all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Increasing Weight for Military Press Without Buying More Kettlebells?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

yankovai

First Post
Say I own both 32kg and 44kg kettlebells. I'm able to do 7 reps of the military press with the 32kg kettlebell and 0 reps using the 44kg bell. Without purchasing any new kettlebells, what's a strategy for getting that elusive rep of the military press using the 44kg kettlebell? Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Say I own both 32kg and 44kg kettlebells. I'm able to do 7 reps of the military press with the 32kg kettlebell and 0 reps using the 44kg bell. Without purchasing any new kettlebells, what's a strategy for getting that elusive rep of the military press using the 44kg kettlebell? Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!
I would start reducing rest times when pressing the 32kg. On my off or variety days I would incorporate the 44kg in different positions. Specifically, the kettlebells clean or rack carry, turkish get up or overhead walk and the farmers or suitcase carry.

I've seen videos of people attaching ankle weights to the handles of the bells for a bit more resistance. Something to consider. Also density type training, same weight and reps with decreased rest.

Without purchasing any new kettlebells, what's a strategy for getting that elusive rep of the military press using the 44kg kettlebell?
Perform the push press with the 32 so you can get your volume up. It's important to remember that the "building strength" part of the lift happens during the eccentric phase. So, use your legs to boost the bell up (concentric) and then focus on "pulling" the bell down (eccentric) with your lat. Over time and with enough volume you will get stronger and progress to the next size bell.

Last edited:
Other options..

Start working on your one arm (one leg pushup)

Work on your handstand pushups

Pavel wrote "Enter the Kettlebell! Special Report #1" precisely for this purpose. There is a free pdf copy floating somewhere online.

If you can't locate it, the prescription is a combination of:

a) With the bell you can press: One legged presses and bottoms up presses
b) With the next bell: Deep push presses, yielding negative presses and floor presses

I wonder why bent presses with the heavy bell were not part of the prescription!

I had success in the past with long cycle clean and jerks as a prep for pressing heavy.

To be honest I think 12kg is a big jump! I've worked with all the 'traditional' KB's (16kg, 24kg, 32kg, 40kg, 48kg), which were 8kg jumps and those transitions were already pretty hard! Bodyweight work like HSPU and OA push ups didn't have a great carryover to my kb pressing, but maybe I haven't done them consistently enough to reap their benefits. There are others who fared great on them, so it might be your best option!

Work up to 20 reps of military press per arm with 32 kg bell while doing cleans, jerks and push presses with 44 kg bell in the meantime.
Once in the while test your press with 44 kg bell. The full 20 reps might not be even necessary to achieve your goal but once your are there
the 44 will fly up.

edit: and lets not forget bottom up presses, mix them in, too.

Last edited:
Work up to 20 reps of military press per arm with 32 kg bell while doing cleans, jerks and push presses with 44 kg bell in the meantime.
Once in the while test your press with 44 kg bell. The full 20 reps might not be even necessary to achieve your goal but once your are there
the 44 will fly up.
That's interesting! Have you worked up to sets of 20 yourself @Mirek ?

That's interesting! Have you worked up to sets of 20 yourself @Mirek ?
I did not have to cos I have bells with 8 kg weight jumps but as a fun challenge I sometimes tried as many reps as possible
but then again not as a part of regular my training.

Last edited:
The first order of business would be to get used to the heavier weight doing other things. Cleans, jerks and/or pushpresses with a hold overhead and/or a walk with the weight overhead. Eventually, the yielding press - put the weight overhead, and work on lowering under complete control.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom