all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Intensity vs Volume for each particular lift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Well, sure. But think of the program as the individual itself. The program (the one Pavel was designing I mean) has a certain volume, average intensity and frequency. If a lifter would not thrive on such volume, then it wouldn't make sense to do the exact same program, with less volume. Because the frequency and intensity were picked to work with that volume in the first place.

So if I decrease the volume in a program, then it follows I'd have to increase frequency or intensity somewhat to obtain a similar training effect.

That's all I meant.

I think this is ultimately what I'm getting at. Saying there's a "balance" is incredibly vague. I'm looking to quantify it slightly by saying which of the two variables (volume or intensity) should be manipulated mostly, for a particular lift.

Assuming we're interested in strength, then the idea is that some lifts will respond better to sets of 5, while others will respond better to doubles for instance.

Maybe it sounds obvious, it just wasn't to me. I have been very guilty of grabbing Squat/DL/Bench programs, and using them for Pressing/Dipping/Pistols. I now realize this isn't as foolproof as I thought.

the "balance" becomes obvious whether one is going in the right direction or not. If the combination of volume and intensity is not producing the results I want it becomes very obvious very quickly

For instance, I recently cut my volume on my heavy OAS day by 25% but increasing the intensity of the weight by 10%( 200 swings with the 48 to 100 with the 52 kg).
Theoretically I thought the drop in volume would be make up by the increase in weight but it didn't work out that way.

4 weeks after my best 200 OAS workout with the 48 I was getting WEAKER not stronger! So I immediately dropped the load back and three weeks later had the strongest 200 swing day yet.

Experiment, observe, adapt.

Obtaining 'balance' is a bit vague but so is training, especially at the higher end. That's why training is as much art as science.

Or more.

Hello,

On the long run, I think it is possible to increase simultaneously weight and intensity.

For instance, related to swings: I started doing them daily, @20kg (2H). I progressively made my way to currently 40. My sessions are shorter (so I increase intensit), and I daily use a bell twice heavier (weight). I admit that the process is pretty long.

To a certain extent, the more you train, the more you can add volume because your body learns and adapt.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' two hand swings are much more manageable than the same done with one arms. think how this would be if the 40 kg was an 80 kg- a bit different. One arm swings are a much different animal and no, I don't believe you can adapt to linear increases to volume and intensity indefinitely. Not by any means. Recovery will always be the limiting factor

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom