all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Injuries from BJJ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Exactly the information I was looking for. I'm 49 and I've emphasized joint mobility in my training for the last few years. I logged on today to find out if 49 is too old to start as a rank beginner. This thread gives me a little hope that maybe it is not too late.

My 2 cents: I started training BJJ as my only exercise before training strength, and I got nasty injuries, including hurting my ACL badly and a herniated disc in my lower back. I had zero ego in the gym, tapped early, but when we're a white belt training with other white belts, we just don't know how to do it. Also, all injuries happened towards the end of the session, where I was already gassed out and my decisions were not as sharp as in the beginning of the day.

I believe that it should be much safer to a person who have been working on their strength and endurance for a long time. Be extra careful!

My 2 cents: I started training BJJ as my only exercise before training strength, and I got nasty injuries, including hurting my ACL badly and a herniated disc in my lower back. I had zero ego in the gym, tapped early, but when we're a white belt training with other white belts, we just don't know how to do it. Also, all injuries happened towards the end of the session, where I was already gassed out and my decisions were not as sharp as in the beginning of the day.

I believe that it should be much safer to a person who have been working on their strength and endurance for a long time. Be extra careful!
This would be my assumption as well.

I also stated into BJJ without a foundation in strength training. Was chill when I rolled, and still got injuries.

I can’t say for sure, but several years ago I got into barbell compound lifts, and then, a few years back, kettlebells for strength. Since that time, I have not had any major injuries. Now I will say, I get overuse aches and pains (tendinitis in my elbows, finger aches and pains, etc) and the occasional “that was stupid” moment (posting my head to try and stop a kata garuma from top turtle was not one of my finer moments) that will have me sore for a few days, but nothing that has put me out of training for an extended time period (actually haven’t missed a single class due to injury in over 2 years)

Now I can’t say if my decline in injury rate is due to experience as a purple belt or from strengthening stabilizing muscles. But after the first few years, I can reasonably assume that I can train hard 5-6 times a week in BJJ and another 3-5 times with barbell and/or kettlebells and be generally fine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom