all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Incresing max for weighted pullups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fredrik

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone

I am working on weighted pullups (overhand grip) with the goal of doing 3 reps with 40kg of added weight. My current one rep max is with 30kg added weight. I am working on 5-3 reps x 5-6 sets with an 18kg kettlebell at the moment. Anyone that have made this journey already? Any good tips for progressing towards my goal and how to break plateaus would be much appreciated.

A grease the groove approach with about 6-10 sets throughout the day has given me great progress in pull ups. Weighted and bodyweight. If you are using sub maximal weight, it looks like you are, then I would go in the 5-8 rep range throughout the day. Also, don't forget to build the 1 rm with heavy singles. This will make the 3 reps go up as well. Dead hanging for periods of time, up to 7 min broken up for most, and bent arm hangs are beneficial as well.

The fighter pull up program might be something to try, a little bit like greasing the grove. I wil give it a go and see what happens.

Hello,

@Fredrik
Depending on what your routine is, most people report good result using FPP 3x a week.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Here is another option described in a thread I started a few years ago. Pavel's article used a special operator seeking to increase his weighted pull-ups as an illustrative example. The article is available on Amazon and worthy the read. I went through a few iterations. Worked for me.
Ladders Reloaded

I perfer the Reload approach. I make the good progress with dips (at the 7th week i did 2 reps with extra 60 kg, at 75 kg; i did not test the 1RM). I believe that you can get stronger at pull up using that template too.

I think it was @offwidth who mentioned Steve House's "special max strength plan" from Training for the New Alpinism. It involves 1-4 sets of 1-3 reps, weighted to a safe RM, with ample rest. Training 1 or 2 times a week this took me from a 1RM of 32kg to 40kg in about a month. I haven't tested 1RM in several weeks but 32kg is my recent 2RM now.

Weighted pull-ups seem to respond well to heavy low rep training, and there only seems to be partial carryover between 1RM and max BW reps... each is good for a change or getting over a plateau but they don't necessarily increase in tandem.

I think it was @offwidth who mentioned Steve House's "special max strength plan" from Training for the New Alpinism. It involves 1-4 sets of 1-3 reps, weighted to a safe RM, with ample rest. Training 1 or 2 times a week this took me from a 1RM of 32kg to 40kg in about a month. I haven't tested 1RM in several weeks but 32kg is my recent 2RM now.

Weighted pull-ups seem to respond well to heavy low rep training, and there only seems to be partial carryover between 1RM and max BW reps... each is good for a change or getting over a plateau but they don't necessarily increase in tandem.
It's a good template, and one that I've enjoyed. House and Johnston state that they have seen people make big jumps in their b/w numbers after following it, but I've never experienced that myself, and have been meaning to ask them more about it.

Hello,

@Fredrik
Depending on what your routine is, most people report good result using FPP 3x a week.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Maybe an option for when time is limited, as it frequently are. How would this work? How would the progressions go? Same reps and sets? When does the sets go up if so?

Hello,

@Fredrik
It would work the exact same way. You follow the same reps and sets. Basically, it just gives your more time to recover. At the beginning, most of the time, this is ok. Nonetheless, after a few, it generally starts to get harder.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@offwidth
Then, did you notice a difference in your grip or your 1RM for instance ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
1RM yes, grip... it's hard to say, as I do a fair bit of grip work anyways...
And my b/w reps did go up by a few, just not a 'significant' amount...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom