all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Indian Clubs

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adam R Mundorf

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone here have experience/opinions on the use of Indian Clubs? I was going to buy a pair of 2 pounders but I wanted to get some input.

What attracted me originally is that they look fantastic for mobility work.

Thank you, Adam

Last edited:
Good tool, fun to use.
I think @Harald Motz has been using them a lot.

If you cannot access to someone to teach you (always the best option), you can have a good start with the Indian club online course from the FMS. It is not pricy and covers the basics. You may know the teacher, too. :)

1 lb is usually recommended, though 2 lb are also used. It's light work -- repetition, precision, movement. I wouldn't say they're great for mobility; maybe practicing precision within the movement patterns you already can access. But I probably never did them enough to know.

Here's someone who provides distance coaching, Peter Wolf, SFG2, SFB:
Personal Training
Peter Wolf (@roguewolftraining) • Instagram photos and videos

From his web site:
"Indian clubs are tremendously versatile and fun tools to build strength, coordination, symmetry and speed. In this user course, you’ll learn how to safely add Indian clubs to your training or practice. Bridge the gap from shoulder rehab to performance, or “prehab” to prevent injuries from happening. Suitable for all fitness levels- from fitness enthusiasts to fitness professionals."

I attended SFB with Peter and I can tell you he's an excellent instructor.

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone here have experience/opinions on the use of Indian Clubs? I was going to buy a pair of 2 pounders but I wanted to get some input.

What attracted me originally is that they look fantastic for mobility work.

Thank you, Adam
Adam, I have a nice set of antique wooden 2 lb ones and used them for warmups for some months, they're good.. but since starting mace work I don't do them as much, mace seems to warm up and mobilize my shoulders very well, especially before a snatch session.

I'd also recommend the Indian clubs online course by FMS, like Jef mentioned above.

I have been swinging clubs for 6 months and use them as part of my warm up before every workout. Nothing makes my shoulders feel better than a few minutes of swinging.

Learning the classical patterns took me a good while (weeks), but it was worth the effort.

I would start with 1lb clubs to learn the patterns without wearing yourself out. I have both 1 and 2 lb clubs. Being of "average" strength, I find the 2lb clubs challenging to swing for more than a couple of minutes.

For just trying out the movements a simple baseball bat, or two, will do.

Any good sources for inexpensive clubs to try it out? Seems like I always find expensive hardwood pretty ones.

Kid's bats from Dollar store. Drill a hole into the bottom of the handle and fill with some play sand. Fill the rest of the bat with expanding foam sealant. Put a finishing cap over the hole to make it pretty (optional). Total cost about $7 for the pair.

Even simpler version is 12 inch lengths of 1 inch diameter PVC pipe, filled all the way with sand and capped at both ends. These are of course even in their weight distribution and not top heavy like a bat. Adding a PVC clean out to the top would make them more clublike.

I have bought some new black plastic 1lb clubs from Ebay for about $25 shipped. They are fine.

Attachments

• 20200108_140537.jpg
    20200108_140537.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 5
Recent discovery: I got the FMS club course as suggested in this thread a few months back, and have gradually been making my way through it. Just got to the 'correctives' part towards the end, and can't figure out why they don't open with these, instead of burying them at the end!

I am looking to become educated so that I can bring this knowledge to our older LE at the office. The course that you all would recommend above all? I would also like to learn mace. I am looking at the water bottle handles until I get some turned on a lathe. clubs are fairly pricey.

Just discovered a nice pair of wooden Indian clubs in my garage! Twelve inches long and weighing 1 lb each. Something my wife found once in a garage sale and stowed away in a dead corner. Someone had them converted into awkward candlesticks, or maybe that's what they really are. No matter... they are very functional as clubs.

It's been 4 years since my dear wife passed away and somehow she found a way to gift them to me this afternoon!

Indian Clubs.jpg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom