all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Indian Clubs

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

KIWI5

Level 4 Valued Member
Now this training form looks amazing- what weights are people using? I am looking at getting a pair for mobility training and it might be great for active rest while doing S&S. I can swing a 24kg and am getting there with the 16kg for the TGU...I'm tempted to go with a pair of 2lb Indian Clubs instead of the 1Lb, just in case the 1lbs are 'too light'. Anyone using clubs??

Now this training form looks amazing- what weights are people using? I am looking at getting a pair for mobility training and it might be great for active rest while doing S&S. I can swing a 24kg and am getting there with the 16kg for the TGU...I'm tempted to go with a pair of 2lb Indian Clubs instead of the 1Lb, just in case the 1lbs are 'too light'. Anyone using clubs??

I can't get my hands on clubs so I use beer bottles for now (~3/5 lbs) and planning on making some DIY clubs next week. Keep with 1 lbs. IMO there's no need for higher weight for mobility and motor control work. The clubs are tools to enhance body awareness and perception and to guide your movement. Using 2 lbs. clubs out of the gate is kind of like using 24kg for your first ever get-up

Beer bottles?? My mind is racing thought the different shaped beer bottles available over here, it will have to be 500ml and have a long neck I reckon. I have looked at Amazon and they have some very well reviewed polycarbonate ones that are US39$.....I am very interested in your DIY project. The shape/balance of the Indian Clubs is very interesting, especially that thin handle with bulb at end.

1 lb are best for almost all applications and especially for starting out.

On the other end of the club spectrum - does training with 6Kg and higher offer muscular adaption that kettlebells cannot?

Why not Clubbell(s) instead.

Buy a pair of 10Lb or a single 20Lb and do two hands exercises until strong enough to do one hand exercises.
They are very different in use than kettlebells, and personally I use mine on and off.
They are just another tool in the box.

Clubbells

I have used home made clubs , basically a kids plastic bat filled with sand to just shy of the weight needed then filled up with expanding foam sealant .
Not as good as wooden clubs but cheaper and if I drop them or crash them together they're a bit safer for a clumsy beggar like me : )

I would agree that 1 Lbs are a great place to start. I've had my 1 Lbs clubs for a few years now and they are perfect. As all my other loads are increasing, keeping the club weights the same have been nice. Actually I just weighed mine and they are 0.8 Lbs but they are still a great weight that make my shoulders and brain happy.

I think Grey Cook said something like "asking how heavy should my clubs be, is like asking how heavy should my skipping rope be"?

I also just bought a 5 Lbs club and it is a different animal entirely.

If your goal is mobility and recovery, I'd say stick with the 1 Lbs.

2 lb. clubs are also OK, IMHO. When I took the workshop, I found myself tight enough in some ways that a 2 lb. club helped stretch me out better than a 1 lb. The choice of the heavier weight met with the approval of all the instructors.

-S-

I use 2kg (around 4 lbs) clubs as a warming up after OS Resets and before S&S. I follow the Introduction to Indian Clubs online course from FMS.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom