all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Insomnia caused by training to failure?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dirty Harry

Level 4 Valued Member
Is it possible for high intensity strength training done to failure to be causing problems with sleep? I’ve been using this method for about 3 months, I basically do one workout a week, it consists of bodyweight movements done with a slow cadence to failure. I feel fine in general, but I have a very hard time with falling asleep and I often wake up several times during my sleeping hours. There are some sources saying that intense exercise might lead to sympathetic dominance, but they recommend doing roadwork/cardio/aerobics etc. and I’m sceptical about that. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

@Dirty Harry
What is your goal ?

I am not a huge fan of training to failure. It is exhausting on the long term and then tends to recovery issues. I tried for a short while with the same consequences you are describing.

IMHO, it is far better, if you want to make high rep sets, to go to a frame like "max rep-1". Even doing several sets on this frame. It can be efficient for muscular endurance if you do that with short rests (25s)

Kind regards,

Pet'

There are some sources saying that intense exercise might lead to sympathetic dominance, but they recommend doing roadwork/cardio/aerobics etc. and I’m sceptical about that. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I think that could be the case. Exercising to failure is stressful, your exercise adds stress, the stress combined with other stress in your life might elevate your stress hormones interfering with your sleep.

Shawn Stevenson has some great ideas about improving your sleep: Sleep Problems? Here's 21 Tips To Get The Best Sleep Ever - The Shawn Stevenson Model

But, once a week? That's an odd program.

Aerobic exercise at a low intensity, such as outline by the Maffetone method, is not stressful and can help build your body's ability to deal with stress. I think it's healthy for just about everyone.

Hello,

@Dirty Harry
What is your goal ?

I am not a huge fan of training to failure. It is exhausting on the long term and then tends to recovery issues. I tried for a short while with the same consequences you are describing.

IMHO, it is far better, if you want to make high rep sets, to go to a frame like "max rep-1". Even doing several sets on this frame. It can be efficient for muscular endurance if you do that with short rests (25s)

Kind regards,

Pet'
My current goals are maintaining a basic level of strength and general wellbeing. I guess I'll make a short break from working out and when I come back I'll try something like gtg.

I think that could be the case. Exercising to failure is stressful, your exercise adds stress, the stress combined with other stress in your life might elevate your stress hormones interfering with your sleep.

Shawn Stevenson has some great ideas about improving your sleep: Sleep Problems? Here's 21 Tips To Get The Best Sleep Ever - The Shawn Stevenson Model

But, once a week? That's an odd program.

Aerobic exercise at a low intensity, such as outline by the Maffetone method, is not stressful and can help build your body's ability to deal with stress. I think it's healthy for just about everyone.
Yeah that program might seem a bit odd, but if you read the work of Doug McGuff, Ellington Darden or Drew Baye it actually makes sense. Thanks for your tips!

overtraining definitely can cause an inability to sleep...if that's what it is, best to back off for some time. Training to failure usually achieves its objective. After some recovery, try to find a training level that makes you feel good & healthy!

Hello,

@Dirty Harry
My current goals are maintaining a basic level of strength and general wellbeing. I guess I'll make a short break from working out and when I come back I'll try something like gtg
So, you can use the Naked Warrior. That is a wonderful bodyweight program. If you have access to weights, add it either deadlifts or heavy swings (both with good form). However, GTG in itself implies a 5 - 6 days a week training to be efficient.

Otherwise, this program is based on an only bdw approach: The Anytime, Anywhere Bodyweight-Only Strength Program It is strength orientend.
This one: Strength Aerobics: “Conditioning” Workouts That Work so for you, the bdw part, works also pretty well. I use it when away from home for a long time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Dirty Harry

So, you can use the Naked Warrior. That is a wonderful bodyweight program. If you have access to weights, add it either deadlifts or heavy swings (both with good form). However, GTG in itself implies a 5 - 6 days a week training to be efficient.

Otherwise, this program is based on an only bdw approach: The Anytime, Anywhere Bodyweight-Only Strength Program It is strength orientend.
This one: Strength Aerobics: “Conditioning” Workouts That Work so for you, the bdw part, works also pretty well. I use it when away from home for a long time.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom