all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Injuries on S&S

A lot of people, myself included, have found that the windshield wiper is hard on the knee and causes pain. StrongFirst has even changed the standard to allow for a variant in the movement because of this.

I’ll definitely give that a try. Thank you for posting that.

on another note, when going from having a knee and hand on the ground to to half kneeling position, I like to sink my hips closer to the ground to take stress off of my lower back. It doesn’t look like most people do that. Is there anything wrong with me doing this?

I’ll definitely give that a try. Thank you for posting that.

on another note, when going from having a knee and hand on the ground to to half kneeling position, I like to sink my hips closer to the ground to take stress off of my lower back. It doesn’t look like most people do that. Is there anything wrong with me doing this?
I do that. Sometimes. I think rules do not forbid it. It will also change how your shoulder handles the load. It might look redundant, as a high bridge.

I’m at my parent’s house for Christmas and don’t have any kettlebells with me. Since I had so much pain in my upper shin I decided not to bring any. When I am sitting in a chair with my knee bent if I rub my fingers down that prominent bone at the top of the shin I get shooting pain just off to the side of that bone. I was playing around unweighted with the windshield wiper motion of the getup. I am not conscious of what I was doing before but if I pull my toes towards me with the ball of my foot on the ground it feels fine but if my toes are extended with the top of my foot on the ground it puts a lot of pressure on that bony protrusion of the upper shin I get that shooting pain. Again, I’m not sure now of what I was doing that led to the inflammation but I probably had my foot flat with the top of my foot on the ground.

that is not directly due to the position of my foot but because that boney part of the shin is not being forcefully pressed into the ground during the windshield wiper.

Last edited:
I’m at my parent’s house for Christmas and don’t have any kettlebells with me. Since I had so much pain in my upper shin I decided not to bring any. When I am sitting in a chair with my knee bent if I rub my fingers down that prominent bone at the top of the shin I get shooting pain just off to the side of that bone. I was playing around unweighted with the windshield wiper motion of the getup. I am not conscious of what I was doing before but if I pull my toes towards me with the ball of my foot on the ground it feels fine but if my toes are extended with the top of my foot on the ground it puts a lot of pressure on that bony protrusion of the upper shin I get that shooting pain. Again, I’m not sure now of what I was doing that led to the inflammation but I probably had my foot flat with the top of my foot on the ground.

that is not directly due to the position of my foot but because that boney part of the shin is not being forcefully pressed into the ground during the windshield wiper.
When I started doing TGU I was stepping up from the lunge position with my foot pointed and my weight applied to the instep. It took me ages to unlearn it.
Are you pushing on the ball of the foot in the same way Brett is in the video from his article?

When I started doing TGU I was stepping up from the lunge position with my foot pointed and my weight applied to the instep. It took me ages to unlearn it.
Are you pushing on the ball of the foot in the same way Brett is in the video from his article?
I would be on the ball of my back foot while coming up to the standing position. Sometimes I would push off more, sometimes less. I try to do as much as possible with the front leg to develop more leg strength. I don’t know what the senior instructors recommend because I don’t remember hearing them comment on it.

I don’t remember now if I was always on the ball of the back foot while doing the windshield wiper but now that I have the inflammation I will make sure to be on the ball of my back foot whether I do the windshield wiper or the alternate method.

I would be on the ball of my back foot while coming up to the standing position. Sometimes I would push off more, sometimes less. I try to do as much as possible with the front leg to develop more leg strength. I don’t know what the senior instructors recommend because I don’t remember hearing them comment on it.

I don’t remember now if I was always on the ball of the back foot while doing the windshield wiper but now that I have the inflammation I will make sure to be on the ball of my back foot whether I do the windshield wiper or the alternate method.
Okay, now I remember. If I am in the half kneeling position with my right knee down and on the ball of my right foot, I get a sharp pain in the big knuckle of my right big toe, especially if I push off. I knew there was something.

Okay, now I remember. If I am in the half kneeling position with my right knee down and on the ball of my right foot, I get a sharp pain in the big knuckle of my right big toe, especially if I push off. I knew there was something.
You can manage by shifting you weight a bit forward, squaring your hips by tightening your left butcheak, and think about doing a step-up, minimizing the push-off. Pushing off with the foot instead of stepping up is more reliable. For example, if I do it with the light weight, it can be almost like an air lunge for me.

Merry Christmas.
That's something to share with a professional physio I reckon.

Can I ask for a form check on the only lifts that I can almost always do pain free?
Training log, goblet squat and TASW
If they are fine, I will judge myself as "Competent" on those.

They are competent, yes... but we can always improve...

Swings, your hips are coming forward rather aggressively... I would seek to be stacked: ear, shoulder, hip, knee:

1672766359621.png1672766383586.png

"Stand tall" is the best cue -- As @Brett Jones says, "How tall are you? Be that tall at the top of your swing."

Goblet squats look good, though I would suggest a more slow and controlled descent.

They are competent, yes... but we can always improve...

Swings, your hips are coming forward rather aggressively... I would seek to be stacked: ear, shoulder, hip, knee:

View attachment 20181View attachment 20182

"Stand tall" is the best cue -- As @Brett Jones says, "How tall are you? Be that tall at the top of your swing."

Goblet squats look good, though I would suggest a more slow and controlled descent.
Thank you very much. I will try to improve further.
Well, at least I don't need to stretch my hip flexors that much :) . Must be my Eastern Europe heritage.
But seriously - this is a consistent flaw for me. I will discuss this with my SFG, and I will work on it.

Back
Top Bottom