all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Interesting Buteyko experiment

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
Today I was running on the treadmill after my ROP presses. I was running at8 km/ h at 152 beats per minute. I decided to reduce my breathing rate and see what happened with my heart rate. This is the graph:

20190504_003757.jpg

Before the reduced breathing, my HR was steady 152. During the reduced breathing, my heart rate reduced to 140, that can be seen in the graph where it first touched the red zone. After the reduced breathing, my heart raised again, but to a lower steady level of 146. During this period I kept running at the same speed.

I'm a bit surprised by the result. In particular, the reduction of 6 bpm in the steady state before and after the breath holds. 6 bpm is a lot.

@Harald Motz IIRC you usually row doing reduced breathing, right? Have you noticed something like this?

How do you do this? I suppose this is Buteyko technique?
Abdul, you just have to do a breath hold until you really need to breathe. Then you breathe in little air, and hold again. Then repeat a few more times. When I first started I found it easier while walking. Its very powerful medicine that affects the body in lots of ways.

@Al Ciampa @Steve Freides I was familiar with this phenomenon because when I first started Buteyko my resting heart rate dropped from 60 to 50. However, in this case, seeing it on a graph with all other variables remaining equal, made it much more clear.

That is interesting indeed! I assume you felt fresh and good to go after the reduced breathing?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom