all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Infrared sauna, portable sauna or infrared mat for recovery

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Do any of you on here use infrared saunas? or do you use and prefer traditional or steam saunas.
Would be infrared to find out which sauna you find the most beneficial and any results you go to be shared here would be amazing

I have used a more affordable infrared sauna some times, and the experience was far from a regular sauna, which I use multiple times a week. I'm really not a fan or a believer. I'd like to try a really fancy one some time, though.

I have a Clearlight far infrared / full spectrum sauna and love it. I alternate between that and an outdoor 104 degree hot tub depending on the weather.

I also use a dry sauna from time to time at a facility. While there are pros/cons to IR vs. dry sauna, I think they're minor in the grand scheme of things - they're both great additions to anyone's routine for longevity, heart health, heat shock protein production, mood elevation, etc.

I'm looking hard at an IR sauna myself but right now the barrier is climate. I don't have room in my house, and I don't know if one would withstand -40 celsius in winter while maintaining optimal function. Canada eh

I have used a more affordable infrared sauna some times, and the experience was far from a regular sauna, which I use multiple times a week. I'm really not a fan or a believer. I'd like to try a really fancy one some time, though.
My experience is similar. Wood fired saunas get a lot hotter. The sun lighten sauna I tried struggled to get to 120

My experience is similar. Wood fired saunas get a lot hotter. The sun lighten sauna I tried struggled to get to 120
It's a different type of heat. Much easier to breathe in (the surrounding air doesn't get nearly as hot) -- so you can stay in longer. Mine goes up to ~140 degrees, but I can stay in it for 45+ minutes. I also find that I sweat more.

Infared. I use Sunlighten. Easy to assemble on your own.

100% worth it. Def pay form themselves overtime.

As for the Climate "barrier", it would just take a little while to heat up when it gets cold. I used mine over winter and it just takes double time to heat up if its in the garage.

How about a proper wood fired sauna?

Haven't done enough research yet, but I've heard IR are more economical, heat up faster, cost less to run. I may be wrong though!
As for the Climate "barrier", it would just take a little while to heat up when it gets cold. I used mine over winter and it just takes double time to heat up if its in the garage.

Mine would be right outside, don't have the luxury unfortunately of having a better spot. And I'm more worried about wear and tear due to the extreme changes in climate. I'd have to talk with some suppliers here to really get a feel. Still in the early stages!

Haven't done enough research yet, but I've heard IR are more economical, heat up faster, cost less to run. I may be wrong though!

Mine would be right outside, don't have the luxury unfortunately of having a better spot. And I'm more worried about wear and tear due to the extreme changes in climate. I'd have to talk with some suppliers here to really get a feel. Still in the early stages!

Well, you wouldn't really have costs apart from building the thing and the wood to burn in it.

In general the separate saunas are better than ones inside a house since the ventilation can be much better.

How about one of these portable single person saunas that your head pops out of? It seems like it would solve any indoor/outdoor problems as it's quite small and can be disassembled in 1 minutes. It looks like a gimmick, but has anyone tried one or think it would do any good? Supposedly gets to 140-150 degrees, but I don't know if temperature is the only important thing.

Amazon product ASIN B01LEJACSK

It cracked me up when I saw a guy post his IR sauna pics on IG showing their 120 degree sauna in their air conditioned house during a 120 degree heat wave in texas.
Ha, exactly ! Go outside and mow the lawn, make yourself useful and get some hormesis while pushing a mower.

Ah yes, I missed the point. Texas on that day was very much like his indoor sauna, only worse with the humidity.

Last edited:
How about one of these portable single person saunas that your head pops out of? It seems like it would solve any indoor/outdoor problems as it's quite small and can be disassembled in 1 minutes. It looks like a gimmick, but has anyone tried one or think it would do any good? Supposedly gets to 140-150 degrees, but I don't know if temperature is the only important thing.

Amazon product ASIN B01LEJACSK
I had one of these; the Thera360 from Therasage. It was great, worked super well.

The thing I would caution against is buying one without doing some research… the cheaper ones emit a lot of EMF, which isn’t what you want in an IR sauna. The Therasage was very low EMF. I ended up liking it enough that I upgraded to a standing unit. There are also great IR blanket options now - I’ve heard good things about the ones from Higher Dose.

Regarding the temperature I usually set my electric sauna to about 90°C so 194°F. Throwing water on the rocks makes it feel hotter for short periods and I rarely have to make it hotter. But I would be disappointed if I couldn't get the sauna at least this hot.

The preferred temperature is or course an individual preference. But I would warn you that with more experience your preference may well go up.

The thing I would caution against is buying one without doing some research… the cheaper ones emit a lot of EMF, which isn’t what you want in an IR sauna.
I’ve always been confused about that. Isn’t IR a frequency of EMF? Or are there cheap components in some of them that leak outside the IR range like the original LED lights?

Yeah I didn’t make that clear, the guy who posted it thought it was a hilarious thing to do.
You were plenty clear, especially since I had just made a similar reference about AZ. And it is funny. Thinking I need to get more Alpha Brain and some Lion's Mane, and tyrosine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom