all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Initiating The Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt L

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello Friends,

It seems that my pressing pattern is off, and I cant initiate the press properly with a 32kg. I mean I cannot press it yet but I can atleast budge it 1 inch off the rack. I think I can get away with poor techniqur in lighter bells like a 24kg, but the 32kg is totally destroying me.

Do you have any tips on initiating the press? It seems that Im "leading" to much with my shoulder and instinctively trying to do a dumbell shoulder press of sorts. Do you have any tips or cues for me to engage other muscles to get the press going?

I really appreciate this forum and the knowledge I am able to acquire from it. Thank you all very much!

Think of the lat muscle as a shelf -- get it tight and press up from the lat.

Don't forget to squeeze your glutes! Also, squeeze the other hand. You can use something like a water bottle or stress ball for something to squeeze if you have trouble with nothing in the hand.

A video might help the generous teachers here to give you more specific feedback.

Hello giys thankyou for yout responses, I just want to clarrify on what using the lat as a shelf. How do I initiate the press with the lat?

Hello giys thankyou for yout responses, I just want to clarrify on what using the lat as a shelf. How do I initiate the press with the lat?

With the kettlebell in the rack, stand tall with a big chest. Squeeze your armpit (lat engaged). Now start the press by wedging under the bell -- it will feel like your shoulder is initially moving down, not up. Like you are wedging yourself under a doorframe.

@Matt L, a time-tested way to become stronger with a heavy press weight is to use the negative half of the pressing movement. Since your issue is the start, the protocol is simple - get the weight locked out overhead by means other than a press, e.g., a jerk, then lower under control. Since your issue is near the bottom, lower relatively quickly for the first part, then spend some quality time near where your issue is. Pause there, try to move a bit up and down there, etc.

-S-

@Matt L, a time-tested way to become stronger with a heavy press weight is to use the negative half of the pressing movement. Since your issue is the start, the protocol is simple - get the weight locked out overhead by means other than a press, e.g., a jerk, then lower under control. Since your issue is near the bottom, lower relatively quickly for the first part, then spend some quality time near where your issue is. Pause there, try to move a bit up and down there, etc.

-S-

I will try this out! :D Thank you!

lat muscle as a shelf abs as a spring grip as the trigger

I thought of this yesterday when pressing, and have to say really visualizing the lat as the shelf made my weaker arm feel MUCH better on the initial push. Thanks for this

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom