

Once I can do 3...would the fighter pull up program for 3RM also work with OAPU?
> OAOL PU will work on lats / core + pecs + shoulders + triceps (for the "up" phase)
> Pull up will work on lats / core + upper pecs + shoulders + biceps (for the "up" phase).

Then yes it can be a pretty nice combination to avoid arm / shoulder strength imbalance ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Sorry, I put it wrong. I don't mean combining OAPU with the Fighter Pull Up Program, but rather using the progression scheme outlined im the 3RM program and applying those to OAPU once I can do 3 reps of those

Hello,

@Marc
It could be an interesting idea. I did not try it though. FPP principle implies lots of volume.

You could give a try to see how it goes and if it does not burn you out. If that is ok, go for it. Otherwise, I would go for something like a S&T progression scheme, which is less taxing.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Wow, the S&T Program looks really cool. I will def imcorporate it for OAPU 3-4x/week.
Thought about doing it like this:

Stregth: 3-4x/week

OAPU (S&T style)
Pistol
Pike push up (between paralletts)
Pull ups
Kettlebell hack squats
Hanging leg raise

Conditioning: 2x/week

Swimgs (get in 100)
Crawling

Does that sound good?

Hello,

@Marc
Sounds good to me.

If you are tired some days, you can reduce one of your arm move.

Due to the pike push ups, PU and HLR, you can also add some arm bar to stretch your shoulder a little.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Just read the newest article about the arm bars. Seems very reasonable. I will def incorporate them into my prehab.

Just one more thing: since I can already do 20x1, could I just start with 3x2?

Hello,

Just one more thing: since I can already do 20x1, could I just start with 3x2?
IMO yes.

You can work on changing the work to rest ratio and targetting 1:1 or less for instance, in function of your state

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks a lot. And also thnaks for pointing me to S&T.
Once I am trough with it I think I will apply the Fighter Pull Up Program principles to OAPU and see how it works ;)

Hello,

@Marc
You are welcome !

FPP applied to OA PU can be a good idea if you can handle the volume.

Because you can currently do 3 * 2, I guess in a short while (between now and when you will start FPP) you will get 3 * 3. Then, you will be able to start FPP with the 3RM part, before moving up to the 5 RM part.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks a lot. And also thnaks for pointing me to S&T.
Once I am trough with it I think I will apply the Fighter Pull Up Program principles to OAPU and see how it works ;)

Marc -
I am not sure that the Fighter Pullup program example would be the best for your OAOLPU but you could try it and see. My thoughts are that you will fry your nervous system quickly and may even set yourself back.
I would work the OAOLPU - 3 x week varying the load via elevations and reps and sets.
I have a new SFB article that should be completed soon and it is a program for the OAOLPU and might be exactly what you are looking for or something similar. Also if you can get 20 x 1 but not getting 2 very often, it could be something with your technique. I would be happy to assess if you email me a video Karen.smith@strongfirst.com subject: Assessment from forum for OAOLPU.

Hello,

If you have a proper technique, maybe some GTG for the next weeks will build your 2 reps in a row. Then, you'd go for your plan. Nonetheless, I said in post #14, stop as soon as you are not able to sustain the volume anymore.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My thoughts are that you will fry your nervous system quickly and may even set yourself back.

Heed Ms. Smith's advice on this one--it's a lesson I learned the hard way long ago, so hopefully no one else has to...

Five or six years back now, I had trained for a while using a "bodyweight Bear" protocol when there were some grumblings about the notion on another forum. That is, the classic get-massive programming from Power To The People!, but the approach was to use difficult calisthenic maneuvers in the place of barbell deadlifts. I was intrigued by this, and my approach was strict one-arm pushups (starting with triples on each side, so six per set) with about 90 seconds rest in between for as many rounds as I could manage with proper form.

I can no longer recall exactly just how far I got with this--at least a few weeks, and my sets eventually entered the mid-teens somewhere, but I discovered that my biggest takeaway from it all was a splitting persistent headache on pressing days (for whatever reasons, handstand pushups never gave me the same misery while I was Bear-izing them--go figure).

In any case, with whatever approach you use, proceed with caution, and never be too proud to dial back if you feel them splitting your skull apart.

Hello,

Lots of people who have used FPP report a significant volume. Then, I guess this is possible to follow it, buy by managing some rest which are not necessarily in the initial program.

However, trying to see is always a good idea. Indeed, it will show you the volume you can handle and can serve you well for further programs.

@J Petersen
What is the Bodyweight Bear ? A push / pull + lower body program ? Could you please explain me (even if very shortly to avoid getting out of the OP) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Thanks again guys!

@Karen Smith: good to hear about the article. I am looking forward to reading it. And thank you very much for your kind offer to assess my technique!

@J Petersen: I'd also be interested to hear what a bodyweight bear is

Last edited:
The FPP seems to be not optimal for OAPU. I will follow the S&T approach first and hopefully get to 6x3

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom