all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Inspirational Quote from S/S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
" No matter how strong you are, there will always be someone stronger than you. Using only a number as a litmus test of whether you are strong or not is self defeating. You will get older. You will not be able to continue to set personal all time bests forever. But you can continue to get stronger mentally. You can adjust to whatever the environment is and challenge yourself to push past wherever you are at the moment in any way you can, and feel good knowing you just made yourself a better man or woman."

Approaching 40 next year and this really rings a bell. I don't like to absorb too many "motivational" quotes but there are a few that I try to live by.
Looking to put this up on the wall in the garage..

" No matter how strong you are, there will always be someone stronger than you. Using only a number as a litmus test of whether you are strong or not is self defeating. You will get older. You will not be able to continue to set personal all time bests forever. But you can continue to get stronger mentally. You can adjust to whatever the environment is and challenge yourself to push past wherever you are at the moment in any way you can, and feel good knowing you just made yourself a better man or woman."

Approaching 40 next year and this really rings a bell. I don't like to absorb too many "motivational" quotes but there are a few that I try to live by.
Awesome. What page is that from?

Sean, I'm not sure of the page in the physical book but on the kindle it appears just before Simple Sinister summarized at the end. I've never noticed it before, but it really rings a bell with me at the moment.

Pavel's quotability and ability to quote other people are a couple of reasons why I highly enjoy him as a writer and not just as a strength coach.

I think as Pavel ages we will get even more gems like this one.

There are so many moving parts in S&S and so many quotable insights in the book. On my first reading of it this made me stand up and changed my mindset of doing what I did, what I've always done and what I would have continued to do.
And it encouraged me to find out more....

Interestingly, muscles with a high ratio of slow fibers tend to congregate deeper, next to the bones. And slower fibers within any muscle tend to be deeper in the muscle. These two pieces of trivia should give you a hint as to why it is so hard to relieve some knots with massage and foam rollers—they are hard to reach. Do not create the problem in the first place.......

Do not create the problem in the first place. Genius.

Well... like how Simple is attainable and maintainable for most but beyond that may not be for most.

Reactions: Rif
Sean, I'm not sure of the page in the physical book but on the kindle it appears just before Simple Sinister summarized at the end. I've never noticed it before, but it really rings a bell with me at the moment.
Me too. Luckily I've been so well educated by his books and these forums that my sore right shoulder isn't stopping me from getting strong and stronger - just in new ways.

Looked it up in hard copy, it’s actually Pavel quoting Mark Reifkind. Great way to end the book.

Looked it up in hard copy, it’s actually Pavel quoting Mark Reifkind. Great way to end the book.
I JUST read that yesterday with Pavel as the author and thought " is that mine?" lol. Thanks for reminding me and to Pavel for giving me props

Well... like how Simple is attainable and maintainable for most but beyond that may not be for most.
I can't do getups because of my shoulders but I've done the swing test of Sinister with the 48 kg at age 60 and 75 kg bodyweight.
It's doable for most IF they have the patience. It took me three years of consistent training to achieve it :)

I can't do getups because of my shoulders but I've done the swing test of Sinister with the 48 kg at age 60 and 75 kg bodyweight.
It's doable for most IF they have the patience. It took me three years of consistent training to achieve it :)
Do you maintain it, or if not, what do you do to build on top of it?

I’m still building the base with the same training but have added in some even heavier work with the 52 and 68 kg bells.
Not planning on testing anytime soon. That 48 test scarred me lol
What do you do with the super heavy bells? You may be giving me some ideas.

More one arm
Swings. Five sets of 5/5 with the 52 and then the same with the 68. I cycle the weight each week

I don't think I attributed the quote to Pavel as such but thanks Sean for clarifying. It's a tremendous quote, one which I wouldn't have have a second glance in my twenties and early thirties. At my current age (39) and as someone who has used the S/S program on and off for a number of years I find it very inspirational..thanks @Rif

I JUST read that yesterday with Pavel as the author and thought " is that mine?" lol. Thanks for reminding me and to Pavel for giving me props
I like how Pavel gives credit where credit is due.
Today on the train I reread the TGU chapter and Pavel clearly states that the exercise was introduced to him by Steve Maxwell and uses a lot of quotes from Gray Cook to describe the exercise and how it is taught. I know this should be common practice, but it's not, especially in the world of fitness.

Sorry Rif, but you have been seriously in the game for more than three decades and can't compare yourself to the average guy :)
Hypthetically 95+% of the population should be able to reach Sinister (meaning their body would be able to if trained and fed properly), realistically I'd say even 1% would be optimistic.

Yes Pavel has always given credit where credit is due, no matter what the circumstances. A truly admirable, and rare trait.

However I am very tired of hearing that some how I am "special" because of what I have done. Let me tell you I started out way below average. I was a complete spaz when I tried to do gymnastics and did things wrong a million plus times before I did them right once.

What I did, and do, have going for me is a serious passion to be the best I can be and a stubbornness to just not quit. It can be argued that is a special trait but the real key is discipline, determination and drive.

Now perhaps the getup is out of reach of most but not the swings. those are as low skill as can be. Just have to not quit when it gets tough

But thanks for the props :)

Yes Pavel has always given credit where credit is due, no matter what the circumstances. A truly admirable, and rare trait.

However I am very tired of hearing that some how I am "special" because of what I have done. Let me tell you I started out way below average. I was a complete spaz when I tried to do gymnastics and did things wrong a million plus times before I did them right once.

What I did, and do, have going for me is a serious passion to be the best I can be and a stubbornness to just not quit. It can be argued that is a special trait but the real key is discipline, determination and drive.

Now perhaps the getup is out of reach of most but not the swings. those are as low skill as can be. Just have to not quit when it gets tough

But thanks for the props :)

Weird, because I have already done the getups with the 48kg bell - 6 of them in a row - I stopped because I felt a bit wobbly and was playing it safe. It's the swings that have been more the problem for me towards Sinister, but I'll get there, I'm sure. I'm just not sure if Sinister is something people truly maintain, or if they do it to learn something special about strength, and then go back to Solid or even Simple to keep in shape for their daily life.

It's the swings that have been more the problem for me towards Sinister, but I'll get there, I'm sure. I'm just not sure if Sinister is something people truly maintain, or if they do it to learn something special about strength, and then go back to Solid or even Simple to keep in shape for their daily life.

I find myself progressing much faster with the get ups as well.

Weird, because I have already done the getups with the 48kg bell - 6 of them in a row - I stopped because I felt a bit wobbly and was playing it safe. It's the swings that have been more the problem for me towards Sinister, but I'll get there, I'm sure. I'm just not sure if Sinister is something people truly maintain, or if they do it to learn something special about strength, and then go back to Solid or even Simple to keep in shape for their daily life.
It took me three years of consistent progessive training with one arm swings twice a week ( once heavy and once for speed and volume work) to get to the 48

The key imo is to have a progressive program that is followed.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom