all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Inflexible toes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
I don't have primate toes. Voluntarily, I can move my toes (especially the big toe on each foot) up or down only a few millimeters. Involuntarily, only a few millimeters more.

This has seldom been a problem, except that now that I have discovered kettlebells and am learning the Simple & Sinister program, I have a hard time doing Get-Ups from the lunge position to the standing position because of the tremendous forces my 250-lb frame puts on my 53-year-old big toe (it hurts).

What can I do to make my toes more flexible? Am I stuck with un-bendy toes or is there hope for me? :)

(By the way, I found this forum just today and am looking forward to learning from it. Thanks.)

Last edited:
@Smile-n-Nod, welcome to the forum!

I am sure someone else will have a more informed answer, but I think improvement is possible, yes. Keep gently encouraging more range of motion, and work on your feet on massage balls or tennis balls. This will help loosen the fascia which keeps them tight. For now, you might want to wear shoes that are a little less flexible in the sole during your get-ups to reduce the pressure on the big toe. Also make sure you are using BOTH legs to stand, not all the weight on the front or the back leg.

There is lots to learn here... have a read through some of the past threads, and let us know if we can help!

Recommend walking on the beach or sand/mud barefoot.

I was unable to sit on my toe balls and over a two year period of a short daily bending the toes backwards in front of the TV I can now sit on the tow balls. Never needed to do it through pain.

2 millimeters can be increased to 3, 3 increased to 4 ...

@Smile-n-Nod I am the proud owner of the same problem. Mine are old turf toe injuries from too many hill sprints. When I do getups I stay on the back of my foot. Not a problem at all, passed my SFG doing it like that.

I don't have primate toes. Voluntarily, I can move my toes (especially the big toe on each foot) up or down only a few millimeters. Involuntarily, only a few millimeters more.

This has seldom been a problem, except that now that I have discovered kettlebells and am learning the Simply & Sinister program, I have a hard time doing Get-Ups from the lunge position to the standing position because of the tremendous forces my 250-lb frame puts on my 53-year-old big toe (it hurts).

What can I do to make my toes more flexible? Am I stuck with un-bendy toes or is there hope for me? :)

I am not a doctor but it sounds like the same thing, hallux limitus, I have in my right foot. Some days it is worse than others. Hallux Limitus — Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment

Three weeks after starting S&S I noted "Last night I felt rooted to the floor. Today when I got up I realized my toes had extended and I had sensations on the bottom of them. I think this the result of swings working them straight." in my training log. You might also discover this as you progress.

Hi @Smile-n-Nod , Welcome!

@Anna C and @Henningb suggestions are good. Walking in sand / mud is especially is a great way to restore your feet and ankles (and hip and...). I also encourage you to walk barefoot as much as you can (including switching to "barefoot" shoes).

I would also suggest to check out some OS rocking

Hello,

@Smile-n-Nod
I would progressively do two exercises (but I precise I am not a physio)
=> while standing straight, slowly lift up on my toes. As long as you feel a slight pain, you stop lifting. You maintain your position 15-20s. You repeat that 4 or 5 times. You will progressively increase your ROM.
=> This exercise can be done while standing or sitting. With a cylinder (broom stick, etc...) or a little ball (tennis, golf), you wrap your toes around the ball or the cylinder. As soon as it "hurts", you stop the move and maintain 15-20 (as previously). You repeat 4 to 5 times.

This exercises work flexibility upwards and downwards.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Maybe when he gets back to us we'll know a bit more.

A 250 lb 53yo man would almost be in the perfect demographic for gout & the big toe is notorious for early onset gout symptoms.

A 250 lb 53yo man would almost be in the perfect demographic for gout & the big toe is notorious for early onset gout symptoms.

My toes have been inflexible since I was a teenager and first noticed it. I don't think it's gout. There's no pain involved (except during get-ups, and that pain is mainly from the pressure pushing down on the big toe because the toe doesn't bend upward very much).

My arms don't straighten completely, either; my elbows lock about 10 degrees short of 180. I've been studying martial arts for about three years, but I have a hard time doing side-kicks or round kicks above my waist, even with a lot of stretching. My body is naturally not very flexible. My toes aren't, either.

I suffer from gout. It has made serious stretching of the big toe of my right foot pretty much impossible. I'm not certain how much of the pain is acute symptoms or permanent degeneration.

I think that the best way to do get-ups is to use the toes. The same applies to other movements where the toes can be used. That said, I have to adapt. I think I'm doing fine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom