all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Possession by AS Byatt is a book that stayed with me for a long time, I still try and force it on people.

When the Sacred Ginmill Closes by Lawrence Block

On a lighter note Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman is hands down the best superhero book ever written

Built to Last - Jim Collins
The Black Swan - Nassim Nichols Taleb
Born In Blood - John Robinson
Purposeful Primitive - Marty Gallagher

Just a few that I've enjoyed in no order of preference and for reasons too numerous to mention -

The Art of War - Sun Tzu
The Hagakure - Samarai Handbook
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Angry White Pyjamas - Robert Twigger
Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi

reading to me is a double edged sword. It is informative, immersing, entertaining...but also passive, time consuming, forgettable oh and not to mention, that the common posture in which it is done, is in our "modern time" the new smoking as some say.

Reading alternating with some lifting & locomotion eating & drinking tea & going to the rest room can make my day to have a nice sleep.

When it comes to influence...than Pavel's and Al Ciampa's writing and some Zen literature has it on me, as they lay out the attitude and mindset to work on a daily basis.

And I do not want to forget one book, which is written and red on a daily basis by many ladies and gentlemen and sometimes by me too is called "StrongFirstForum"
I agree. I've tended to overvalue it at the expense of exercise and direct, real experience of things. However, it contains a lot of wisdom and word-smithing skill which are both terrifically useful in real life.

Another book that's really interesting is Spencer's "Faerie Queene"; I just re-started it recently and I'm quite enthralled. It's a fantasy epic written 500 years ago when fantasy stuff was real day to day life stuff and not just imaginary - there really were knights and wizards back then!

Just a few that I've enjoyed in no order of preference and for reasons too numerous to mention -

The Art of War - Sun Tzu
The Hagakure - Samarai Handbook
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Angry White Pyjamas - Robert Twigger
Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi
I strongly then suggest Confucius' "Analects" to you, and if you have time, "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" - which are both East Asia's key wisdom texts.

I strongly then suggest Confucius' "Analects" to you, and if you have time, "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" - which are both East Asia's key wisdom texts.
Thank you - maybe some holiday reading for me :)

"Gaia'sGarden" by Toby Hemenway. It's a fairly accessible intro to permaculture. Definitely influenced the way I manage my little bit of land, and inspired me to start raising my own chickens, which has not only provided eggs and a little meat, but also helped my garden a lot. (And that's a tiny hint as to what permaculture can be!)

Last edited:
Hello,

"On the firmness of the wise person" and "On tranquility of mind" of Seneca.

These books teach us that remaining stoical and calm always help us to think wisely to make the good decision. A rational mind help against randomness. It permits to first observe, then make a decision, then improve.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

"On the firmness of the wise person" and "On tranquility of mind" of Seneca.

These books teach us that remaining stoical and calm always help us to think wisely to make the good decision. A rational mind help against randomness. It permits to first observe, then make a decision, then improve.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I've read "Historia Francorum" By Gregory of Tours by the way. :)
Also, "Chanson de Roland" and something else I forget the title of written by a cavalryman in 9th Century France about fighting in Spain.

I've got Seigneur Des Anneaux on my shelf to read too.

Hello,

Two of Madame's favorites !

Very good choice ;)

If you apreciated the "world" of "Chanson de Roland", you may appreciate "Knight of the Round Table" too ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Well, hahaha, I'm "English" (Canadian anglophone) so being a reader of course I've read lots of King Arthur stuff. Hahaha. Actually, right now I'm reading "Faerie Queene" by Edmund Spenser - a fantasy story set in King Arthur's time.

Who is "Madame"? I don't understand who you mean - your wife perhaps?

Canada's #1 hero is Samuel de Champlain by the way, a French guy from 400 years ago. He set the country up initially and our country is still very much imprinted with his values and visions: e.g. multicultural, multireligious, Aboriginal and Settler mixed "race", bilingual (he spoke very good English and Spanish too besides French.) I read a huge book in French about him last year, which was super interesting, called "Le Reve de Champlain".

Hello,

Who is "Madame"? I don't understand who you mean - your wife perhaps?
"Madame" is my girlfriend...even if we are a couple for 9 years.

Another great book, from a French author called Alexandre Duma (father) is "The 3 musketeer". It is about the story of 3 musketeer, during Louis XIII reign. These 3 people are loyal to their king and build a very strong "team spirit" even if they have very different personalities.

Shakespeare's "Othello" is also a very great book IMO. Above all thanks to the character called "Iago". This one is a true manipulator who ends...well... We can learn a lot from him in terms of management and also to "read" others' personalities. This is a very instructional book.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

"Madame" is my girlfriend...even if we are a couple for 9 years.

Another great book, from a French author called Alexandre Duma (father) is "The 3 musketeer". It is about the story of 3 musketeer, during Louis XIII reign. These 3 people are loyal to their king and build a very strong "team spirit" even if they have very different personalities.

Shakespeare's "Othello" is also a very great book IMO. Above all thanks to the character called "Iago". This one is a true manipulator who ends...well... We can learn a lot from him in terms of management and also to "read" others' personalities. This is a very instructional book.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I've read and very much enjoyed The Three Musketeers! You know, Canada was part of France at that time. Louis XIV was one of our country's most important leaders too.

Of course, Don Quixote is about the best novel ever. I've read about half of it laughing throughout.

Difficult, could probably list at least 500 at this point.....

Tao Te Ching,
Zhuang Zi,
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy,
Anything Permaculture/Eco Agriculture
Mycelium Running : How Mushrooms Can Help Save The World
Sun Tzu's Art of War
Reptiles in Love: Ending Destructive Fights and Evolving Toward More Loving Relationships.
Tao of Jeet Kune Do
Carl Jung : Man and his Symbols
and a bunch more...........

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom